• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US professor fired after mixing up two black students in class, sending bizarre email

But instead, the world gets another Metaphor thread.
I am so glad I am appreciated enough that people come on to my threads even when they have no interest in the particular subject matter.

I deserved that. I think I'm missing something here. The reporting seems so vague. From what I can gather, Trogan mistaking one student for another was the stick that broke the camel's back in an already strained relationship with the students that were mistaken (in his eyes)? Then his attempt to apologize (for something said students thought was trivial despite things (if there were things) appeared overreaching setting of needless alarms? Then the administration told him to beat it after being CC'd along with 80 something other students his request that they decide whether or not he should still work there?

SMH, if that's the case I would have fired him too.

But instead, the world gets another Metaphor thread.
I am so glad I am appreciated enough that people come on to my threads even when they have no interest in the particular subject matter.

I deserved that. I think I'm missing something here. The reporting seems so vague. From what I can gather, Trogan mistaking one student for another was the stick that broke the camel's back in an already strained relationship with the students that were mistaken (in his eyes)? Then his attempt to apologize (for something said students thought was trivial despite things (if there were things) appeared overreaching setting of needless alarms? Then the administration told him to beat it after being CC'd along with 80 something other students his request that they decide whether or not he should still work there?

SMH, if that's the case I would have fired him too.
Well, it wasn't really a stick that broke the camel's back, because there had been no complaints of any kind against him before the name incident. My understanding of the events (and my commentary) is this:
  • Trogan mixed up the name of one student with another over the course of four classes
  • The students were upset by this and wrote him (Trogan) a letter. That letter stated that they thought it happened because both students were black (in my opinion, the students were deliberately invoking the spectre of a race incident to make sure Trogan would get anxious)
  • Trogan wrote a lengthy email to all the students in his class, defending himself (in my opinion, he was terrified that since the spectre of race had been invoked, he needed to do everything possible to prove he was not racist--an impossible task, in my opinion, in the current climate, where an accusation itself is sufficient proof).
  • Ironically Trogan's email got the attention of Fordham. Apart from being rambling and highly defensive, there doesn't seem to be anything in the email that would warrant disciplinary action, let alone being summarily fired, but that's what Fordham did.
  • The link laughing dog posted has extra information, including the following (emphasis mine):
    • Trogan shared a letter with The Observer that he received on Nov. 1 from John Carroll, associate vice president of Public Safety, directing him to not come onto university property based on his terminated employee status and that he could have trespassing charges filed against him if this directive was ignored. The letter also stated that since Trogan no longer has an academic relationship with his former students and advisees, he should refrain from communicating with them in any form.
Trogan panicked when he got the letter from the students and didn't make the best decision. But ironically even though that panic triggered the events that brought his downfall, it seems he was entirely justified.

Can you imagine your former boss telling you you were not allowed to see people from your former workplace and trying to forbid you from doing so?

Thanks for the synopsis. Yeah, seems like the school made the same mistake he did and overreacted.

Can you imagine your former boss telling you you were not allowed to see people from your former workplace and trying to forbid you from doing so?
Happens more often than one would think. However, without a court order, there is nothing stopping Mr. Trogan from contacting any former student as long as he does not Fordham University property.

The New York Post is a relatively conservative newspaper. I have attached a link to the Fordham Student newspaper article on the incident - Professor Of English termination leaves unanswered questions. that may provide more information. The article mentions that the professor persistently misidentified one of the students. It also mentions that Trogan says it was his email, etc.... that caused the termination, not the misnaming.
Wow. So, not that you were going for this but this makes me realize one of my lifelong aspirations may be severely harmed by the fact I can't remember a name to save my ass.

I was misnaming my three employees for like, 4 weeks when I started at my current job. I still misname folks just because I am utter trash at names.
Interestingly enough, this popped into my email inbox: https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-...um=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=WIR_GadgetLab

I'm pretty good with names of people I actually know EXCEPT I am absolutely terrible at remembering the name of actors in films. I might be able to name 3 different films/roles (or at least a description of one or both) but not land on the actors name to save my life. My husband, on the other hand, knows all the names of even the most obscure character actors in old films. I think this is because he also used to have the names, batting averages and other pertinent stats about pretty much every major league baseball player from the 40's forward and some of the older ones as well. His brain is organized that way.

My brain is organized to tell long, meandering stories about pretty much anything. Quelle surprise.

The New York Post is a relatively conservative newspaper. I have attached a link to the Fordham Student newspaper article on the incident - Professor Of English termination leaves unanswered questions. that may provide more information. The article mentions that the professor persistently misidentified one of the students. It also mentions that Trogan says it was his email, etc.... that caused the termination, not the misnaming.
No no... they must insist that their warped worldview means the prof had to of been fired over calling a student the wrong name. Jesuit run schools are notorious for their wokeness. That is why they are the Rams... because they love ramming wokeness into their students... and crosstown rivals.

Jesuit run schools are notorious for their wokeness. That is why they are the Rams... because they love ramming wokeness into their students... and crosstown rivals.
I find it amusing that you think notional (or even actual) Catholicism is a bulwark against Wokeness. How charmingly naive.

I would like to take a moment to plug a Netflix seri s called The Chair, starring Sandra Oh. It’s quite pertinent.
Because she should be fired from it. Any show distracting Oh from her Killing Eve responsibilities is a crime against humanity.

Back
Top Bottom