• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tucker Carlson on the history of Illegal immigration

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
I'm no expert on illegal or legal immigration to the USA. But I am curious. I'm personally very pro-immigration in my own country. What do you make of this video? Can anybody debunk it? Is it accurate?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUU2iWxrH2M [/youtube]

PS - Why does Tucker Carlson always look like he's in a state of perpetual confusion?

Tucker Carlson isn't an expert on anything either. I didn't (and won't) watch the video, but you should probably find a better source (try google), unless you want to see what the idiots are saying about it. He might get a fact or two right, mind you, but he's an idiot and is probably just repeating what his handlers told him to say.

Tucker Carlson isn't an expert on anything either. I didn't (and won't) watch the video, but you should probably find a better source (try google), unless you want to see what the idiots are saying about it. He might get a fact or two right, mind you, but he's an idiot and is probably just repeating what his handlers told him to say.

Its a video from "Prager U", which is a right wing series of videos that I expect to have a heavy rightward bias and to speak to me from the other side of the issue that I myself am on, which is why I watched it instead of something that will only reinforce my pre-existing thoughts. It is articulate and sensible at a surface level. I was wondering if anyone here would challenge the points made in it, or if they are accurate but just leaving out the obvious other (liberal) side of the issue.

I'm rather extreme to the other side, as somebody who like yourself, is a world traveler. I don't have feelings of tribal protection, and see many hard working immigrants as meriting a place in our society far far more than lazy asses who were simply born here. I'd deport many more home-born people than immigrant people if I could. Accident of birth shouldn't dictate your opportunities any more than nature requires. Merit should.

How does that video challenge any of your beliefs about immigration?

I'm no expert on illegal or legal immigration to the USA. But I am curious. I'm personally very pro-immigration in my own country. What do you make of this video? Can anybody debunk it? Is it accurate?
Much in the video is fact, some I haven't heard so can't say one way or the other but I would expect that it was fact checked because not to would make it too easy to debunk. The problem is in the attribution of purpose to those mentioned... being able to read minds is something a bit beyond humans (well except for me ;))
Like Canadians, the vast majority of those in the US think legal immigration is a good thing - approximately a million legal aliens are granted citizenship each year. Like Canadians, the vast majority of those in the US don't like illegal aliens entering the country - well until about five years ago when the Democratic leadership decided to stop opposing it. Before that, Both Clintons, Shumer, Obama, etc. were quite vocal about their stance of stopping aliens from entering illegally.
PS - Why does Tucker Carlson always look like he's in a state of perpetual confusion?

:confused: Maybe it is because he is perpetually confused.

So much bullshit, it boggles the mind.

Of course Carlson is a right wing lunatic, so it isn't surprising that he'd lead with "the open borders left." He uses that to tee off on the premise that the "left" has somehow changed from immigration hawks, to advocating for "open borders." Then he piles on the bullshit, claiming that the real goal is a "permanent electoral majority." Fear mongering, plain and simple.

This isn't history. It's right wing propaganda. Not surprising coming from Prager/Fox.

How does that video challenge any of your beliefs about immigration?

I ask this because the video is mostly claims, some factual some opinion, about the left's attitudes toward immigration. I don't see how that should affect your opinion on immigration itself.

Ironically, Tucker Carlson and the right like to pay homage to the Founding Fathers and the way things used to be, but the US had an open borders policy for its first 100 years. George Washington was a founding member of the open borders left I guess.

Ahh, Tucker, or Constipated Alex Keaton, as I think of him. One of my favorite Tucker moments was in 2012, when Obama had made some remarks at a rally using a broad Southern 'field hand' type voice. Fox News was going out of its collective head with the clip, trying to imply that Obama was racist by feigning the dialect. Tucker called it a 'disqualifying' performance. Disqualifying!!! He's now had years of obscene and abusive speech from Trump, including blatant misogyny, excuses for white nationalists, outright calls for assaulting your political foes, calling people sons of bitches, and oh yes, lies, lies, lies and yet more lies and lies and lies. None of it reaches the bar of disqualification, I'm guessing. (It's a guess because I don't willingly listen to or watch any of Tucker's ilk.)

Ahh, Tucker, or Constipated Alex Keaton, as I think of him. One of my favorite Tucker moments was in 2012, when Obama had made some remarks at a rally using a broad Southern 'field hand' type voice. Fox News was going out of its collective head with the clip, trying to imply that Obama was racist by feigning the dialect. Tucker called it a 'disqualifying' performance. Disqualifying!!! He's now had years of obscene and abusive speech from Trump, including blatant misogyny, excuses for white nationalists, outright calls for assaulting your political foes, calling people sons of bitches, and oh yes, lies, lies, lies and yet more lies and lies and lies. None of it reaches the bar of disqualification, I'm guessing. (It's a guess because I don't willingly listen to or watch any of Tucker's ilk.)

Tucker doesn't support Trump last I checked, no.

Maybe you should check what actual historians have to say about it rather some random pundit.

Huh. Tucker Carlson has been spouting white supremacist arguments more and more lately, so it's no surprise that he's yelling about this.

The reason white supremacists are so worked up about immigration is that they are deeply concerned about the fact that non-white immigrants are let in at all, as this makes their dream of ethnic cleansing and gaining a white ethnostate more difficult to achieve.

After all, white people are now a plurality instead of a majority. Isn't that why white supremacists such as, say, the various FOX News personalities and most of the Republican party are so angry about immigration? Isn't that why so many non-white legal immigrants are facing various law enforcement "mistakes" and why those "mistakes" never seem to extend to white immigrants who may not be here legally?

As a kid in the 50s n the NYC area WOP meant without passport referring mainly to Italians. Wet back refers to illegal Mexican immigrants.

In the big waves of European immigration through Ellis Island you did not need a passport or documentation.

my wife calls that "sitting bitch face"... the expression, that is. Usually used around these parts to describe someone's expression when they just naturally look like they are smelling something bad.

- - - Updated - - -

When did TC quit wearing bow ties?

like a decade ago. unfortunately, the reduction in pressure from the bow tie has caused his face to deflate.

Carlson is a goofy mealy mouth whimpering running embarrassment.

He is an empty headed shallow script reader.

Carlson is a goofy mealy mouth whimpering running embarrassment.

He is an empty headed shallow script reader.

Is there anything that you dislike about him? :)

Not really. Although he seems to be fearful of the teleprompter.

That's just his sitting bitch face... he always looks like that... except when he is pretending to laugh at a guest that evades his misdirection attempts... then his face contorts in a really scary way.
I watch Fox regularly, but can't really stand to look (or listen) to him for more than a few seconds at a time between commercials on MSNBC and CNN.
I thought his show was getting canceled due to a lack of willing advertisers.

That's just his sitting bitch face... he always looks like that... except when he is pretending to laugh at a guest that evades his misdirection attempts... then his face contorts in a really scary way.
I watch Fox regularly, but can't really stand to look (or listen) to him for more than a few seconds at a time between commercials on MSNBC and CNN.

I watch FOX for entertainment. It is hilarious as they wipe Trump's ass.. You won't find many FOX supporters around here.

I watch FOX for entertainment. It is hilarious as they wipe Trump's ass.. You won't find many FOX supporters around here.

I watch / read lots of sources.... and fully trust none. Occasionally, some "breaking news" story (and by "breaking news", MSNBC means "now that we are back from the commercial break, let us remind you about what you were just listening to 3 minutes ago, you stupid idiot") will be all over the liberal side of media, so I switch over to Fox and it just cracks me up to literally see kittens on the screen, and the headline is "Renting to Cats".
Fucking kittens... really.

Back
Top Bottom