• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Truth Seeking--An Alternative to Theism Versus Atheism

I might be very unusual, but I really have no ideological agendas in the normal sense of the term "ideological agenda." In other words, I have no set of ideas, beliefs, or dogmas that I love and defend. I just go with valid logic and evidence hoping that by doing so I will arrive at "the truth." Taking this approach I don't know where I will end up but only that I'm likely to get there. So regarding religious claims and counterclaims, I might end up as an atheist or--heaven forbid--a theist--even a Christian.

So what is "truth seeking"? How do you seek the truth? My approach is to first set aside my biases and my predispositions as much as I can starting with a clean slate, an open mind. I then proceed to study and learn as much as I can about sound thinking which involves learning valid logic and the facts especially the facts of science.

And that's essentially truth seeking. I like it although it's not obviously for everybody.
If you currently don't hold a belief in a God(Gods) then you are an atheist.
I suppose I am an atheist depending on what you mean by that label. I might be described as a "rational atheist" because I doubt the existence of Gods based on sound reasoning.
Have you actually gone into that reasoning?
Compare that kind of atheism to the emotional atheism so prevalent here at IIDB. IIDB atheism is rooted in hatred for religion and a "do whatever it takes--right or wrong" attitude to weaken religious belief and oppose naysayers.
1) You are taking your self and your opinions way too seriously.
2) The amount of religious knowledge on this website is pretty impressive, even in the diluted form the web board stands from where it was.

As a seeker of truth I cannot practice that kind of atheism which so often opposes the truth.
But so far at this web board all you've done is strawman / broad brush people here, while denoting how wise you are. You haven't sought out truth, you can't even accurately recall the positions presented by people here.

I might be very unusual, but I really have no ideological agendas in the normal sense of the term "ideological agenda." In other words, I have no set of ideas, beliefs, or dogmas that I love and defend. I just go with valid logic and evidence hoping that by doing so I will arrive at "the truth." Taking this approach I don't know where I will end up but only that I'm likely to get there. So regarding religious claims and counterclaims, I might end up as an atheist or--heaven forbid--a theist--even a Christian.

So what is "truth seeking"? How do you seek the truth? My approach is to first set aside my biases and my predispositions as much as I can starting with a clean slate, an open mind. I then proceed to study and learn as much as I can about sound thinking which involves learning valid logic and the facts especially the facts of science.

And that's essentially truth seeking. I like it although it's not obviously for everybody.
If you currently don't hold a belief in a God(Gods) then you are an atheist.
I suppose I am an atheist depending on what you mean by that label. I might be described as a "rational atheist" because I doubt the existence of Gods based on sound reasoning.
Have you actually gone into that reasoning?
Of course. For example, prayer is impotent which is good evidence against the existence of a God.
Compare that kind of atheism to the emotional atheism so prevalent here at IIDB. IIDB atheism is rooted in hatred for religion and a "do whatever it takes--right or wrong" attitude to weaken religious belief and oppose naysayers.
1) You are taking your self and your opinions way too seriously.
2) The amount of religious knowledge on this website is pretty impressive, even in the diluted form the web board stands from where it was.
I can't argue against opinions.
As a seeker of truth I cannot practice that kind of atheism which so often opposes the truth.
But so far at this web board all you've done is strawman / broad brush people here, while denoting how wise you are.
Do you want me to deny these allegations?
You haven't sought out truth, you can't even accurately recall the positions presented by people here.
Can you blame me if I'd rather forget?

Back
Top Bottom