• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which god don't i believe in? Again?

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
A relative wants to know the details of the god i discount.
Do i disbelieve the god of the Jews or the Old Testament or do i disbelieve Jesus?
Mormom Jesus or the real Jesus?
And on and on...

Mary, every culture has vampires.

Some drink you blood, some drink your soul, some eat your ghost. Some drown you, some rip your throat out, some eat your brain.
They're human undead, or they're a completely separate species, reproducing among their own kind.
They have great physical strength, or they're weak like some sort of maggoty, animated corpse.

They have a weakness related to human religions, or to certain plants, or to people knocking the bowl of water off their head. They burn in daylight, or they're substantially weakened in daylight or they (ugh) sparkle in daylight.

When we say "I don't believe in vampires," we generally mean the Japanese ones and the Romanian ones and the Central African ones and the Latin American ones and the Chinese ones.... We tend not to believe in any of them, even if we only really know of Dracula, Twilight and Mr. Burns.

Now, if I were to say, I believe in vampires, it would make a difference if i thought they turned into bats or owls or jaguars. It would make a difference if i thought they were vulnerable to garlic, crosses, molasses, scattered birdseed, silver, sunlight or blessed oils.
It would make a difference if i thought finding the corpse of a victim would involve bite marks or strangulation, or drowning... It would be important to know if such a corpse should be buried, burned, submerged in fresh water, staked, or whatever.
It would be reflected if i carried certain items, certain foods, certain, defenses.

But if i don't believe in ANY of them, there's no real way to answer WHICH is hte one i don't believe in. Except: Yes.
If you show me a list of vampires, i'll say, yes, those are the vampires i don't believe in.

I'm an atheist, Mary. I don't believe in any gods.
I don't believe in the entities that are hailed as creators, responsible for the shape of earth and the diversity of all life upon it.
I don't believe in the judges who evaluate my life and determine my post mortem destination in the happy hunting grounds, Valhalla, Helheim, Hades, Hell or Chicago.
I don't believe in the trickster gods who pose as sea monsters or lake monsters, or who run through the forest as bigfoot, or stole the heat from the Moon's light or took Whale's legs while it was asleep.
I don't believe in the lawgivers, or the war helpers or the peace lovers, the healers, the seekers, theshapeshifters. I don't believe in the tenders of flora and fauna or the ones sowing the Forests.
I don't believe any star patterns used to walk the Earth or that anyone created the stars from or to memorialize a particular person.

If you cannot grasp this, we have little to talk about on the subject.

Unless you want to consider the various gigantic anthropoids that live outside of human civilization. Which one do you NOT believe in: Bigfoot, Yeti, Sasquatch....?

Ah ha! You didn't list all of the vampire legends from all of the myths and all of the movies. Since you only listed some of the vampires that you don't believe in, this proves that you believe in all the vampires you didn't list! It is so wonderful that you decided to join me in my belief in the existence of vampires! Don't you feel much better now?

I'm sure that argument sounded much better in her head.

One thing that might have been worth mentioning.

These numbers are somewhat nebulous, because it is heavily dependent on how you define certain words, but by one count there are over 3000+ religions that are or have ever been practiced by man accounting for over 8000 gods. These numbers do not include the 33,000+ denominations in Christianity alone.

I prefer to question their loyalty/sanity with the following:

Me: "If your god told you to strap a bomb to your chest, walk into a crowded shopping mall and blow yourself up, would you?"

Answer "No"
Me: "Then you're not a true believer"

Answer "My god wouldn't ask me to do that"
Me: "What other limitations do you impose on your god?"

Answer "Yes"
Me: (dialing phone) "Hello, Homeland Security?"

You Believe. You're Just Rebelling Against Zeus

You don't want to live a life of virtue and honor, you want to live a life of sloth and crime. Alternatively, You're rebelling against your parents, who tried to lead you in the ways of Eguzkitza, Andre Mari, Ekhi, Peshotanos, and all the other gods and goddesses.

Eldarion Lathria

Back
Top Bottom