• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter: 8/10 for pure batshit what-the-fuck, but probably a realistic 2/10 at best in terms of television

found this on hulu by accident, it's kind of hard to describe.
the basic premise is right there in the title, but the brilliant stupidity of this show is in the execution.
it's like the best incarnation of a horrible B movie that knows exactly what it is, it's so random and absurdist and the humor is so ridiculous... there were so many times during watching this i turned to my friend and was like "what the FUCK are we even watching!?"
it's a production from adult swim, so it's up there with other weird-as-shit things like Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell and such, definitely recommend if you're into this sort of thing.

Altered Carbon ---- on Netflix. The second season is now out.
It's a sci-fi series which delves into the pros and cons of immortality... with a lot of fighting and nudity ;)
The special effects are great for both seasons. I found the story-line plots a little weak the first season, but they've done a better job in season 2.
I'm looking forward to season 3 (I hope Netflix doesn't cancel it.)

A couple from Netflix.

Don't F**k with Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer
4/10

This is about internet geeks trying to find a cat killer who posted videos online of his killings. Be warned, it shows parts of the videos. The geeks analyze the videos to try track down the killer, all from sitting at their computers. The problem I have with the series (only 3 eps) is they sell the show as though these people will solve the case, but they don't at all, they never get closer than narrowing it down to someone living in North America, really. They do in fact learn who the killer is, but only after he tells them himself by posting to their facebook group.

The killer is Luka Magnotta, who has become well known because he graduated to killing a human and posted that video too. I am surprised I had never heard of Magnotta because his crime may be the most heinous and senseless murder I can think of. It is f**king horrific, because of his motive and how he carried it out. The Magnotta case would make a good topic for a crime documentary, but not this one. This show focuses on the internet sleuthers and they are not that interesting. I later watched an episode of the Fifth Estate (a Canadian news program, Magnotta is from Canada) on youtube that told much more about the case in a fifth the time. None of the main US true crime shows have covered it that I could find.

Ultraviolet
7/10

This is a fictional series from Poland, also about a group of internet geeks who try to solve crimes, but they actually solve them. They go out in the field though and do more than sit at the computer. I liked this show, the lead is very appealing and the way it shows on your screen the group interacting on their apps works well. The show is weird though, there are many very unrealistic plot developments and the dialogue can be odd or melodramatic, but it is very humorous still.

Lost in Space reboot - 0/10

Wife wanted to watch this, so we gave it a shot. I had trepidation going in based on the casting.

I don't think we got past the opening scene before we were both picking it apart. My reservations about the casting were quickly confirmed, and nothing about the story or environment seemed the least bit believable. They should have just stuck to the campy quality of the original.

The characters all come off as self-absorbed whiners, and the main plot device boils down to everybody doing the stupid. Maybe that's the angle - the characters are going to grow as they realize the spot they're in. Who cares? By the end of the first episode, we were both just wishing the entire family would suffer a quick, traumatic death, and we could watch a show about the alien/robot.

And then they introduced the villain....

Nope.

Deadwood: The Movie - 8/10

Hard for me to count this as a movie, it's more like another episode. It was great to see those characters and hear that dialect again. Even though nothing special compared to the rest of the series, it's worth seeing.

Finished all four seasons of The Expanse. Now there's a void in my life until season five. It just kept getting better, and better, and better.

Now I'm on to something even more dark and gritty, with characters whose level of indifference or outright evil stretches incredulity and makes you fear for the future in the way no science fiction can:

Season 2 of "Dirty Money" on Netflix.

Over the past couple of days, I watched the Ken Burns documentary "The Dust Bowl."

So...you think your life is tough because you can't buy toilet paper at your nearest chain grocery store?

You have no idea.

Tiger King, 7/10; A Netflix documentary series primarily about the feud between two "big cat" conservationists. It's hard to explain but every single character in this sorry tale is absolute bat shit crazy. Why these places are allowed to function in the USA is beyond me. The series is spread out over seven episodes and I felt it was too long overall.

Ozark, Season 3 on Netflix, 9/10

Much improved over the second season which was a tenuous 7/10. My opinion may be skewed as I expect so little out of Netflix. They have such a hard time crapping out decent second seasons of anything that I went in with very low expectations for this third season.

Wife wanted to watch this, so we gave it a shot. I had trepidation going in based on the casting.

I don't think we got past the opening scene before we were both picking it apart. My reservations about the casting were quickly confirmed, and nothing about the story or environment seemed the least bit believable. They should have just stuck to the campy quality of the original.

The characters all come off as self-absorbed whiners, and the main plot device boils down to everybody doing the stupid. Maybe that's the angle - the characters are going to grow as they realize the spot they're in. Who cares? By the end of the first episode, we were both just wishing the entire family would suffer a quick, traumatic death, and we could watch a show about the alien/robot.

Nope.
Word is season two picks up. The show did seem quite derivative in season one, and I hadn't finished it, but some here have spoke well about Season Two.

Nope.
Word is season two picks up. The show did seem quite derivative in season one, and I hadn't finished it, but some here have spoke well about Season Two.

I quite liked it.

The show wouldn't have worked if it had "stuck to the campy quality of the original." There was a moment in the very beginning of the original where it had the opportunity to make a show about a "space family Robinson" with Dr. Smith as a real villain, and they went in the other direction. This version hewed towards the "what if they'd kept going with the Robinson's as the heroes and Dr. Smith as the villain?" thing. Plus the Robinson's weren't the perfect parents after all, and Don West wasn't this impulsive yet stalwart hero.

I wasn't sold on the whole robot/Will Robinson story arc, but generally speaking it was far beyond the campy original by a long shot.

Hilary 7/10. Binged watched the whole thing in one evening. Enjoyed the insights, although this doc is certainly pro-Clinton. It tends to deal with each issue as a single issue, instead of an ongoing theme, that the Clinton's brought upon themselves. If Hilary had answered questions more honestly during the election, as she does here, then she probably would have won. But hind-sight is easier. I got into this, you might too, even if your not a fan either.

Was flipping channels coupla days ago and came across the old paramedic show Emergency! and the scene was a patient in a hospital bed suffering from a new viral outbreak. I thought it must be intentional to air this one but I checked the schedule and it was airing in order in its season. Just a coincidence.

It was weird to see the doctors discuss all these things that are too familiar now, trying to get approval for drug treatments, trying convalescent serum (which is what saves the day) and all the masks and fevers. The virus came from a pet monkey. Guest starring Cathy Lee Crosby as the monkey owner. My rating is, I'd allow Julie London to take my temperature.

We found out that a friend of ours was an extra for several episodes of “The Wire” (and “Homicide” before that), so now my wife wants to watch it, even though it’s not her kind of TV. We did the first two episodes last night; so far, so good.

I just started watching "Ad Vitam" on the Netflix.

It's a French science fiction series about a near-future where science has conquered mortality. Well, almost. People who are compatible with the "rejuvenation" procedure can stop aging and remain forever 30. Sort of like a reverse Logan's Run situation.

As with all utopias, there's a problem. Not only are there people who are not compatible or who simply refuse to undergo the treatment, a radical suicide cult has arisen among some young people. The story (and I've just got done with episode 1) follows a cop who is investigating the cult with the help of a young woman who survived a mass suicide when she was a teenager and has been living in a mental institution for a decade.

It's too early to tell where it's going or whether it's going to be worth the time, but I noticed right away that there are a few shots and cuts that seem to have been influenced by French New Wave cinema. It's very subtle, but an interesting aspect.

We found out that a friend of ours was an extra for several episodes of “The Wire” (and “Homicide” before that), so now my wife wants to watch it, even though it’s not her kind of TV. We did the first two episodes last night; so far, so good.

Get ready to play "Who were they in Homicide?". But in all honesty, if David Simon is involved, it's worth watching. I've just started "The Plot Against America". Seeing as I am utterly ignorant of 1940s America, I like the different points of view they portray. And I'm a huge fan of Harry Turtledove, so I'm a sucker for alternate history.

This guy I knew from my stand-up comedy class wound up starring in "The Walking Dead." I never watched it because I'm really, really not into the zombie genre, but a couple weeks ago I saw him in a documentary about Sam J. Jones (of "Flash Gordon" fame) and was like "oh, cool...there's Josh!"

I'm rewatching Friends on Netflix. It's amazing how well the show holds up after a couple of decades.

Season One of Homicide was the best television ever got until premium cable got into the act. The remainder of Homicide is great and compelling, but Season One is just OMFG!!! level greatness. Robin Williams co-stars in one of the very few Season Two episodes and I was extremely impressed. I have no idea why Homicide isn't streaming anywhere. I need to break out the DVDs.

The Wire, overall would be better (marginally), but it was also much shorter than the Homicide series.

Better Call Saul, season 5, 7/10; The series finale aired this week and as usual it ends with a cliffhanger that should get fans back no problem. However, I get the impression the writers are starting to run out of steam and some of the main characters are coming across as bland and not believable. Acting performances and filming is still very good but the sub plots are not very interesting and sometimes a bit silly.

Back
Top Bottom