• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What do you think about Steven Novella's definition of skepticism?

Tammuz

Basic Beliefs
Skepticism
Steven Novella of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast back in 2008 attempted to make a consice definition of scientific skepticism. When googling around, it appears to have become informally rather widespread. What do you think about it?

Steven Novella said:
A skeptic is one who prefers beliefs and conclusions that are reliable and valid to ones that are comforting or convenient, and therefore rigorously and openly applies the methods of science and reason to all empirical claims, especially their own. A skeptic provisionally proportions acceptance of any claim to valid logic and a fair and thorough assessment of available evidence, and studies the pitfalls of human reason and the mechanisms of deception so as to avoid being deceived by others or themselves. Skepticism values method over any particular conclusion.

I like it!:)

Great definition, it can applied to topics like AGW (anthropogenic global warming) were wishful thinking comes heavily into play. But what is needed is the ability to see truths even if harsh. Too bad in my personal life I am nowhere near skeptical enough.

clockwork-orange-eyes.jpg

In the same way that the kids in Ender's Game did a professional job of fighting when they thought it was just a game because there were no stakes, examining AGW with no personal stakes is what is needed. More easily said than done.

Last edited:
It certainly is a useful rubric for evaluating arguments.

Those that suggest you should adopt their religion because that would mean you'll see your loved ones again in Heaven, for example. That's comforting, and a nice conclusion, but it's not evidence that it's true. Sorry, Imma have to remain skeptical, here.

A skeptic may also have comforting rituals and habits that he or she realizes are just that and nothing more.

You got me thinking about Einstein's "God does not play dice." I'll have to think about that and decide Einstein's level of skepticism.

I'm a skeptic but when I leave my workstation I always have to cover my tools with the company logo right side up. I know people who will get out of bed to close a closet door because knowing it's open mean's they can't sleep. I don't think such habits impinge on my skepticism, but maybe they do.

I like the definition in the OP.

Nah.

Two definitions, depending on whether you put a capital 'S' or not.

But you're screwed either way.

My Collins Dictionary said:
sceptic (or archaic and U.S. skeptic): 1. A person who habitually doubts the authenticity of accepted beliefs 2. A person who mistrusts people, ideas etc. in general.

Sceptic (or archaic and U.S. Skeptic): A member of one of the ancient Greek schools of philosophy, esp. that of Pyrrho, who believed real knowledge of things is impossible

I'm a Sceptic, except for things subjective, that we obviously know as they are, without even the need for science.
EB

Nah.

Two definitions, depending on whether you put a capital 'S' or not.

But you're screwed either way.

Sceptic (or archaic and U.S. Skeptic): A member of one of the ancient Greek schools of philosophy, esp. that of Pyrrho, who believed real knowledge of things is impossible

I'm a Sceptic, except for things subjective, that we obviously know as they are, without even the need for science.
EB

Your Collins Dictionary needs replacement if it only has two definitions.

Collins dictionary - 12th Edition said:
Skeptic
3. a person who believes in or practices philosophical skepticism

4. a person who habitually doubts, questions, or suspends judgment upon matters generally accepted

5. a person who doubts religious doctrines

This is the same dictionary that defines "Christian" as:

a decent, respectable person
humane, decent, etc.

So... I'm not thinking this is a very good source.

Your Collins Dictionary needs replacement if it only has two definitions.

Skeptic
3. a person who believes in or practices philosophical skepticism

4. a person who habitually doubts, questions, or suspends judgment upon matters generally accepted

5. a person who doubts religious doctrines
No. My dictionary is fine but I dropped the last one as not particularly relevant.

This is the same dictionary that defines "Christian" as:

a decent, respectable person
humane, decent, etc.

So... I'm not thinking this is a very good source.

My own version of the Collins says, "sometimes exhibiting kindness or goodness".

This suggests to me that you didn't understand the two definitions you provided.

These two definitions only reflect, properly in my view, the use of the word 'christian' (rather than 'Christian') by Christian people, or by people culturally influenced by Christians, to describe what they would themselves see as a typical virtue of Christian people, i.e. kindness, goodness, decency, respectability, humanity, etc.

Good Dictionaries should present usage as it is, not select only those senses that happen to be in agreement with the politics of the editors.

I trust that at some point in the future, the sense of 'sceptic' as most often used on this forum will be reported by the Collins, and the Oxford too.

You could also exhibit a better dictionary and its definition of 'sceptic' in the sense the sciency people around here like most. That would be the constructive thing to do.

I'll try to wait.
EB

Back
Top Bottom