• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

When am I not human anymore?

This is an interesting issue. A lot of people pro-life have no problem pulling the plug on a brain dead person but think it murder to abort a fetus without the ability to have conciousness yet.

"Pro-life" people also seem to think that life loses all value at birth, at least if their stated policies are anything to go by.

What you just said truly reflects very well the poor status of Chicago's public schools.... Lol.

Well, I just got convicted of indecent exposure, theft, trespassing and whatever charge pooping on someone's lawn was... The judge didn't buy my defense that: "I wasn't thinking at the time".

My dog didn't get charged with anything for doing the exact same things (neither did he have any complaints about the sausage).

There's something wrong with these laws I'd say.

I think you might check again "these laws".

Lets say a cat is capable to talk and reason like humans. However laws are made for humans, not so for cats. If the cat "consciously" perpetuated an attack to a child with premeditation, and confesses the crime, how laws will rule in this special case? right?

But, lets say you have your dog, and your dog has its part erected, trespass the property of a neighbor and steals a bone toy which belongs to that neighbor's dog, the neighbor will try to talk to you first, but you say that it wasn't you, it way your dog.

Then, the neighbor can use his right to present charges against you because your dog.

This is to say, the laws are for humans, and you as a human are responsible for your dog. The law won't go against the dog when the dog is under the ownership of a person.

Also, if the dog has not an owner and commits acts like stealing or biting people or other animals, the dog can be considered as dangerous and be sent to an animal shelter or just be killed, depending of how dangerous the animal is. Going to a shelter is common in many cities to any street dog.

Animals in general are not under any law in special, just to leave them live freely in nature, but when one of them is a risk or danger for humans, then actions are taken to disable that specific animal.

All of these is because laws were made by human conscious minds to rule the preservation of our species.

My take on it:

Personhood (which is what we should be protecting) extends from first consciousness to last consciousness. After the last consciousness personhood is gone. The hard part is being sure that consciousness will not return--but if brain activity is zero that point has been reached.

You're human even after you're dead. It's a human corpse, not a monkey corpse.

How much consciousness does a single brain cell possess?

1 Conch unit, of course. Same as the amount of electrical current in 1 electron... or, the distance between a point.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an important issue for the future of brain downloading. If I download my brain into a computer as I wait for my new body, I am more than brain dead; I don't even have a brain anymore. It should certainly be murder if someone smashed my hard drive.

Agreed. In my book destroying the mind is murder, period. (I think leaving someone in a permanent vegetative state should be considered murder.)

Fox News is the most prolific serial killer in history, then.

Back
Top Bottom