• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Vegetarian Entrees

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Some folks like to have a meal or two per week that is not meat, some folks are vegetarian, some folks are on a budget or are trying to serve around allergies. So what have you got for

Vegetarian Entrees

Lentil Loaf

I like this one, the chopped vegetables give it a nice texture and the flax seed helps it be loaf-ey

https://simple-veganista.com/2012/11/the-ultimate-vegetable-lentil-loaf.html

(copied verbatim)
THE ULTIMATE VEGETABLE LENTIL LOAF
THE ULTIMATE VEGETABLE LENTIL LOAF
★★★★★5 from 2 reviews
A wonderfully flavored lentil loaf for the whole family to enjoy. The leftovers make for great sandwiches too!

INGREDIENTS
Loaf

1 cup dry lentils (use green/brown)
2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
1/3 cup water (6 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons olive oil or steam saute using 1/4 cup water
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced or grated
1 celery stalk, finely diced
3/4 cup oats (I used GF oats)
1/2 cup oat flour or finely ground oats (any flour of choice will work here too)
1 heaping teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 heaping teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder & onion powder…for good measure!
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, optional
cracked pepper & sea salt to taste
Glaze

3 tablespoons organic ketchup or tomato paste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
INSTRUCTIONS
Rinse lentils. In large pot add 2 1/2 cups water/broth with lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. It’s ok if they get mushy, we are going to roughly puree 3/4 of the mixture when cooled. Once done, remove lid and set aside to cool (do not drain), they will thicken a bit upon standing, about 15 minutes is good.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In small bowl combine flaxseed meal and 1/3 cup water, set aside for at least 10 minutes, preferably in the refrigerator. This will act as a binder and will thicken nicely upon sitting.

Prepare vegetables. In saute pan heat oil or water over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrots and celery for about 5 minutes. Add spices mixing well to incorporate. Set aside to cool.

Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend 3/4 of the lentil mixture. For me this was an important part, I tried it other ways and this worked to help as a binder. If using an immersion blender, tilt your pot slightly to the side for easier blending. Alternately, you can mash the lentils with a potato masher or fork.

Combine sauteed vegetables with the lentils, oats, oat flour and flax egg, mix well. Taste, adding salt and pepper as needed, or any other herb or spice you might like. Place mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, leaving it overlapping for easy removal later. Press down firmly filling in along the edges too.

Prepare your glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl, mix until incorporated. I recommend making each tablespoon heaping so you have plenty of this great sauce on top (if using tomato paste and mixture is too thick, add a teaspoon of water, or a little extra vinegar & syrup). Spread over top of loaf.

Bake: Place in center of the oven, and bake in oven for about 45 – 50 minutes. Let cool a bit before slicing.

Serves 8

Serving suggestions: Serve with cooked asparagus, green beans, brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, roasted red potatoes, a simple salad, etc.

NOTES:

You may like to double up on the glaze, having some to put on the loaf after it’s removed from the oven.

If you don’t care for a little spicy heat, omit the chipotle powder.

I do not recommend reheating the entire loaf at once. It will most likely become too dry, as the heat will take to long to reach the center. I recommend cutting slices and reheating. If you need, you can make your lentil loaf the day before and store uncooked until ready to heat, bring to room temperature and heat according to instructions above.

Your work is done…except for the dishes…maybe you can delegate that to someone else. :)

Home made Pizza is my fave vegetarian main dish followed closely by a hearty soup. The variations are endless and simple.

A sourdough starter is not difficult to maintain and makes a great breakfast breadcake when refreshing the starter. A touch of almond butter and maple syrup is a great topping for the breadcake. Pizza crusts are 2/3 whole wheat, usually make three pizzas at a time. Zucchini, green beans, potato, the toppings are whatever you wish, with or without red sauce. I always use kalamata olives and capers, and a couple cheeses to round things out.

Soups are easy and last an entire week if you're into the batching thing, and go well with bread. Do a variation of corn and crab chowder that has no crab but instead is heavy on carrots, celery, peas, and whatever else you like. Instead of cream just use almond milk along with the cornstarch to thicken. Truly delicious and nutritious, and particularly great this time of year.

My normal go-to vegetarian dish is the angry butterflies dish I posted. Roughly: farfalle pasta, Chicago style giardiniera, plus veggies of your choice (I usually go with sun-dried tomatoes, Chinese snow peas, and mushrooms).

I've been making chili more often. I just used a random recipe I found and went from there.

I've been making chili more often. I just used a random recipe I found and went from there.

That is the best and simplest way to eat, recipes are basic, fast and nutritious. Tomorrow, for example, the three pizzas will have zucchini, artichoke from a can, olives, cheese. Three large pizzas will hang in there for the better part of a week, yummy everyday.

I have been buying bags of apples lately. I have one of those cutters that cores and slices the apple into eighths. Placed in a big mug, with 2 pats of butter, a little diabetic brown sugar mix and lots of cinnamon. Microwave for 3 minutes. Simple, quick and not very fancy, but enjoyable. I have a can of pineapple rings. Next time, I might toss in a pineapple ring or two with it. maybe a touch of ground nutmeg.

Campbell's chunky country vegetable soup. I cut up a few mushrooms, a couple of green onions and Roma tomato, add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and some olive oil. Microwave 3 minutes. Add soup and stir well, another 3 minutes. Cheap thrills. I later add a lot of freshly cracked black pepper. Quick and easy. Goes well with a chunk of well buttered French bread warmed up a bit in the microwave.

Vegetarian Chili, wiploc Style

In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add:

- Onion, 1 chopped;

- Bell pepper, 2 chopped, colors;

- Garlic, maybe 12 cloves, thick sliced

- Serrano peppers (I just stem and cut them in half), or jalapeños, 2 or 3.

After 3 minutes, or when the veggies are soft, add

- Chili powder, 1 tbs (Emeril uses twice that);

- Cumin, ground, 1/2 tbs, (Emeril uses twice that);

- Salt, 1 tsp of whatever's handy;

- Pepper, a few grinds;

- Cayenne, some (or not);

- Garlic powder, a palmful; and

- Oregano, Thyme, and/or paprika, if you incline, in quantities unspecified.

After 30 seconds, or when spices are fragrant (like I could tell), add

- Beer, water, or stock. (Beer is best, because some tomato flavors are alcohol soluble. That is, you won't get the full flavor without alcohol. On the other hand, the alcohol doesn't all cook out; so, no alcohol for those adversely affected.)

- Tomatoes (I used a 28oz can of crushed. Chopped would work. Emeril uses fresh tomatoes plus tomato sauce. Whatever.)

- Rotel or equivalent, if handy.

- Yams, 1 big or two small, chopped small so they cook fast and the flavor goes everywhere (Yams are the red ones, but if you're in a region where the red ones are called sweet potatoes, then use sweet potatoes‒though there are no yams of any kind in Emeril's recipe, for which he is more to be pitied than censored);

- Carrots, sliced into coins, and cut again if the coins are too large for the carrot to have friends in the spoon, about as much carrot as bell pepper;

- Corn from 3 or 4 ears (or frozen, what the heck, but fresh corn for preference, because it really does add flavor and texture);

- Mushrooms, 1 1/2 lbs (about 5 large) wiped clean (I just rinse) stemmed (ha) and cubed (big pieces, they shrink a lot);

- Beans, 2 or 3 cans of black (or kidney, whatever);

- Zucchini, none because it gets mushy, unless you want to puree it or maybe chop it really fine, in which case 1 or 2;

After six minutes. Lower the heat to medium low, and simmer. Emeril says it's done after 20 minutes, but what would he know? It has tomatoes in it; give it at least an hour.

When you take it off the heat, you can stir in

- a handful of chopped cilantro.

If feeling fancy, you can garnish with

- chopped green onions;

- shredded cheese;

- Sour cream or Greek yogurt;

- sliced avocado

You could serve this over

- Brown rice,

But we always eat it with

- Corn bread.

Yum.

Mmm. Gotta have squash and mushrooms in vegetarian chili. Those are absolute musts for me.

Nuked a very large sweet potato, diced it up and mixed it with a can of black beans, rinsed. Then added some olive oil and salt. Never combined these two things before but I needed a quick lunch to take to work. It's quite good. I'm sure it would be better dressed up with other additives. But the contrast in colors is also very inviting.

Back
Top Bottom