• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Weather and god

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
So, we know a lot about how weather works. There's always more research going on, but we think we've got a pretty good handle on at least explaining what happened to cause that thunderboomer, or to predict where the snow is going to fall.

Any errors are easily accepted as limitations of our knowledge, imperfections in our models, rather than some sort of mysterious 'hand of god' explanation.

So, a coworker across the way completely agrees that modern science has kind of a grip on, say, how hurricanes form, in textbook explanations that do not refer to gods in any way. He still insists that God has sent some hurricanes to express his ire over, say, not stoning homosexuals or not nuking muslim countries, or calling Trump names.
Being God, of course, He did not make his actions TOO obvious. No hurricanes outside of Hurricane season, for example. So he's okay with an event being completely understood and explained by manmade science and STILL being an event God initiated to achieve a particular goal. ....As long as my colleague approves of the goal.

"So would that work for evolution?" I had to ask.

"What?"

"Are you okay with evolution being something God used to achieve a goal, whatever that was, even though there is a completely secular understanding of what happened, that's at least as accurate as Winter Storm Warnings on Channel Six, both of which can be examined and taught without reference to any gods?"

Turns out the two are completely different, science and fantasy, because no one ever claimed that a tornado evolved into a hurricane after hundreds of weather seasons.

Also, we're not apes, period, end of story.

Turns out the two are completely different, science and fantasy, because no one ever claimed that a tornado evolved into a hurricane after hundreds of weather seasons.

If it's possible to inherit the wind (Proverbs 11:29) then the wind can evolve.

BAM. Take that, athetits! :feeling_lucky:

I wonder if he'd realize I was mocking him if I conceded that to him...?

Well, it's not... that was the point of the proverb. "Inherit the wind" means "not inheriting your family's wealth" (because of bringing ruin upon them). The lesson is to not fuck with your own family or else they will disown you.

Well, it's not... that was the point of the proverb. "Inherit the wind" means "not inheriting your family's wealth" (because of bringing ruin upon them). The lesson is to not fuck with your own family or else they will disown you.

They can disown me but they can't disown their ancestry. Try to do so and they inherit the wind. A metaphor for being tossed about by inconvenient truths.

I thougyt the point of Inherit The Wind was the persecution of science by bible flapping idiots is a bad thing?

I thougyt the point of Inherit The Wind was the persecution of science by bible flapping idiots is a bad thing?

Well yeah. But using the bible verse for the title of the play/movie implies that undermining the mythology layed out in Genesis (aka "fuck[ing] with your own family") is the message, when obviously the opposite point is being made. The revelation of our true heritage having been revealed by science. So it flips the phrase against those who would normally use it. At least that's my interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom