• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Voting rights for prisoners

You said:
Eating in a restaurant is not a constitutional right so your entire line argument is based on terrible analogy.
Say what? That doesn’t remotely make it a bad analogy.....
Yes, it does, and no amount of word salad and even more inane analogies changes that fact. Equating voting (a constitution right) with dining out is stupid. Equating someone's personal preferences and behavior (what you prefer) to the responsibilities of the state to protect constitutional right is stupid. Implicitly arguing that prisoners (who are prevented by the state) to go to vote is equivalent to someone who wants steps but will not build them is inane.

You said:
Eating in a restaurant is not a constitutional right so your entire line argument is based on terrible analogy.
Say what? That doesn’t remotely make it a bad analogy.....
Yes, it does, and no amount of word salad and even more inane analogies changes that fact. Equating voting (a constitution right) with dining out is stupid. Equating someone's personal preferences and behavior (what you prefer) to the responsibilities of the state to protect constitutional right is stupid. Implicitly arguing that prisoners (who are prevented by the state) to go to vote is equivalent to someone who wants steps but will not build them is inane.

You might wanna read up on the essential elements of an analogy. Moving on...

to the analogy free zone:

I am not against prisoners having the right to vote. In fact, let’s suppose they already had the right and we learned a petition was going around aimed at changing it so they no longer had the right to vote. I would not sign it. I have no qualms with prisoners having the right to vote.

If they don’t have the right to vote and that somehow manages to change, wonderful. If they have the right to vote and manage to maintain their right to vote, great.

Why fuck with them and make life harder? They’re people too!

Look, if they have a dime, I’m not out to take it from them, but you do realize taking and not giving are not one and the same right? You damned well better not depend on my dime to see that they get what they want or keep what they got. I’m not out to take from others, but I’m damn well against being taken from.

What did you say earlier? About, of this, then that? You know, what started this mess?

You might wanna read up on the essential elements of an analogy.
LOL.
I am not against prisoners having the right to vote. In fact, let’s suppose they already had the right and we learned a petition was going around aimed at changing it so they no longer had the right to vote. I would not sign it. I have no qualms with prisoners having the right to vote.

If they don’t have the right to vote and that somehow manages to change, wonderful. If they have the right to vote and manage to maintain their right to vote, great.

Look, if they have a dime, I’m not out to take it from them, but you do realize taking and not giving are not one and the same right? You damned well better not depend on my dime to see that they get what they want or keep what they got. I’m not out to take from others, but I’m damn well against being taken from.
Ok, but what prompted that irrelevant outburst?
What did you say earlier? About, of this, then that? You know, what started this mess?
You made the idiotic claim that allowing prisoners to vote was catering to them.

I think a case can be made that this is about the primal need for revenge being used to strip rights.

The born female transitioning to male shooter, Maya now Alec McKinney, in Colorado has been the topic of heated discussion on Twitter regarding preferred pronouns and deadnaming. This is an actual shooter, not exactly sympathetic. I have my own take of preferred pronouns and deadnaming that is unrelated to how to address killers, but it is playing in to how this is treated by a lot of people.

This twitter thread is instructive:

https://twitter.com/autistichoya/status/1126346826288857088

2019-05-10 09_37_23-Lydia X. Z. Brown on Twitter_ _Dear every reporter writing about the #STEMSh.png

This reaction of "Her name is ..." and lots of calls to send "Him" to a men's prison in the replies.

So, the whole point is that you have to defend to the unsympathetic (unless safety etc...) to stop the erosion of everyone's rights.

You're in favor of something as long as it isn't a change from the status quo, which you apparently think materialized fully formed in society like a gentle fog from nature.

Let’s try this a different way.

Slow: should incarcerated adults have the right to vote?
Fast: no comment

Slow: if all adults are granted the right to vote, should those incarcerated be free to exercise their rights?
Fast: no comment

If you are free to vote and have the ability to exercise your right, then I have nothing whatsoever to comment on.

It’s when one has the right to vote but for whatever reason lacks the ability to exercise their rights that gain my attention. Still, even at this juncture, no comment. An eye open, but nothing quite yet to say.

Let’s say convicts who are in solitary confinement lose their mail privileges. Or, if you don’t like that example, suppose violent convicts may not have pencils. I suppose there can be a multitude of examples that might ultimately explain what I’m driving at. Whatever example helps, the issue I have isn’t even an issue until people start making certain accusations.

If you dig a hole and inadvertently fall into it and can’t get out and reach your gun, you still have the right to bare arms, but if you can’t claw your way out the hole without assistence, it’s not that you are being stripped of rights but instead find yourself in the predicament of not being able to exercise your right.

I told KeepTalking that what he said makes sense. But, what if a prisoner loses his only pencil to cast a ballot and finds himself in the unfortunate position of A) having a right to vote but also B) no ability to exercise his right? Will the refusal to issue another pencil be regarded as stripping him of his right to vote or will it be regarded as him still having the right to vote yet the prison be regarded as failing to ensure prisoners can exercise their rights? Either one, my mouth opens and I have a lot to say.

Some good points made here regarding losing mail privileges, or having pointy items like pencils taken away in cases of extremely violent prisoners. I would not think that either would be the norm, and with regard to mail privileges I think exceptions would likely be made for communication with lawyers, or the like, and could certainly be made for absentee ballots as well. It is the latter situation where pointy items like pencils are not allowed to a particularly violent prisoner where I think we might not be able to accommodate the right to vote for that prisoner. On the other hand, a prison denying the use of pencils entirely to all prisoners who are convicted of violent offenses should rightly be seen as an attempt to disenfranchise those prisoners. Of course, this all hinges on whether or not a No. 2 pencil is required to fill out an absentee ballot. If that is not the case, and a crayon or felt tip marker would do just as well when filling out an absentee ballot, then there really is no issue here. I have no idea if that is the case as I have never voted absentee, but I will note that at my polling place felt tip markers are provided to use for marking ballots, which then go into an optical scanner.

You seem to be dead on my heals and taking in what I’m throwing down, so let me throw a curve ball and see what plays out. Let’s consider two prisons. The first prison is state run and headed up by government personnel. The second prison is a privately run prison and headed up by people in the private sector.

Two rules: neither may be broken for either prison:
1) prisoners have the right to vote. Period. No exceptions. That means, violent or not, every prisoner has the governmentally granted right to vote. Just like that, they have the right and that right may not be taken away.

2) No one has a duty to facilitate any prisoner in the exercise of their right to vote. No duty to lift a finger is imposed on anyone to help anyone. So, if a prisoner finds himself in a position whereby he can cast a vote, then he may do so. If he may do so (hence, there is permissibility) but cannot secure a ballot (hence, no ability to do what is permissible), then per rule 1, he maintains his right to vote and rule 2) no person has been derelict in his duty.

Now for the fun part: rule 3. However, it pertains only to one of the two prisons, the state run prison.
3) no one may purposefully act in any manner whereby a prisoner’s right to vote will be disenfranchised.

That means, if the state run prison chooses to deny ballots’ entry into the prison, that will disenfranchise prisoners from being able to exercise their right to vote.

The rule (rule 3), however, pertains only to state run prisons, not privately run prisons. Let’s say (for the sake of argument) that someone in a privately run prison purposefully forbids ballot entry into its prison. What’s true, and what isn’t true? This is where the good stuff is at.

Has that person taken away the prisoners right to vote? People may say yes because the net effect is the same: no prisoner can vote. Of course, I scream they’re crazy as hell. They may vote. No, they cannot, but they may. Permissibility hasn’t changed. The warden can walk in and explain that all prisons may do so —if they can.

May the prisoner exercise their right? Yes, yes, yes! Again, neither rule 1 nor rule 2 has been broken. The state run prison hasn’t disenfranchised anyone whereas the the privately run prison has, but notice something else, for neither prison, rule 1 and rule 2 haven’t been broken.

So, what’s this thread really about? Whether they should have the right to vote? What does that entail? Where I have this by the balls is in the wording of rule 2: no duty.

People who want prisoners to have a right to vote also want something else. They want prisoners to be able to exercise their rights, but prisoners cannot even do that without mandating that officials take on the obligation necessary to facilitate it.

What’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with that is they’re wanting the public to support helping them do what they cannot do on their own. What’s wrong with that? Generally, nothing. Generally, there’s nothing wrong with giving a little assistance where it’s needed, but remember, they broke rules. They hurt our society, and they hurt it so badly that it has led to their incarceration and freedoms being taken away. And now, they want something; they want something from me.

It seems pretty simple to me. If someone purposefully acts to disenfranchise a voter, then they have in fact taken away that person's right to vote.

You seem to be dead on my heals and taking in what I’m throwing down, so let me throw a curve ball and see what plays out. Let’s consider two prisons. The first prison is state run and headed up by government personnel. The second prison is a privately run prison and headed up by people in the private sector.

Two rules: neither may be broken for either prison:
1) prisoners have the right to vote. Period. No exceptions. That means, violent or not, every prisoner has the governmentally granted right to vote. Just like that, they have the right and that right may not be taken away.

2) No one has a duty to facilitate any prisoner in the exercise of their right to vote. No duty to lift a finger is imposed on anyone to help anyone. So, if a prisoner finds himself in a position whereby he can cast a vote, then he may do so. If he may do so (hence, there is permissibility) but cannot secure a ballot (hence, no ability to do what is permissible), then per rule 1, he maintains his right to vote and rule 2) no person has been derelict in his duty.

Now for the fun part: rule 3. However, it pertains only to one of the two prisons, the state run prison.
3) no one may purposefully act in any manner whereby a prisoner’s right to vote will be disenfranchised.

That means, if the state run prison chooses to deny ballots’ entry into the prison, that will disenfranchise prisoners from being able to exercise their right to vote.

The rule (rule 3), however, pertains only to state run prisons, not privately run prisons. Let’s say (for the sake of argument) that someone in a privately run prison purposefully forbids ballot entry into its prison. What’s true, and what isn’t true? This is where the good stuff is at.

Has that person taken away the prisoners right to vote? People may say yes because the net effect is the same: no prisoner can vote. Of course, I scream they’re crazy as hell. They may vote. No, they cannot, but they may. Permissibility hasn’t changed. The warden can walk in and explain that all prisons may do so —if they can.

May the prisoner exercise their right? Yes, yes, yes! Again, neither rule 1 nor rule 2 has been broken. The state run prison hasn’t disenfranchised anyone whereas the the privately run prison has, but notice something else, for neither prison, rule 1 and rule 2 haven’t been broken.

So, what’s this thread really about? Whether they should have the right to vote? What does that entail? Where I have this by the balls is in the wording of rule 2: no duty.

People who want prisoners to have a right to vote also want something else. They want prisoners to be able to exercise their rights, but prisoners cannot even do that without mandating that officials take on the obligation necessary to facilitate it.

What’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with that is they’re wanting the public to support helping them do what they cannot do on their own. What’s wrong with that? Generally, nothing. Generally, there’s nothing wrong with giving a little assistance where it’s needed, but remember, they broke rules. They hurt our society, and they hurt it so badly that it has led to their incarceration and freedoms being taken away. And now, they want something; they want something from me.

It seems pretty simple to me. If someone purposefully acts to disenfranchise a voter, then they have in fact taken away that person's right to vote.
That is spin, not an accurate depiction.

People twist things so often that it’s become apart of lanuage. In the end, however, not making a deposit is not the same as making a withdrawal. When one gives, gives, and gives and then stops giving, there’s gonna be those that will slap on the spin and say one has taken.

If you tell your teenage daughter that she may not drive your car, there’s some things she might say, and the issue is whether what she says accurately reflects reality. “Daddy took my drivers license.” No, sweetheart, you cannot hold up your license and say that I have them. You’re holding them!

When you come in and say that I may as well have taken away her license since I’ve taken away her driving privileges, I remind you both what the Department of motor vehicles has to say about whether she may drive; moreover, I don’t take away allowances (allowances you’ve already gotten); I just might discontinue issuing them. (All hypothetical btw) I’m just exploring the language behind the discussion. For instance, if you get Social Security and they so-called take away your income, I’d prefer a language that doesn’t suggest they’re making withdrawals. What they are doing is nothing. They simply have stopped doing what they once did. I think it’s second nature for people to vilify the givers that stop and characterize them as takers. Philanthropists that reduce or worst pause their givings have been called the most wretched of names.

- - - Updated - - -

You're in favor of something as long as it isn't a change from the status quo, which you apparently think materialized fully formed in society like a gentle fog from nature.

Get out of my head, damn it. There’s only room for one in here.

All I would add to that, is that I myself can at least see what are imo adequate reasons for the situation in which prisoners, or at least some, are not allowed to vote, and also the situation in which they are. That is to say, from up here on the fence-top, I can see both sides, and appreciate how those on either can find reasons for being on their preferred side. That is why I am not all all surprised that there is apparently a variety of arrangements in various developed countries around the globe and why the issue is subject to much ongoing debate in several of them. Imo this is not a topic that is amenable to resolution as to its objective rightness or wrongness. It has more to do with personal opinion and chosen philosophy/ideology (in the non-pejorative sense).

Which is one reason I have suggested that my own preferred arrangement is what I would call a reasonable compromise, with the important caveat that if something such as for example voter suppression is a significant factor in a particular jurisdiction, that would need to be considered (on the 'let them vote' side of the case).

Your dime isn't required. That is your fundamental misunderstanding.

That is spin, not an accurate depiction.

People twist things so often that it’s become apart of lanuage. In the end, however, not making a deposit is not the same as making a withdrawal. When one gives, gives, and gives and then stops giving, there’s gonna be those that will slap on the spin and say one has taken.

How is it spin? You said that the person at the private prison "purposefully forbids ballot entry into its prison".

That is purposefully acting to disenfranchise voters. If "acting to disenfranchise a voter" is analogous to "making a deposit" in your bank analogy, then it seems that "inaction that results in disenfranchising a voter" would be analogous to "making a withdrawal". That is not the case with your example, however, as there was purposeful action taken to keep ballots out of the hands of the prisoners, and it is not a case of failure to take action resulting in the disenfranchisement of the voter. I don't see how I twisted the language you used at all.

I will lay out the way I see things as simply as I can for you:
-Action taken for the purpose of disenfranchising a voter should not be allowed.
-Action taken for another purpose, which ends up disenfranchising a voter indirectly, should be allowed.
-Inaction that results in a voter being disenfranchised indirectly should be allowed as things stand now. In the case of inaction, however, there is precedent for Congress making changes that would disallow inaction as well. One example would be the Americans with Disabilities Act, which forces people to take action to accommodate the rights of the disabled.

Just updating this thread to remind everyone that there is currently a law on the books in a US state that treats women who get abortions, women who have miscarriages, and the doctors who care for them as FELONS.

Should they not be able to vote? And if that law deprives voting rights from people unjustly, why wouldn't you think there are other laws that do the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom