• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

"
Double Dealing
The social network formerly known as Twitter and now called X has for the better part of the past decade been involved in a lawsuit suing the US government"

Why do people keep referring to X as anything other than X?

It's a social media platform known as X, and has been for a while. That's how the owner decided to do things.
Why do people not just refer to it by it's name?
Tom
That's the problem you have with the above post???
Oh hell no. I disliked Twitter before Musk came along and Xucked it up.

I do find it amusing that after all this time people feel the need to refer to X that way. Also that people get upset when that's pointed out.
X isn't a particularly useful name. It sounds as dumb as the Tesla Truck looks.

See that post on X?
Post on what?
The thing that used to be Twitter.
Oh, yeah that...

How many corporations are a single letter name? Companies go out of their way to add a third letter, like the Railroad CSX where the CSX stands for... Chessie Systems ... third letter of an acronym.

Corporations, their name, their image are prized. Musk took one of the only valuable things the company had, flushed it... to make a weak point that really wasn't all that well made at that. And calling X Twitter isn't the same as bragging about holding on to a Aunt Jemima syrup bottle because the person can't handle getting rid of the 19th century racist imagery.

And lets not forget about inertia. It took me a year to get Guardians in my brain. I still call Progressive Field, Jacobs Field, refer to the Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse as The Gund.
I'm pretty sure that a bunch of snowflake liberals would be annoyed if I referred to Caitlin formerly known as Bruce, instead of her name Caitlyn Jenner.
I realize that SCOTUS is trying to convince people otherwise, but corporations aren't people, you can't hurt their feelings.

I realize that SCOTUS is trying to convince people otherwise, but corporations aren't people, you can't hurt their feelings.
I honestly had no idea it was going to become a discussion. To me, it was just a minor aside.

If anything, I kinda feel a twinge of shadenfreude. Every time Musk and Team see "X formerly known as twitter" it's a reminder of how stupid it was to rename, much less the dumb choice of name.

Of course, that presumes that there's at least a tiny chink in Musk's armored ego.
Tom

I do find it amusing that after all this time people feel the need to refer to X that way. Also that people get upset when that's pointed out.

I'm pretty sure that a bunch of snowflake liberals would be annoyed if I referred to Caitlin formerly known as Bruce, instead of her name Caitlyn Jenner.
Sure people would get annoyed. But I think it's because of context. Dead naming is linked to trans phobia. I still occasionally call Myanmar Burma, Mumbai Bombay and Hungry Jacks Burger King even though they changed the name in Australia over 20 years ago. But that's not because I'm pushing a bigoted ideology - I'm just an old fart with a shitty memory.

The other reason (and this is only my opinion), is that I reckon being trans is about as much a choice as being gay. Which is to say not much. However, Musk chose to change the name. Musk chose to keep the URL as Twitter (give it a go, type twitter.com into your search bar and see if you go to X or get a 404 response). And more importantly Musk chose to be an obnoxious cunt. The context and circumstance behind calling X Twitter and the example you gave are vastly different.

Also, I can't help but shake the feeling that like how St Petersburg for a brief period of its life experimented with being identified as Leningrad, Musk will eventually get tired of his plaything and it will revert back to Twitter.

Sure people would get annoyed. But I think it's because of context.

I still think it's amusing that my throwaway, one off, comment is a big subject of discussion.
I don't see it as particularly important. I didn't expect anyone to respond with more than a behind the screen eye rolling.
The fact that it did become a topic of discussion tells me more about IIDB posters than what anyone said.
Tom

"Some More News" - tries to be like John Oliver's Last Week Tonight, mixing comedy with covering something newsworthy. The comedy is kinda so-so. They do better with the sarcastic remarks than the skits they use to break things up. The news portions are pretty good.

"
Double Dealing
The social network formerly known as Twitter and now called X has for the better part of the past decade been involved in a lawsuit suing the US government"

Why do people keep referring to X as anything other than X?

It's a social media platform known as X, and has been for a while. That's how the owner decided to do things.
Why do people not just refer to it by it's name?
Tom
That's the problem you have with the above post???

X isn't a particularly useful name. It sounds as dumb as the Tesla Truck looks.

See that post on X?
Post on what?
The thing that used to be Twitter.
Oh, yeah that...

How many corporations are a single letter name? Companies go out of their way to add a third letter, like the Railroad CSX where the CSX stands for... Chessie Systems ... third letter of an acronym.

Corporations, their name, their image are prized. Musk took one of the only valuable things the company had, flushed it... to make a weak point that really wasn't all that well made at that. And calling X Twitter isn't the same as bragging about holding on to a Aunt Jemima syrup bottle because the person can't handle getting rid of the 19th century racist imagery.

And lets not forget about inertia. It took me a year to get Guardians in my brain. I still call Progressive Field, Jacobs Field, refer to the Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse as The Gund.
I’m with you Tom, and for even more reasons…

Every time someone does Musk the favor (IMO) of giving the former name, they are providing him with training wheels to mitigate his stupid mistake.

I would like it if all media, and all people called it “X” the way he asked, and his stupid decision drives his product to ground all by itself without everyone trying to give him a helpful hand in keeping it afloat by linking to former glory.

Sorry, Musk. You asked for the bicycle. If you can’t ride it, then I’m not in favor of handing you training wheels to pretend you can.

Every time someone does Musk the favor (IMO) of giving the former name, they are providing him with training wheels to mitigate his stupid mistake.

I would like it if all media, and all people called it “X” the way he asked, and his stupid decision drives his product to ground all by itself without everyone trying to give him a helpful hand in keeping it afloat by linking to former glory.

Sorry, Musk. You asked for the bicycle. If you can’t ride it, then I’m not in favor of handing you training wheels to pretend you can.
Musk supports deadnaming people. People are deadnaming his company in response.

"X" is a short name that is not very distinctive. "Twitter" is a much better name. So I think that the company deserves to be deadnamed.

"X" is much better in a compound, like 'Xbox" and "SpaceX".

"X" is a short name that is not very distinctive. "Twitter" is a much better name. So I think that the company deserves to be deadnamed.

Don't forget "bullXhit" !

I really like that one.
Tom

I really like that one.
Tom
Multiple languages have appropriated "x" to cover a sound not covered by normal English letters: "sh". Thus it should be "bullxit".

There is one other consideration about calling it Twitter.

It's website address!

I really like that one.
Tom
Multiple languages have appropriated "x" to cover a sound not covered by normal English letters: "sh". Thus it should be "bullxit".
Just be reasonable.

Do it my way.

Tom

Twitter alternative Post News is shutting down - The Verge - "The publisher-focused platform is going away after less than two years."
Post News, a Twitter alternative that emerged in the wake of Elon Musk’s takeover, is shutting down. Noam Bardin, the platform’s founder and former CEO of Waze, writes that Post News “is not growing fast enough to become a real business or a significant platform.”

The Andreessen Horowitz-backed platform launched in a closed beta in November 2022, but now it’s set to shutter “within the next few weeks.” It serves as a social platform that also offers users ad-free access to paywalled content from publishers such as Fortune, Business Insider, Wired, The Boston Globe, and others. All users have to do is pay a “few cents” per article instead of signing up for a subscription to each publication.

... However, the cost of keeping the platform running seems to have outweighed user activity.

“We built a toxicity-free community, a platform where Publishers engage, and an app that validated many theories around Micropayments and consumers’ willingness to purchase individual articles,” Bardin writes. “A consumer business, at its core, needs to show rapid consumer adoption and we have not managed to find the right product combination to make it happen.”
post.news - Post - Feed

But several Twitter alternatives are still standing — and all of them are part of the fediverse, which means they’re open to sharing their content with other social platforms. The decentralized platforms Mastodon and Bluesky are still going strong, while Meta’s Threads launched its fediverse beta in March and added Taylor Swift to its user base.

Pebble, the Twitter alternative previously known as T2, is shutting down | TechCrunch - 9:00 AM PDT • October 24, 2023
The grip Twitter, now called X, has on the market may be stronger than some believed. Unfortunately, that’s led to the first casualty among Twitter alternatives, as the startup Pebble (formerly T2), is shutting down. The would-be X rival had grown a small but engaged community on its microblogging service that aimed to dupe Twitter’s features, from its verification systems to functionality like DMs. But the company says they’ve run out of time to make Pebble happen — the app maxed out at 3,000 daily active users, out of 20,000 registered users. That daily user figure fell to 1,000 daily users following its rebranding from T2.

In part, the sizable competition coming from other Twitter rivals was to blame, says co-founder and CEO Gabor Cselle, who had exits to Google and Twitter prior to starting Pebble.

Threads’ fediverse beta opens to share your posts on Mastodon, too - The Verge

The fediverse, explained: Mastodon, Threads, and the open future of social networking - The Verge - "The buzziest new thing in social networking is a big deal. It’s also very confusing. And it’s not actually new. Let’s talk about it."
So what is the fediverse?

It’s an interconnected social platform ecosystem based on an open protocol called ActivityPub, which allows you to port your content, data, and follower graph between networks.

What?

Ugh, I know. Let me try again.

The fediverse is as if you took X, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook and made them all interoperable so you could post anything from anywhere, and all your followers would be guaranteed to see it. And if you wanted to leave one platform for another, you could bring all your content, all your followers, all your everything with you.

Twitter alternative Post News is shutting down - The Verge - "The publisher-focused platform is going away after less than two years."
Post News, a Twitter alternative that emerged in the wake of Elon Musk’s takeover, is shutting down. Noam Bardin, the platform’s founder and former CEO of Waze, writes that Post News “is not growing fast enough to become a real business or a significant platform.”

The Andreessen Horowitz-backed platform launched in a closed beta in November 2022, but now it’s set to shutter “within the next few weeks.” It serves as a social platform that also offers users ad-free access to paywalled content from publishers such as Fortune, Business Insider, Wired, The Boston Globe, and others. All users have to do is pay a “few cents” per article instead of signing up for a subscription to each publication.

... However, the cost of keeping the platform running seems to have outweighed user activity.

“We built a toxicity-free community, a platform where Publishers engage, and an app that validated many theories around Micropayments and consumers’ willingness to purchase individual articles,” Bardin writes. “A consumer business, at its core, needs to show rapid consumer adoption and we have not managed to find the right product combination to make it happen.”
post.news - Post - Feed

But several Twitter alternatives are still standing — and all of them are part of the fediverse, which means they’re open to sharing their content with other social platforms. The decentralized platforms Mastodon and Bluesky are still going strong, while Meta’s Threads launched its fediverse beta in March and added Taylor Swift to its user base.
Never heard of it.

Pebble, the Twitter alternative previously known as T2, is shutting down | TechCrunch - 9:00 AM PDT • October 24, 2023
The grip Twitter, now called X, has on the market may be stronger than some believed. Unfortunately, that’s led to the first casualty among Twitter alternatives, as the startup Pebble (formerly T2), is shutting down. The would-be X rival had grown a small but engaged community on its microblogging service that aimed to dupe Twitter’s features, from its verification systems to functionality like DMs. But the company says they’ve run out of time to make Pebble happen — the app maxed out at 3,000 daily active users, out of 20,000 registered users. That daily user figure fell to 1,000 daily users following its rebranding from T2.

In part, the sizable competition coming from other Twitter rivals was to blame, says co-founder and CEO Gabor Cselle, who had exits to Google and Twitter prior to starting Pebble.

Threads’ fediverse beta opens to share your posts on Mastodon, too - The Verge

The fediverse, explained: Mastodon, Threads, and the open future of social networking - The Verge - "The buzziest new thing in social networking is a big deal. It’s also very confusing. And it’s not actually new. Let’s talk about it."
So what is the fediverse?

It’s an interconnected social platform ecosystem based on an open protocol called ActivityPub, which allows you to port your content, data, and follower graph between networks.

What?

Ugh, I know. Let me try again.

The fediverse is as if you took X, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook and made them all interoperable so you could post anything from anywhere, and all your followers would be guaranteed to see it. And if you wanted to leave one platform for another, you could bring all your content, all your followers, all your everything with you.
Another one I never heard of.

Back
Top Bottom