• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

VeraCrypt Security Issue

Coleman Smith

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I have a copy of all my passwords in an OpenOffice Word file which is encrypted folder on a thumb drive and I use Google back up and Sync.

To my shock and dismay i just opened the encrypted folder in back up and sync and was able to open the pass word file as a Google Document.

Any body had this experience or know any thing about it?

Just about recording passwords - I save mine in Google Chrome - and I can look them up when I want using the browser on my computer or my phone. It also lets me know if there was a data breach on a site I have a saved password for.

That seems like a strange backup system to me. Maybe it is just that I am old school but I still keep an index box of 3"X5" cards with phone numbers, addresses, user names, passwords, credit and debit card numbers, driver's license number, bank account numbers, passport number, etc. There is no hacker on the planet that can gain access to that information unless they are also home invaders and know that is my backup system. It turns out that this system has saved me twice after hard crashes of my hard drives.

Nope. Why encrypt you back up thumb drive?

I'm still using the old windows 3.x cardfile on my windows 10 machines. One file for names and addresses, another for passwords.

I have a copy of all my passwords in an OpenOffice Word file which is encrypted folder on a thumb drive and I use Google back up and Sync.

To my shock and dismay i just opened the encrypted folder in back up and sync and was able to open the pass word file as a Google Document.

Why are you surprised?
Encrypted folder is a defense against loss of a thumb drive. So nobody can read it from a drive without providing a password.
Once you provided a password your google backup and sync copies it to the server.

Why are you surprised?
Encrypted folder is a defense against loss of a thumb drive. So nobody can read it from a drive without providing a password.
Once you provided a password your google backup and sync copies it to the server.

This. The only way the backup would be secure is if you backed up the whole drive image.

What I believe happened is that I opened the encrypted volume with Google backup and sync running.

Back up detected un the decrypted files and new files and backed them up.

The problem resolved when I turn off back up before decrypting the volume.

What I believe happened is that I opened the encrypted volume with Google backup and sync running.

Back up does not know nor care, if it has access to something it would back it up. You need to specifically tell him what not to backup or backup.

Back up does not know nor care, if it has access to something it would back it up. You need to specifically tell him what not to backup or backup.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom