• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

We live in a universe designed, built, and run by the mafia.

I’m aware of his Mars colonization plans. They are to laugh.

Elon Musk has no special knowledge about any of these topics. What he has is a lot of money. He finances projects worked on by people who do understand a lot of this stuff.

There will never be millions of people colonizing Mars. Mars is fantastically inhospitable to human life. It is far worse than Antarctica or the bottom of the ocean. While we do have a handful of doughty researchers spending some time in Antarctica, we have no cities there and no cities or presence at all on the bottom of the ocean. And those places are paradise next to Mars.

Humans are not going to colonize other planets or travel to the stars. A hundred years from now our population is likely to be radically reduced and the survivors will be struggling to feed themselves. That’s the real way things are going, not jejune fantasies about ancestor simulations or colonizing Mars.

Humans are not going to colonize other planets or travel to the stars. A hundred years from now our population is likely to be radically reduced and the survivors will be struggling to feed themselves. That’s the real way things are going, not jejune fantasies about ancestor simulations or colonizing Mars.
It might be the case that technological advancement tends to destroy civilizations. The wishfulness that a simulation is true relies on assuming that technophilic optimism is true. Techno-optimism is the notion that "advancing" is something that's very likely. And nobody knows that's true.

So anyone saying "it's likely" we're in a simulation just because they take it on faith that old civilizations eventually create lots of simulations, has no justification for considering that "it's likely".

The evidence here on earth is that technologically advancing animals destroy their environment. Maybe the reason we haven't detected civilization on other planets is that, if they make the mistake of going nuts over technology, the civilization collapses.

Elon Musk's argument is nothing but this irrational optimism. He has no grounds to assign likelihood to high-tech in the far future.

Elon Musk has no special knowledge about any of these topics. What he has is a lot of money. He finances projects worked on by people who do understand a lot of this stuff.
So are you saying he doesn't have a better understanding of reusable rockets and brain-computer interfaces than you do?
There will never be millions of people colonizing Mars.
A million people on Mars is Elon's dream - I don't think he is saying it will definitely happen. BTW there are plans for reusable SpaceX rockets that can carry 100 people at a time....
Mars is fantastically inhospitable to human life. It is far worse than Antarctica or the bottom of the ocean. While we do have a handful of doughty researchers spending some time in Antarctica, we have no cities there and no cities or presence at all on the bottom of the ocean. And those places are paradise next to Mars.
I think people would be even less comfortable on the international space station yet a few people live there.
Do you think people will ever live on the Moon?

The mafia are genetically engineered psychopaths. they exist here on earth and I assume they exist in other universes too

So are you saying he doesn't have a better understanding of reusable rockets and brain-computer interfaces than you do?
There will never be millions of people colonizing Mars.
A million people on Mars is Elon's dream - I don't think he is saying it will definitely happen. BTW there are plans for reusable SpaceX rockets that can carry 100 people at a time....
Mars is fantastically inhospitable to human life. It is far worse than Antarctica or the bottom of the ocean. While we do have a handful of doughty researchers spending some time in Antarctica, we have no cities there and no cities or presence at all on the bottom of the ocean. And those places are paradise next to Mars.
I think people would be even less comfortable on the international space station yet a few people live there.
Do you think people will ever live on the Moon?

People live on the space station for relatively short periods, all their needs being supplied by shuttles from earth. They don't need to be self sufficient, they don't need to contend with toxic soil, etc.

In May 2021 on Saturday Night Live, the host Elon Musk was joking about being in a video game..... (kind of related to his 2016 speech)

His delivery of the joke made me cringe though.....

Back
Top Bottom