• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Where will Trump take the US Economy?

I have heard a bunch of people saying that the one good thing about Trump is that the stock market is booming. Is it? I don't follow the US stock market. A lot of Trump voters voted for him because he's a "business man" and they think he will do great things for the economy. Do you think that his presidency will pump up the US economy or collapse it? Will he start a trade war? Social issues (of which there are so many) with him aside, how will he do on the economy?

The US president is largely irrelevant for the US economy. Certainly short term. It'll take about 30 years before anything Trump does will show up in the numbers.

All I can tell is that the stock market is acting like it is on drugs. The Fed is planning to raise rates, and the Market seems to want to ejaculate at that news for the first time in forever.

Trump's proposed policies are a mixed bag for the economy. More infrastructure and defense spending would boost the economy. More protectionism might have a small positive influence on the number of jobs in our economy, if we don't start a trade war.

A massive tax cut for the rich will boost their wealth, the stock market and the deficit but little else.

More deregulation of the financial sector will set us up for a continuing series of financial sector crises like the one in 2007..

But none of this matters, none of these things can be passed until Trump and the Republicans grow up and pivot from being the opposition party to being the party running the government. And they have to do it in 11 days, because the debt ceiling freezes then.

The debt ceiling will freeze at 20 trillion dollars. The national debt is something like 200 billion dollars below that. The debt is growing at five billion dollars a day. This means that in less than three months the government has to reduce spending by five billion dollars a day.

I don't think that that will give the Republicans enough time to go from opposition largely to fantasies of how the Democrats were running the country to actually running the country. And Trump thought health care is complicated.

Back
Top Bottom