• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who here has an Android Smart Watch?

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Why not continue my string of tech related threads here.

I'm considering getting an Android Smart Watch. Not so much for it's usefulness as getting another man-bracelet. I'll probably just go for whatever I think it's the prettiest. That said, it's probably good to engage my brain a bit before letting my soft emotions rule this purchase.

So who here has an Android Smart Watch. Which one do you have? Are you happy about it? Why? Why not? Has it awoken a need you didn't know you had before? Did you get one just because everybody else did and you still don't know why they got it? Any advice regarding the purchase?

Since nothing has been happening in Pseudoscience lately I've been trolling other fora I usually don't. I saw this and figured I'd respond even though it's over a month old now. Maybe the holidays have rendered your question moot?

Anyway, I got the Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 last year at about this time. My dog ate my old conventional watch and I figured, since it's often $100+ for a nice watch, that I may as well get one that does something other than tell time. I'm happy with the decision to get one.

I typically keep the sound and vibration off on my phone so it is nice to have the watch alert me on my wrist. Emails, text messages, facebook notifications, meeting reminders and activity notifications all buzz gently and can be read easily on the screen. I had worried that the small LCDs would be grainy but all of the watches I've seen have pretty stunning appearance. It's also a touch screen so a quick swipe or tap is all it takes to navigate through everything.

At first I tried a few different typing/texting methods but ultimately, the voice control option is the one I use most. I set the watch up to listen for voice commands when double tapped. Then I just say "Text wife, do you need me to pick up anything at the grocery store?" and it types it out for me. Same thing when I want to make a call without digging my phone out of my pocket (especially while driving), I just say "Call Plum Tomatoes" and am ordering pizza moments later.

It's also got other uses depending on the situation. The pedometer is useful but I don't walk enough. I hear the gyro sensors can be used for controlling other devices (like an RC car or something) but I haven't seen that implemented. I do use the camera fairly frequently, especially if my phone and watch happen to get separated. It's useful at work where I need to just snap a quick photo. Heart rate is interesting to check once in a while. I'm sure it would be more valuable to a more athletic person. The infrared emitter works nicely for controlling pretty much any TV or similar device. There are even apps that blast out a series of "off" signals if you wanted to be a prankster.

One really useful application I downloaded, and even paid a dollar for, let's you see through your phone's camera on your watch display. This has come in handy a few times when I've needed to see inside or behind something. For instance, I had a plumbing issue and used my phone to find a leak among some pipes in the ceiling. There is a slight lag but the images are clear and useful.

Otherwise, most of the apps aren't anything to write home about. I mean, I do have the NES emulator on it but, the screen is too small to actually use touch screen controls and see any of the action. It would be nice to see more apps that are actually useful. I haven't toyed too much with GPS companion apps but the ones I've read about seem pretty good on their face. Now that I'm typing this, I'm going to see if Ingress has finally released their smartwatch app!

All in all, my advice is that if you are thinking about a smartwatch you probably won't be disappointed by getting one and they are inexpensive enough that you won't feel too much buyer's remorse if you find it useless.

Thanks. Shortly after creating this thread I bought a LG Urbane. Because it's pretty. Replaced the wristband with a metal one. Looks smashing. As well as being happy with it.

Got the Skymaster watch face. So it looks like a kick-ass Brietling. Awesome.

As for functions. Don't really use it much beyond checking temperatures and the timer. And checking time of course.
It is handy seeing who has messaged me or calling. But not really a killer feature

I got a first generation Moto 360.

I just wanted cheapo watch that could do basic fitness tracking, but still function as a basic smartwatch, and that's what it does, so I'm happy with it. The reviews at the time said it was the best of the cheap watches.

The heart rate monitor is inaccurate, but I really don't care. To function as a fitness tracker, it only needs to compare my heart rate from one moment to the next and compare one day to the next. Whether or not the numbers are accurate don't matter as long as it can recognize when my heart rate goes up or down.

The battery life sucks big sweaty donkey balls. I don't use it much, and I still need to stick it on a charger during the day or else it'll be dead by the end of the day.

For looks, it's great. Yeah, people complain about the "flat tire," but you get used to it, and the flat tire makes possible that ridiculously narrow bezel.

What do I actually use it for other than as a fitness tracker? Mostly, to look at incoming notifications (e.g. text messages), and to control the music when exercising or driving. Also, many watch faces let me see the weather and weather forecast at a glance without having to fumble for my phone.

Back
Top Bottom