• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Was the Biblical God a Volcano?

Was God a Volcano? - YouTube -- Thunderf00t argues that theory there.

OH MY VOLCANO!!!: List of Biblical verses that suggest God was a volcano, OH MY VOLCANO!!!: Mount Sinai was a volcano

However, those descriptions might also fit thunderstorms, and I couldn't find any recently-active volcanoes near the southeastern to eastern Mediterranean shoreline. There are some volcanoes in the Aegean Sea and in Italy, but they may be too distant. Nevertheless, I like the theory that Exodus includes some mangled memories of the big eruption of Thera / Santorini around 1600 BCE. A little before then, the Hyksos had come out of Canaan and had taken over northern Egypt. Some Cretan refugees could have settled among them and told the story of the horrible eruption that had taken place. When the Hyksos were expelled, they took those accounts with them, and later storytellers turned these events into some of the Ten Plagues of Egypt.

They may have had to go through some big marsh along the way, some marsh that seemed like a sea of reeds. The leader of the Egyptian military force that drove them out was pharaoh Ahmose, and in Hebrew, his name sounds like "Brother of Moses". Later storytellers may then have elaborated on who "Moses" must have been. The Egyptians likely quit and returned home after driving the Hyksos that far, and being drowned in the Red Sea / Reed Sea was likely something that someone later invented because it is more dramatic.

Which Jewish god?

Weren't the Jews originally polytheists?

Are you suggesting that the war god Yhwh was a volcano or are you saying the father god El Elyon was a volcano?

Back
Top Bottom