• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What's in a name?

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

I've been attacked before for suggesting that names might actually say something about the person. (Common factor: the parents.) Well, turns out someone noticed that in a medical context 15 years ago.

Named after a popular culture figure: 1.91 risk ratio vs average for hospital admission. In other words, almost twice as likely to end up in the hospital.

I've been attacked before for suggesting that names might actually say something about the person. (Common factor: the parents.) Well, turns out someone noticed that in a medical context 15 years ago.

Named after a popular culture figure: 1.91 risk ratio vs average for hospital admission. In other words, almost twice as likely to end up in the hospital.
The authors appear to have the causation backwards, if any causation even exists for this pair of correlated observations:
article said:
We speculate that our findings, which are in concordance with those from educational and psychological literature, may reflect socio-economic status and/or a 'self-fulfilling prophecy'. Further research may make it possible to assign names an RR rating (e.g. for hospital admission in the first 16 years of life), thus providing parents with another factor to consider when choosing names for their children.

It strikes me as resonable to expect that parents choosing a different name, as a result of such a rating scheme, would have no effect on the outcomes for specific children, as the name is almost certainly symptomatic, not causative.

article said:
More studies are of course needed.
Indeed. But it could be unwise to fund these specific researchers to do those studies.

In other words, almost twice as likely to end up in the hospital.

Twice not very likely, is not very likely.

Back
Top Bottom