• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is your favorite free broadcast (AM/FM) radio station?

PopeInTheWoods

Basic Beliefs
Atheist Humanist
Inspired by the Jimmy Higgins thread over at the "old place", let us know your favorite broadcast radio station. My ulterior motive, other than having the first Media & Culture post, involves my family's many driving vacations. What's good to listen to out there?

Mine is WXXI 91.5, the public classical station here in Rochester NY. They're locally run and programmed, featuring recordings and events from the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra as well as collaboration with the University of Rochester's Eastman School of Music. Of course they also play a bunch of nationally syndicated stuff too.

Runners-up are two of my hometown Buffalo stations, WGR AM 550 for sports (Buffalo Bills and Sabres), and the Mighty 97 Rock as mentioned in the other thread. Also CD 102.5 in Columbus OH, which used to be CD 101.1 "The Alternative Station".

If you are ever driving through St. Louis, make sure you tune to KSHE 95 (94.7 FM). It was the first FM station to broadcast Rock music, and it is still going strong after more than 45 years, playing everything from classic rock to modern rock. You might hear a song by Cream, immediately followed by something from Alter Bridge. Of course, if you don't like rock music at all, you shouldn't bother.

oops

- - - Updated - - -

CBC Radio One or Radio Two. Radio One has great interviews and only one phone-in show, and Radio Two has music all day long, with informed commentary. Neither one has ads.

And here is the link. If you look around, there are also at least forty music streams. Five Jazz, four World, Various Pop and Classical, and so on.

Then, if you are really into it, and can read a bit of French, there's this.

There, fixed it.

WNCW 88.1 FM out of Spindale, NC.

They're an NPR station whose main focus is bluegrass, but they have regularly occurring shows with jazz, reggae, and indie music.

Really refreshing stuff!

NPR wherever I happen to be.

Though I'll always remember a time in the rental car driving, or rather stuck in traffic, down the 405 south of Los Angeles and I found a radio station playing the audio only to a Star Trek TOS episode. I was shocked and pleased. For years I have had cassettes of TOS episodes in my car that I would play when I was tired of listening to music. Now of course I have all 72 on my iPod.

BBC Radio 4

I don't actually listen to it "on the air"; I use the BBC's online iPlayer, but it is "free to air", so I guess it counts.

Thee's always some good comedy on it, including shows which later made it big on TV (Little Britain, League of Gentlemen, The Mighty Boosh ...) as well as drama (HHGTTG, for example), current affairs and discussions.

Back
Top Bottom