• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What proof is there that 2 + 2 = 4?

Unknown Soldier

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Truth Seeker
To see how the sum '2 + 2 = 4' is true, it is necessary to create a formal logical proof. Before I get to that proof, though, it is important that I explain the ground rules the proof is based upon.

First, logicians and mathematicians use the symbol '∀' to indicate universal quantification. So the form '∀x' is read "all x," "any x," or "every x" where the variable x expresses something that is an element of a set.

Next, there is an important rule in logic and mathematics referred to as "universal elimination." Universal elimination, often denoted '∀E', is the logic that if all elements of a set have a particular property, then a single element of that set, an "instance," has that property. So, for example, since all prime numbers have the property that they are only evenly divisible by 1 and themselves, then 17, an instance of the prime numbers, is only evenly divisible by 1 and itself. Universal elimination is a rule that is often used in logical and mathematical proofs to arrive at a conclusion.

To form mathematical proofs involving operations on the nonnegative integers; 0, 1, 2, 3 and so forth; logicians and mathematicians use what is called the "successor function." The successor function is usually denoted with successive letter s's. The "successor" of any nonnegative integer z is the least of the integers greater than z, or z + 1. So the successor of 0 is 1 which is denoted 's0, the successor of 1 is 2 which is denoted denoted 'ss0' and so on.

Finally, there are two important successor-axioms we need to know to prove 2 + 2 = 4:

A1: ∀x(x + 0) = x
A2: ∀x∀y(x + sy) = s(x + y)

So the proof that 2 + 2 = 4 is the following:
  1. ∀x∀y(x + sy) = s(x + y) by A2
  2. ∀y(ss0 + sy) = s(ss0 + y) by ∀E on 1
  3. (ss0 + ss0) = s(ss0 + s0) by ∀E on 2
  4. (ss0 + s0) = s(ss0 + 0) by ∀E on 2
  5. (ss0 + ss0) = ss(ss0 + 0) by Transitive Equality on 3 and 4
  6. ∀x(x + 0) = x by A1
  7. (ss0 + 0) = ss0 by ∀E on 6
  8. (ss0 + ss0) = ssss0 by Transitive Equality on 5 and 7
Line 8 of this proof, the conclusion (ss0 + ss0) = ssss0, where ss0 is 2 and ssss0 is 4, is in mathematics denoted '2 + 2 = 4'.

It's important to understand that this proof is based on selected ground rules. In particular the successor function assumes that there is no upper limit to the nonnegative integers which is to say that all nonnegative integers have successors.

I think the starting point is Peano and the definition of integers, IOW counting.

Mathematical induction can be used to prove that an identity is valid for all integers n≥1. Here is a typical example of such an identity: 1+2+3+⋯+n=n(n+1)2. More generally, we can use mathematical induction to prove that a propositional function P(n) is true for all integers n≥1.Jul 7, 2021

There is a mathematician on the forum. Maybe he might jump in.

You want somebody to prove me wrong, in other words.

Anyway, I want to emphasize that the proof in the OP makes use of the successor function at every step. Like I explained, the successor function is based on the mathematical definition that nonnegative integers are whole numbers starting at 0 which are successively separated by 1. Since mathematicians place no limit on how many 1s can be added to zero, then there is no largest nonnegative integer. Without the successor rule and the definition of nonnegative integers, both of which were invented by mathematicians, the proof in the OP that 2 + 2 = 4 fails.

In other words, '2 + 2 = 4' is made up. It is an assertion based on arbitrary rules selected by mathematicians who prefer those rules over other rules. As such, the whole discipline of mathematics is neither absolute nor objective.

You want somebody to prove me wrong, in other words.

Anyway, I want to emphasize that the proof in the OP makes use of the successor function at every step. Like I explained, the successor function is based on the mathematical definition that nonnegative integers are whole numbers starting at 0 which are successively separated by 1. Since mathematicians place no limit on how many 1s can be added to zero, then there is no largest nonnegative integer. Without the successor rule and the definition of nonnegative integers, both of which were invented by mathematicians, the proof in the OP that 2 + 2 = 4 fails.

In other words, '2 + 2 = 4' is made up. It is an assertion based on arbitrary rules selected by mathematicians who prefer those rules over other rules. As such, the whole discipline of mathematics is neither absolute nor objective.
I here by confer on you a PHD in Wkiology, with honors.

Anybody can cobble together something from the net.

I'd say if you do not understand counting. integers and induction then you probably do not really know what you are posting.

2 + 2 = 4.

Trying telling your bank or Walmart that this is not true.
Financial institutions and merchants seek to maximize wealth, so they do their financial calculations using rules in which there are no limits to sums. It could have been different, of course.
A word problem:

You put $2 into your checkmng account and $2 into your savings account, how much money have you put in the bank?

2 + 2 = 4.

Trying telling your bank or Walmart that this is not true.
Financial institutions and merchants seek to maximize wealth, so they do their financial calculations using rules in which there are no limits to sums. It could have been different, of course.
A word problem:

You put $2 into your checkmng account and $2 into your savings account, how much money have you put in the bank?
$3. Now, prove me wrong.

AsI said I do not claim to be a matemtican.

When I wnet through linear algebra I skimmed through the basis for algebra to have a general understnding.

You can start with fields and Peano. Counting comes down to definitions as does all math. As does physics in mters, kilograms,seconds.

in second grade... one plus one equals two, one plus two equals three.... soppoted by examples.

If I have one apple here and two apples tere I have three appless, comrehension.

Your lack of comprehson is not my problem.

Ste yiur argument as a sylogism if you can.

p1
p2
p3 ..
c therefore...

Quote miing from videos is insufficient. Persent a coherent step by step argument, and we can proceed.

The onus is on you to make your claim.

Back
Top Bottom