• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Virgin birth of Jesus

To be a Christian is to be a disciple of Christ and his teachings. That is all that is required for the title.

And that they call themselves a Christian.

That's like saying someone isn't a white supremacist isn't so just because they don't title themselves such.

If you follow the moral doctrine of Christ then you are a christian, irrespective of what you choose to call yourself.

The broader point however is that Christianity is not strictly dependent on or defined by a belief in the divine.

I don't know about the old world denominations, but Christianity conceptually does not rely upon or even require a divine element. Really the whole 'god in heaven' angle is superfluous fluff, as evidenced by enlightenment era Deism.

Deism is not christianity.

The Jesuits don't believe in any of the miracles.

I think you're wrong. Deists was clearly sprung from a Christian tradition

Deism is not christianity.

To be a Christian is to be a disciple of Christ and his teachings. That is all that is required for the title. They most certainly were Christian. Deists did not oppose Christ's moral primacy, only that he was of a divine nature.

To be a christian is to believe Jesus was Christ.

Being a follower of jesus teachings does not make you a christian.

How can you be ignorant of the difference between christ (a title) and jesus the person?

To be a Christian is to be a disciple of Christ and his teachings. That is all that is required for the title. They most certainly were Christian. Deists did not oppose Christ's moral primacy, only that he was of a divine nature.

How can you be ignorant of the difference between christ (a title) and jesus the person?

There is only one Christ, no? So what's your point exactly? We're talking about the same person in either case.

Hillarious. Not only do christian fight over what a real christian is but atheist/agnostics fight about it too. :D

There is only one Christ, no? So what's your point exactly? We're talking about the same person in either case.

I think he is saying that more than one person is titled a "christ" in the/a bible. He seems to imagine everyone should be aware of this not well known thing. I guess he gets half a cyber point...:D

The Jesuits don't believe in any of the miracles.

I think you're wrong. Deists was clearly sprung from a Christian tradition

But are not christians.

Well.... I think being Christian is about a way of thinking. I think that's more important than what labels people carry. Even though, by definition, deists aren't Christians you won't find any Deists in countries that aren't predominantly Christian.

But it's splitting hairs. Deism is a historical curiosity. I'd argue that modern Deists don't understand the type of belief.

Deism is basically the idea that God can be proven without need for revelation. And thus is old, an idea going back to Plato. Natural religion.

Christ is a metaphysical title. If you say you believe in christ then you say you believe what this title stands for.

If you say that you follow jesus you doesnt necessarily have to buy into the christ stuff.

I think he is saying that more than one person is titled a "christ" in the/a bible. He seems to imagine everyone should be aware of this not well known thing. I guess he gets half a cyber point...:D

No, that is not at all what I say.

Christ is a metaphysical title. If you say you believe in christ then you say you believe what this title stands for.

If you say that you follow jesus you doesnt necessarily have to buy into the christ stuff.

I mean what if I argue that Jesus as a person never actually existed but the idea of jesus as the ideal man serves as a guide and example for how people should live their lives? OR if I believe that jesus was not of a divine nature but was instead a moral teacher who's teachings should serve as a similar guide?

If not a christian (in terms of common parlance) what do either of those make you then?

I mean what if I argue that Jesus as a person never actually existed but the idea of jesus as the ideal man serves as a guide and example for how people should live their lives? OR if I believe that jesus was not of a divine nature but was instead a moral teacher who's teachings should serve as a similar guide?

If not a christian (in terms of common parlance) what do either of those make you then?

Why do you need a lable? What do call a person that think Russel is a good teacher? A Russelian?

Why do you need a lable? What do call a person that think Russel is a good teacher? A Russelian?

I dunno, why do books need titles?

A good title tells you what something is about. .

But a good title is generally consistd of more than a single word.m

So call this "a follower of the teachings of jesus".

Happy?

Too wordy, can't be used gracefully in everyday conversation. This is why we rely on jargon and colloquialisms like "Christian". :)

But a good title is generally consistd of more than a single word.m

So call this "a follower of the teachings of jesus".

Happy?

Too wordy, can't be used gracefully in everyday conversation. This is why we rely on jargon and colloquialisms like "Christian". :)

But christian is a believer in christ. So thats wrong.

Back
Top Bottom