• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

USB-C input slots on my docking station

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism
I keep my notebook in its docking station most of the time. And of course I have all of my accessories and other stuff plugged into the docking station. But I'm running out of USB-3 ports and already use a USB hub for more ports. and am still running out.

But I notice that the docker also has two USB-C ports. Can these be used the same as standard USB ports except to get a standard size USB female to USB-C male adapter cable?

Could someone explain to me?

I keep my notebook in its docking station most of the time. And of course I have all of my accessories and other stuff plugged into the docking station. But I'm running out of USB-3 ports and already use a USB hub for more ports. and am still running out.

But I notice that the docker also has two USB-C ports. Can these be used the same as standard USB ports except to get a standard size USB female to USB-C male adapter cable?

Yes. But you could probably buy another USB hub or a bigger one for the price of two adapters?

Why ask? just plug something into and see what happens.

Because I'd first need to buy the adaptors and I hoped someone would just know the answer.
OK, in that case reading instruction could help, or at least reading labels on the port. But chances are, it is a regular USB3.* with USB-C connector.

There are no useful instructions with the device. The instruction identify them as USB-C no but explanation otherwise. I spent about an hour doing research on-line and found nothing useful about it.

OK, in that case reading instruction could help, or at least reading labels on the port. But chances are, it is a regular USB3.* with USB-C connector.

There are no useful instructions with the device. The instruction identify them as USB-C no but explanation otherwise. I spent about an hour doing research on-line and found nothing useful about it.
I don't believe you. You provided literally no information, not even a picture and want us to help you.
In any case, if it looks like a USB port then it most likely quacks like one.

Docking station is a USB hub itself.
There can be only 2 reasons for USB device not working through hub:
1. Not enough power.
2. Not enough bandwidth (Isochronous regime)
printers are not Isochronous and have their own power.
GPS receiver may use USB power.

I don't believe you. You provided literally no information, not even a picture and want us to help you.
In any case, if it looks like a USB port then it most likely quacks like one.
Either help or shut up.

You really need a photo of two USB-C ports on the back of the docker?

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/access...anical-docks/Ultra-Dock-135-W-US/p/40AJ0135US

This is the product though the photos don't match the actual product. The actual product has 2 USB-C ports to the left of the Ethernet port. The specs say:

2 x DisplayPort 1.4
1 x HDMI 2.0
1 x VGA
2 x USB-C (10Gbps, 5V/3A power)
4 x USB 3.0 Gen 2 (10 Gbps, 1 always-on USB Charging)
1 x 3.5 mm Stereo/Mic Combo Port
1 x Gigabit Ethernet Port
1 x Kensington security lock slot

This is the actual product with correct photos from BH

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...0SOAeNGqFV5zjw75uAFEeIFcUrX5bfQRoCIeYQAvD_BwE

1530204338_IMG_1016857.jpg

I'm not looking for an argument. I had only thought that some people here may have USB-C input ports on a computer or a docker and know whether they behave like regular USB inputs on the backs and sides of computers/dockers given an adapter cable. I REALLY didn't think that a photo of a USB-C port was needed.

As I predicted, the instruction clearly states that it is exactly the same port as other two, just different more modern type-c form factor.

I want to add, one can plug USB hub into another hub, and another. As long as number of ports is less than 127.
https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Aluminum-Charging-Individual-Indicator,USB/dp/B0833TXXXP

Just beware that you don't actually get 127 devices as your hubs count against the limit and sometimes even count more than once. (In my experience 7-port hubs really are two 4-port hubs in the same package.)

AFIAK USB-C is always backwards compatible to plain USB. C to A cables work fine. A to C cables work but you don't get the new USB-C features (other than the cables that don't care about orientation.)

My phone is C, it charges fine off my A to C cable in the car and plugs into my computer fine with an A to C cable.

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M720q mini desktop. It has 6 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports including one USB-C on the front panel. My guess is USB-C means it can be used as a charging port for a wireless keyboard or phone, etc. and the power is always on. Even when the pc is powered down. So they use the type of connector that's used just for charging.

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M720q mini desktop. It has 6 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports including one USB-C on the front panel. My guess is USB-C means it can be used as a charging port for a wireless keyboard or phone, etc. and the power is always on. Even when the pc is powered down. So they use the type of connector that's used just for charging.
'C' has nothing to do with "C"harging. It's just a next letter in alphabet after 'A' and 'B'.
There were Type-A, Type-B usb connectors, they now added Type-C

'C' has nothing to do with "C"harging. It's just a next letter in alphabet after 'A' and 'B'.

Sorry, I was wrong. Thanks for that. But as it happens (after taking the trouble to look into it) the USB-C standard is designed to provide enough power to charge a laptop size device (3A min upward to 5A at 20V). So charging is potentially a feature, although not the reason for the "C" designation.

Sorry, I was wrong. Thanks for that. But as it happens (after taking the trouble to look into it) the USB-C standard is designed to provide enough power to charge a laptop size device (3A min upward to 5A at 20V). So charging is potentially a feature, although not the reason for the "C" designation.

Ya my Lenovo thinkpad T590 charges into a USB-C input.

USB-C ports allow power delivery to different degrees or none at all (besides minimum power)

USB-C is just a connector. Some could be as dumb as regular USB2.0 or not even that - just 2.5 watt and no data link.
USB3 has different revisions too, then there are additional features as alternate mode where type-c port behave like DisplayPort, HDMI.
That's why reading instruction/manual is important.

Back
Top Bottom