• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What economic theory . . .

ksen

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinist
. . . posits that people will want to work for less than it takes to keep them alive and healthy?

I ask because at the old forum some of the more conservative posters have been saying that if you get rid of welfare people would be willing to work for even less since work would be their only means to access the cash to survive and that sounds pretty stupid to me.

. . . posits that people will want to work for less than it takes to keep them alive and healthy?

I ask because at the old forum some of the more conservative posters have been saying that if you get rid of welfare people would be willing to work for even less since work would be their only means to access the cash to survive and that sounds pretty stupid to me.
Basic supply and demand. The idea is that if wages are lower, then employers will use more labor (some combination of more hours and more people). That only is actualized if the lower wages are market equilibrium wages (i.e. that there people willing and able to work for those wages). It may be the case that some tertiary workers might work for less than it takes to keep them alive and healthy because they do not depend on those wages to keep themselves alive and healthy. And, if the choice is between alive and unhealthy or dead, my guess is that most primary earners would choose alive and unhealthy.

Me too. Under this economic theory, jobless homeless people shouldn't exist since they should me motivated properly.

Me too. Under this economic theory, jobless homeless people shouldn't exist since they should me motivated properly.

Actually, that's not evidence.

1) Nothing says that all workers are worth hiring.

2) Most of the homeless have mental illnesses.

Hmm...what happens if we raise the minimum wage above welfare (instead of eliminating them both)?

aa

Let me try to explain this the way that I understand it, from the post-Keynesian economic perspective.

When we are looking at the economy as a whole, what economists call the macroeconomy, there are winners and losers from any change. Money that goes to one sector has to come from another sector. It is simple cash flow accounting.

If you force wages up the money has to come from somewhere else in the economy. That somewhere else is profits. There is no other possibility.

Yes, all of the things that conservatives say will happen if the minimum wage is raised probably will happen somewhere in the economy. But all of these effects, higher prices, loss of employment, will be balanced out against positive results from the increase. It is this balance that we are concerned with looking at the whole economy.

It doesn't help us to consider the extremes. Yes, it is bad if we raise wages so high that there are no profits. Yes, it is bad if we lower wages to zero and have money flowing only to profits and capital, what we call slavery. These extremes don't tell us anything. They are not at all instructive beyond the obvious, don't go to extremes.

In the macroeconomy supply and demand don't balance each other. Any automatic mechanism to balance the two that naturally exists in the economy is so weak and acts so slowly that it is reasonable to say that for all practical purposes it doesn't exist. The economy behaves exactly like we observe it to behave, it can remain imbalanced for decades. This is the most important point that Keynes taught us. To see the truth of it we have to look no further than our economy since the financial crisis of 2008 or the Japanese economy over the last two decades.

It is the fiscal policies of the government that determines the balance between supply and demand, between the capital share and the labor share and between profits and wages. In the broadest sense there are all different ways of saying the same thing.

It takes a huge logical disconnect for conservatives to argue that there is a natural mechanism in the economy that will balance supply and demand, that is that the free market exists, and then to argue that we should continue to have fiscal policies that increase supply, profits, at the cost of demand, wages. That we should double down and increase the efforts to increase supply by further lowering the taxes on the rich and increasing taxes on the poor and the middle class. And then to argue that increasing the minimum wage violates the so-called free market, that we can't increase demand or that we shouldn't increase demand. It is saying that the market only works in one direction, that only one form of interference in the operation of the market is justified.

The only reason to continue policies that increase supply is that there is too much demand in the economy and not enough supply. After thirty years of intentionally boosting supply, with record profits and the huge glut of capital that has built a constant stream of asset bubbles and with effectively negative real interest rates I don't think that any objective observer can say that we are lacking supply, capital, in the economy and that we have too much demand.

Conservatives are arguing now that the supply side economic policies aren't the reason for the glut of capital, the income inequality and the lack of demand in the economy so that we must not only continue, what are according to them, these ineffective policies we should increase them. Logical disconnect.

(I am not lumping Loren into this argument. He has always treated my arguments with respect even when he disagrees with them. Even when the arguments that I presented didn't deserve any respect.)

In my estimation. the capitalists have a theory and it goes something like this: No matter what happens, things will work out okay as long as the government doesn't get involved. This is a rich man's wealth preserving philosophy but it is not an actual working theory to guide the actions of all the people. It appears to be true for the capitalists themselves but not the masses. To them, a living wage is just the government trying to suppress the natural downward progression of wages and the natural increase in the profits of the capitalists. They seem to feel that "natural market forces" must not be tampered in such a manner they have to change their ways. In a way, what they are saying is correct, but the gross inequality we are seeing in America is having extreme side effects. What they are saying may be correct but the feelings they express are utterly narcissistic and blind to the masses.

Been reading about different monetary and economic systems, based on co-operation, sharing, reciprocity and celebration.

http://sacred-economics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/sacred-economics-book-text.pdf

It is hugely ironic and hugely significant that the one thing on the planet most closely resembling the forgoing conception of the divine is money. It is an invisible, immortal force that surrounds and steers all things, omnipotent and limitless, an “invisible hand” that, it is said, makes the world go ’round. Yet, money today is an abstraction, at most symbols on a piece of paper but usually mere bits in a computer. It exists in a realm far removed from materiality. In that realm, it is exempt from nature’s most important laws, for it does not decay and return to the soil as all other things do, but is rather preserved, changeless, in its vaults and computer files, even growing with time thanks to interest. It bears the properties of eternal preservation and everlasting increase, both of which are profoundly unnatural. The natural substance that comes closest to these properties is gold, which does not rust, tarnish, or decay. Early on, gold was therefore used both as money and as a metaphor for the divine soul, that which is incorruptible and changeless.

Money’s divine property of abstraction, of disconnection from the real world of things, reached its extreme in the early years of the twenty-first century as the financial economy lost its mooring in the real economy and took on a life of its own. The vast fortunes of Wall Street were unconnected to any material production, seeming to exist in a separate realm.

Looking down from Olympian heights, the financiers called themselves “masters of the universe,” channeling the power of the god they served to bring fortune or ruin upon the masses, to literally move mountains, raze forests, change the course of rivers, cause the rise and fall of nations. But money soon proved to be a capricious god. As I write these words, it seems that the increasingly frantic rituals that the financial priesthood uses to placate the god Money are in vain. Like the clergy of a dying religion, they exhort their followers to greater sacrifices while blaming their misfortunes either on sin (greedy bankers, irresponsible consumers) or on the mysterious whims of God (the financial markets). But some are already blaming the priests themselves.

This guy is an atheist!

Actually, that's not evidence.

1) Nothing says that all workers are worth hiring.

2) Most of the homeless have mental illnesses.

How many homeless are not worth hiring, and how many are mentally ll? Of those that are mentally ill, how many of those are unable to sustain employment. My gut tells me that you used your gut to make these two assertions and that you don't actually know. Also, how many homeless people are currently working? (Hint: more than you think.) Obviously I was being over simplistic in my reply, but then it was a very overly simplistic assertion our poster from another board made in the first place.

In my estimation. the capitalists have a theory and it goes something like this: No matter what happens, things will work out okay as long as the government doesn't get involved. This is a rich man's wealth preserving philosophy but it is not an actual working theory to guide the actions of all the people. It appears to be true for the capitalists themselves but not the masses. To them, a living wage is just the government trying to suppress the natural downward progression of wages and the natural increase in the profits of the capitalists. They seem to feel that "natural market forces" must not be tampered in such a manner they have to change their ways. In a way, what they are saying is correct, but the gross inequality we are seeing in America is having extreme side effects. What they are saying may be correct but the feelings they express are utterly narcissistic and blind to the masses.

I tend to agree with one caveat. Many of these capitalists expect government intervention at their request, and to stay out of their business (pun intended) otherwise. They shouldn't regulate or tax, but they should be there as a cushion for themselves when their greed gets them into trouble and bailouts are required, or when interest rates or inflation require adjustment.

How many homeless are not worth hiring, and how many are mentally ll? Of those that are mentally ill, how many of those are unable to sustain employment. My gut tells me that you used your gut to make these two assertions and that you don't actually know. Also, how many homeless people are currently working? (Hint: more than you think.) Obviously I was being over simplistic in my reply, but then it was a very overly simplistic assertion our poster from another board made in the first place.

Actually, I've known quite a few homeless people and most of them were receiving a government check of some sort or another, and even those getting a very small check would have qualified for housing assistance. I've also known several who were working. Ironically, we didn't have many homeless people during the Great Depression. That's because you got locked up for vagrancy, but the courts have said governments can't do that anymore. I've only known one homeless person who was diagnosably mentally ill. He had a home in a half-way house, but he refused to live there. From the homeless people that I've known personally (about a dozen), I'd say that homelessness is largely a choice. They'd rather be homeless and spend what they had on other things than rent.

SimpleDon writes:

Let me try to explain this the way that I understand it, from the post-Keynesian economic perspective.

When we are looking at the economy as a whole, what economists call the macroeconomy, there are winners and losers from any change. Money that goes to one sector has to come from another sector. It is simple cash flow accounting.

If you force wages up the money has to come from somewhere else in the economy. That somewhere else is profits. There is no other possibility.

Although this post seems to me to drift a little far afield from the OP, I find claims being made here that I just can't let go unchallenged. Of course, higher wages do not have to come from profits. They can, and do, come from other workers. The employer who is forced to pay higher wages can simply pass the cost on in the form of higher prices. Since his competitors are in the same position that he is in, he can be fairly confident that he will not lose market share because his competitors are forced to pay higher wages too. So they call all maintain their profit margins.

Of course, the money to pay the higher prices has to come from somewhere so that employer may find that he still sells less, not because of competition but because people simply don't have as much money to spend on his products. So he is now selling less and must lay off some of his employees. But it is also possible that the demand for his product is sufficiently inelastic that people will still buy his products, but they will buy less of something else. This simply puts those other businesses in his position. People get laid off because prices have risen across the board, but unless the government prints more money there is no additional money to pay the higher prices so less gets bought and less gets produced. The money to pay the higher wages comes from those people who used to get a paycheck but no longer do. Of course, some businesses may go out of business altogether because of this. Drug stores no longer have lunch counters for example, and the soda jerk is a long dead profession.

Yes, all of the things that conservatives say will happen if the minimum wage is raised probably will happen somewhere in the economy. But all of these effects, higher prices, loss of employment, will be balanced out against positive results from the increase. It is this balance that we are concerned with looking at the whole economy.

And the claim that that balance must necessarily be positive is a highly subjective claim. Personally, I do not think that higher wages for the employed is good when it leads to more people being unable to find work.

It doesn't help us to consider the extremes. Yes, it is bad if we raise wages so high that there are no profits. Yes, it is bad if we lower wages to zero and have money flowing only to profits and capital, what we call slavery. These extremes don't tell us anything. They are not at all instructive beyond the obvious, don't go to extremes.

So is $15 an hour an extreme? How about $20 and hour? Why were Congressional Democrats so stingy as to limit the minimum wage increase to a mere $10.10 and hour. In fact, they were stingier than that, because that wouldn't go into effect for 3 years. The initial increase was only something like $8 an hour with staged increases along the way. The reason for this, of course, is that $8 an hour is already the effective minimum wage. They weren't risking much of an increase with this bill because they expected that three years from now, due to inflation, most people would already be paying close to $10 an hour. So minimum wage increases are mostly window dressing. But they do have a negative side-effect because they prevent a young, untrained employee from trading his labor for on-the-job training.

In the macroeconomy supply and demand don't balance each other. Any automatic mechanism to balance the two that naturally exists in the economy is so weak and acts so slowly that it is reasonable to say that for all practical purposes it doesn't exist. The economy behaves exactly like we observe it to behave, it can remain imbalanced for decades. This is the most important point that Keynes taught us. To see the truth of it we have to look no further than our economy since the financial crisis of 2008 or the Japanese economy over the last two decades.

Keynes taught us that? Are you saying that Keynes did not believe in the law of supply and demand? There is no price at which the market clears? That's news to me. I certainly never read of that in Keynes nor did I read it from Keynes' more modern interpreter, Paul Samuelson. I don't know what the Japanese policy makers have been using if it isn't some form of Post-Keynesianism. Certainly, they aren't, and haven't been, devoted to free market policies.

It is the fiscal policies of the government that determines the balance between supply and demand, between the capital share and the labor share and between profits and wages. In the broadest sense there are all different ways of saying the same thing.

You might have some sort of case here that that is at least the intent of government fiscal policy, but that would only be true if government fiscal policy sought to re-distribute income and/or wealth through it's tax and spend policies. But it is not true when the redistribution of funds is accomplished with borrowed money. The wealthy who contribute these borrowed funds come out the richer for it, and they do so at taxpayer expense and, until recently at least, with very little risk. Meanwhile, government spending does little to redistribute income as most government spending goes to the middle class or to the wealthy. The progressive income tax redistributes somewhat but raising those rates do not redistribute more because government has to maintain loopholes for capital investment or else there wouldn't be any capital investment.

It takes a huge logical disconnect for conservatives to argue that there is a natural mechanism in the economy that will balance supply and demand, that is that the free market exists, and then to argue that we should continue to have fiscal policies that increase supply, profits, at the cost of demand, wages. That we should double down and increase the efforts to increase supply by further lowering the taxes on the rich and increasing taxes on the poor and the middle class. And then to argue that increasing the minimum wage violates the so-called free market, that we can't increase demand or that we shouldn't increase demand. It is saying that the market only works in one direction, that only one form of interference in the operation of the market is justified.

There is no logical disconnect here. The logical disconnect is in believing that supply is a product or service and that demand is something else. The unspoken assumption is that "demand" is simply money, but that would obviously mean that you should increase demand by increasing the money supply, but everyone knows that that is simply a formula for inflation. So demand is somehow left hanging out there as an undefined abstraction. The problem is that abstractions do not exist in the real world. Only concrete things exist in the real world. The fact is that the difference between supply and demand is in the eye of the beholder. It is the point of view of the person in the transaction that makes something supply or demand. In all cases, what the purchaser and seller both desire in a transaction is to give up some good or service in exchange for another good or service. Both supply and demand are products or services. To confuse the medium of exchange for "demand" is a huge and fundamental error but Keynes tried his best to do that with his attack on what he termed, "Say's Law." The fact is that "supply-side" economics is mis-named. It should be called "supply and demand-side" economics because supply and demand are the same thing. The only difference is in the point of view of the people in the transaction. So if you want to increase real demand you have to increase real supply. The real economy is about real stuff. It isn't about worthless pictures of dead presidents or accounting entries in cyber-space.

The only reason to continue policies that increase supply is that there is too much demand in the economy and not enough supply. After thirty years of intentionally boosting supply, with record profits and the huge glut of capital that has built a constant stream of asset bubbles and with effectively negative real interest rates I don't think that any objective observer can say that we are lacking supply, capital, in the economy and that we have too much demand.

I'm really having trouble making much sense of this. How on earth do you conclude that a housing bubble is the result of an over-supply of housing or that any asset bubble results from an oversupply? Didn't Keynes himself argue that an oversupply created depression, not bubbles? And if negative real interest wouldn't increase demand, what would? Don't governments all over the world, including the US, raise interest rates to fight inflation? And certainly inflation can hardly be attributed to over-supply.

Conservatives are arguing now that the supply side economic policies aren't the reason for the glut of capital, the income inequality and the lack of demand in the economy so that we must not only continue, what are according to them, these ineffective policies we should increase them. Logical disconnect.

Where is this "glut" of capital you are talking about? The US savings rate is close to zero. We have had to borrow from China just to finance our budget deficits. Now China isn't lending so the Fed has to create all this money and, in a really big logical disconnect, lend it to the banks so that they can buy bonds from the Treasury Department which the Fed then buys from the banks!

So the Fed buys bonds from the banks which increases the bank's reserves, but to keep the banks from lending money against these reserves which would be inflationary, the Fed pays interest on them! This sounds like chewing gum and baling wire economics to me, but surely there is no evidence here of any capital "glut."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom