• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is it?

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian

Why are people like this? I would have rolled the window down. There's a lot I would have done that he didn't. Hell, for that matter, there was a lot he was doing that I wouldn't have. It's like he was oblivious to how his role in all that escalated matters. His behavior was ridiculously provacative, yet in his mind, all he could see is that he was doing no wrong.

Suppose he didn't have the legal duty to quell their concerns; some reasonable responses would have gone a long way for the making of a better situation. Something internal has a grip on him. What is it?

Do your questions include the person who called 911 and the police? The entire situation is screwed up from start to finish.

Just the uncooperative guy. I'm curious as to what's making him tick.
He probably does not like being hassled over nothing. I would be more interested in what made the 911 person tick or the police officers who persisted in hassling this guy over his "suspicious behavior".

I don't like being hassled over nothing either. This isn't a case of being hassled, and it's certainly not over nothing. No one thing by itself was cause for alarm, but taken together as a whole, it's quite out of the ordinary and warrants a look-see.

Even if he could not see that, the persistent questioning with the goal of quelling concerns to their satisfaction could be viewed as being 'hassled' by him, I suppose, and you think maybe it's as simple as that which triggered evading any semblance of ordinary cooperation? Knowing ones rights is one thing, but I can't get over the window thing. Not acquiescing to the female officer (as depicted early in the video) or even to the male officer (later in the video) is odd, strangely odd.

I wonder how things would have gone down had the child not been in the car. This could have gotten ugly.

I don't like being hassled over nothing either. This isn't a case of being hassled, and it's certainly not over nothing. No one thing by itself was cause for alarm, but taken together as a whole, it's quite out of the ordinary and warrants a look-see.
It was nothing. Yeah, he was a jackass. But so was the 911 caller, and after a couple of minutes, the police were officious jackasses.

It was nothing. Yeah, he was a jackass. But so was the 911 caller, and after a couple of minutes, the police were officious jackasses.

It wasn't nothing. He's a weirdo and possibly psychologically deranged. The caller decided to not turn a blind eye to the very strange behavior, and it would of been a deriliction of duty for the officers to not get to the bottom of it. Even if it's the case he was breaking no law matters not one iota. He nor half of liberal America agree with that, but that's not what's at issue. It's an issue to him and them, but I'm not asking if he's a jackass. I'm just wondering what psychological phenomena is at work here.

It wasn't nothing. He's a weirdo and possibly psychologically deranged. The caller decided to not turn a blind eye to the very strange behavior, and it would of been a deriliction of duty for the officers to not get to the bottom of it. Even if it's the case he was breaking no law matters not one iota. He nor half of liberal America agree with that, but that's not what's at issue. It's an issue to him and them, but I'm not asking if he's a jackass. I'm just wondering what psychological phenomena is at work here.
He neither a weirdo and definitely doesnt seem psychologically detanged.
Did you miss that they knew who he was from the beginning?
The police behaved totally fucked up.

I think his reaction is grounded in the feeling that the police should behave according to the law, that since they have the power they should protect, not harass.
I find that completely sane.
The polices (nine of them!! Why??) made complete asses of themselves..

I think his reaction is grounded in the feeling that the police should behave according to the law, that since they have the power they should protect, not harass.

Protect? The only question of who might have needed protection was the police themselves. That's what started all this. The police were remarkably self restrained throughout his continued display of defiance.

There have been countless threads where people continually misattribute ... certain things. It's almost as if things are being seen through a different lens. When I see the expressions of the police, there are moments when I can't help but see a sense of being grounded with unbelievable patience, but when those of a liberal bent cast their view of the situation, the perspective articulated is diametically opposed to what I see.

Never mind the caller for a moment. What were the police supposed to do? Take a peak and see a man backed up in a truck questionably parked, video taping police as they entered and leave? AND LEAVE IT AT THAT? If (IF) there just so happened to have been more in store for the people there and a tragedy ensued, there would have been a hell of lot more questions being asked and finger pointing and blame going around to the hilt.

The police approached and politely tried to get a better sense of his intentions, but what they're left to deal with is a bastard from bastardville--talking ridiculous smack about not providing identification. From the very beginning! I've seen other videos where people like him intentionally try to set up police anticipating an interrogation of sorts.

Ya know what's fucked up? I bet he's actually been pissed off in the past for the times he wasn't approached. It's like there's this itch in needing of a scratch. He probably wants (badly wants) to defend these stupid rights he speaks of. How many damn videos did he have to digest into his psyche before he could be so 'well versed' on his rights. Normal people don't pant for the opportunity to boast about not licking boot straps. And as far as some of these rights go, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the logic is on par with those that will defend to their dying breath that there's no legal standing to collect federal income tax.

I don't care how badly anyone wants to change the subject. I'm telling you there's something bad wrong with that guy. He's adopted a liberal (for lack of a better word) mindset. Because he's been immersed in it, he's that way, and that blinds him to any sense of normalcy--just as others are blinded and find fault instead with the others (like the caller and police in this instance).

On a more self reflective note, I do remain at least slightly open minded to the prospect that it's my view and the lens from which I judge this that is somehow mildly skewed--maybe things like obedience, authoritarianism, or strong conservative leanings is a prominent cause--maybe.

Still, the window. What drives a person to take that stance? What the hell goes through a persons mind to remain so steadfastly stubborn as to have virtually no respect or hospitality in a moment like that when he knows damn well he's the instigator in all this. What, because he firmly believes he was breaking no law? That's so beyond messed up that there has to be something causing him to think that's unquestionably acceptable.

Still, the window. What drives a person to take that stance? What the hell goes through a persons mind to remain so steadfastly stubborn as to have virtually no respect or hospitality in a moment like that when he knows damn well he's the instigator in all this. What, because he firmly believes he was breaking no law? That's so beyond messed up that there has to be something causing him to think that's unquestionably acceptable.
Maybe he is thinking...
'Gee the police demand constant respect and deference from citizens, and here they are breaking a law indiscriminately without consequence.' They clearly think they are above obeying traffic laws but I know for a fact that they enforce these same traffic laws on citizens who don't belong to their special club every day. They are hypocrites who don't DESERVE the respect they demand from the public they serve. And here I am breaking no laws and look what happens. They come to harass ME. I know my rights and I am not required to do anything the police ask for until they tell me that they think I broke a law. So why WOULD I give them the pleasure of extending the courtesy of lowering my window when they aren't doing me the courtesy of leaving me unharrassed!'

That's not what would be going through my mind, and I personally wouldn't have reacted even close to the same way as he did in this situation, but that might be close to what he was thinking. That said, these thoughts aren't weird. They are the thoughts of a person who cares about fairness and justice and thinks respect should be earned and not passed out freely to anyone just because they happen to be wearing a uniform.

Why are people like this? I would have rolled the window down. There's a lot I would have done that he didn't. Hell, for that matter, there was a lot he was doing that I wouldn't have. It's like he was oblivious to how his role in all that escalated matters. His behavior was ridiculously provacative, yet in his mind, all he could see is that he was doing no wrong.

Suppose he didn't have the legal duty to quell their concerns; some reasonable responses would have gone a long way for the making of a better situation. Something internal has a grip on him. What is it?

Why would you roll down your window? You need only have it down far enough to converse and pass documents and this only after the cop has told you what law you have broken. Rolling down your window allows the cop to stick his head in the vehicle and use the "I smell..." excuse to search your vehicle. It is also done for psychological effect. You're likely already feeling vulnerable and scared, now likely more so by removing this barrier between you and the cop.

What is it? It's his sense of fair play. But he screwed up by answering any questions to begin with. If a cop approaches and doesn't state what law you have broken, sit there and do nothing if you want. Look, the cop isn't coming over because he wants to be your friend. He's there to coerce you into answering questions and give your consent to do what he wants. "Do you know why I stopped you?" Go ahead, incriminate yourself. "Do you mind if I search your vehicle?" Sure. My car's a mess. I've got years worth of stuff from not only myself but maybe what has fallen out of the pockets of others. Perhaps you can find a reason to throw me in jail.

I'm not saying act like a prick if you just rolled through a stop sign or failed to use your turn signal as you're likely to get off with a warning, but don't roll over and expose your genitals either. Much of a cop's power during a traffic stop is derived through your consent.

Why would you roll down your window? You need only have it down far enough to converse and pass documents and this only after the cop has told you what law you have broken. Rolling down your window allows the cop to stick his head in the vehicle and use the "I smell..." excuse to search your vehicle. It is also done for psychological effect. You're likely already feeling vulnerable and scared, now likely more so by removing this barrier between you and the cop.

What is it? It's his sense of fair play. But he screwed up by answering any questions to begin with. If a cop approaches and doesn't state what law you have broken, sit there and do nothing if you want. Look, the cop isn't coming over because he wants to be your friend. He's there to coerce you into answering questions and give your consent to do what he wants. "Do you know why I stopped you?" Go ahead, incriminate yourself. "Do you mind if I search your vehicle?" Sure. My car's a mess. I've got years worth of stuff from not only myself but maybe what has fallen out of the pockets of others. Perhaps you can find a reason to throw me in jail.

I'm not saying act like a prick if you just rolled through a stop sign or failed to use your turn signal as you're likely to get off with a warning, but don't roll over and expose your genitals either. Much of a cop's power during a traffic stop is derived through your consent.

I try to keep in mind that 'soft words oft turneth away wrath', even when dealing with officials drunk with power. Polite-but-firm, aware of my rights; but also of my responsibilities as a good citizen and a human being. And if I know that I was breaking some minor law- going faster than the posted limit, or some such- I do normally admit it right away. Better to be honest but slightly careless than piss the cop off with a blatant lie. Sounds like the guy in this case would have gotten a whole lot less hassle if he had used my methods.

Of course, I'm white, and my beard is almost entirely gray, which are both usually to my advantage in such situations. But even those of other races and younger ages normally will benefit from practicing good manners.

I am wondering what psychological phenomena is at work here that causes someone to call this man a "weirdo" or carping about what "liberal America" agrees with or not. This man was not doing anything wrong. Videotaping cars is not harmful or dangerous.

The real issue here is the fear that drove this caller to waste the time of the police, and the police wasting their own time after about 4 minutes.

I try to keep in mind that 'soft words oft turneth away wrath', even when dealing with officials drunk with power. Polite-but-firm, aware of my rights; but also of my responsibilities as a good citizen and a human being. And if I know that I was breaking some minor law- going faster than the posted limit, or some such- I do normally admit it right away. Better to be honest but slightly careless than piss the cop off with a blatant lie. Sounds like the guy in this case would have gotten a whole lot less hassle if he had used my methods.

Of course, I'm white, and my beard is almost entirely gray, which are both usually to my advantage in such situations. But even those of other races and younger ages normally will benefit from practicing good manners.

That's very true.

One foggy morning I was a passenger and my son was driving. He mistakenly turned onto an exit ramp, went about fifty feet before realizing the mistake, backed down and began to drive again when a cop came screaming down the road, then another, then another, lights, sirens the whole shebang. Had I not been there it would have been a very different scene because the cop was a local jerk with a uniform that was three sizes too big.

Some people are just good at being assholes.

The real issue here is the fear that drove this caller to waste the time of the police, and the police wasting their own time after about 4 minutes.
What's not to get? Have we not all witnessed people being assholes? Are we living in denial and so are surprised when it happens? Even good people can occasionally enter into asshole status. It happens.

Some people just are too prideful. I remember one time I was doing field work and when I looked up, I noticed there were three police cars where there previously had been zero. Someone called the cops on me.... (Working while white?). I had every right to be doing what I was doing... working in the public ROW and everything. I could have been an ass about it, but I wasn't. I wasn't an ass, the officers weren't asses and nothing very quickly begot nothing.

But sometimes, other people just have to make a case. People sometimes have a hard time just letting things be.

Some people just are too prideful. I remember one time I was doing field work and when I looked up, I noticed there were three police cars where there previously had been zero. Someone called the cops on me.... (Working while white?). I had every right to be doing what I was doing... working in the public ROW and everything. I could have been an ass about it, but I wasn't. I wasn't an ass, the officers weren't asses and nothing very quickly begot nothing.

But sometimes, other people just have to make a case. People sometimes have a hard time just letting things be.

Exactly my point. Emotions often get the better of people. I'd go so far as to say that most people think with feelings, not thoughts.

There is also the Dunning Kruger effect at work with everyone all the time. In short, when you don't know what you don't know you think you know.

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I should be less judgmental and more understanding.

Protect? The only question of who might have needed protection was the police themselves. That's what started all this. The police were remarkably self restrained throughout his continued display of defiance.

There have been countless threads where people continually misattribute ... certain things. It's almost as if things are being seen through a different lens. When I see the expressions of the police, there are moments when I can't help but see a sense of being grounded with unbelievable patience, but when those of a liberal bent cast their view of the situation, the perspective articulated is diametically opposed to what I see.

Never mind the caller for a moment. What were the police supposed to do? Take a peak and see a man backed up in a truck questionably parked, video taping police as they entered and leave? AND LEAVE IT AT THAT? If (IF) there just so happened to have been more in store for the people there and a tragedy ensued, there would have been a hell of lot more questions being asked and finger pointing and blame going around to the hilt.

The police approached and politely tried to get a better sense of his intentions, but what they're left to deal with is a bastard from bastardville--talking ridiculous smack about not providing identification. From the very beginning! I've seen other videos where people like him intentionally try to set up police anticipating an interrogation of sorts.

Ya know what's fucked up? I bet he's actually been pissed off in the past for the times he wasn't approached. It's like there's this itch in needing of a scratch. He probably wants (badly wants) to defend these stupid rights he speaks of. How many damn videos did he have to digest into his psyche before he could be so 'well versed' on his rights. Normal people don't pant for the opportunity to boast about not licking boot straps. And as far as some of these rights go, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the logic is on par with those that will defend to their dying breath that there's no legal standing to collect federal income tax.

I don't care how badly anyone wants to change the subject. I'm telling you there's something bad wrong with that guy. He's adopted a liberal (for lack of a better word) mindset. Because he's been immersed in it, he's that way, and that blinds him to any sense of normalcy--just as others are blinded and find fault instead with the others (like the caller and police in this instance).

On a more self reflective note, I do remain at least slightly open minded to the prospect that it's my view and the lens from which I judge this that is somehow mildly skewed--maybe things like obedience, authoritarianism, or strong conservative leanings is a prominent cause--maybe.

are you serious? what the police should have done? nothing. and if that wasnt possible one police should have called his phone and asked him what we was up to. (they knew him so there wasnit really any question who he was and what he was doing there).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom