• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is the differene between a model and a theory?

A theory is a model that has stood up to challenges.

If you mean a scientific theory I've gotta say nope.

Scientific theory organizes a body of empirical data is mostly operational analytic statements. While a scientific model can be demonstrable scientific theory they usually are instances, aspects, of theory.

To me a model is quantitatively predictive. A theory does not necessarily have a model. To me a model is a function that is mathematically developed. A model can be entirely theoretical or experimentally demonstrated, or a mix of the two.

In usage the two can be synonymous and depends on context.

'I have a theory that motions of the planets are governed by a force I call gravity' vs 'I use the Newtonian model to predict the interaction of a space probe and a planet'.

I could have said Newtonian theory instead of Newtonian model.

Ohm's Law has long been referred as part or electrical theory. I call it a model.

Science works regardless of what you call it.

I was looking through my textbooks, and I noticed something very interesting that I didn't think was all that interesting before we started talking about models in the other thread.

It's not just math like Maxwell's equations that can predict and explain nature. The periodic table and the pattern of particles in the eightfold way also seem to be intrinsically true. There is something incredibly interesting to me about the fact that the eightfold way and the periodic table were able to make predictions about what particles and elements should fill the gaps when these models were not as complete as they are now, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Way_(physics) .

How can we be right about something without knowing it first, amazing!

Addition:

I read what you said about math again, and I think I misunderstood what you were going for. You probably meant math in general and not specific equations like Maxwell's.

If that's what you meant, then I agree. Mathematical descriptions of the models seems to be the primary reason why there is this regularity of the models that I mentioned above. The math is what shows the order of the particles and the elements.
Hey, if you like the periodic table now, check it out when it's arranged so as not to obscure its internal logic. Elements come in groups of four, with the rows of four-element-groups containing 1, 4, 9, 16, ...

A theory is a model that has stood up to challenges.

Scientific theory organizes a body of empirical data is mostly operational analytic statements. While a scientific model can be demonstrable scientific theory they usually are instances, aspects, of theory.

A theory is a model. It is a model that explains facts, laws, and evidence.

A theory is a model. It is a model that explains facts, laws, and evidence.

Whatever. Looked from the right perspective every theory is a filter and every theory is a model. We need to get past quibbling. I added empirical and analysis for theory whereas I put model as demonstration. Your turn.

Back
Top Bottom