• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who will succeed Kamala Harris in the Senate?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Biden win sets off rush for Harris' Senate seat in California - POLITICO

CA Gov Gavin Newsom must choose her successor in the US Senate. Possible candidates:
  • CA Secretary of State Alex Padilla
  • Rep. Karen Bass of LA
  • Rep. Barbara Lee of Oakland
  • Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia
  • State Senate Pro Tem Toni Atkins of San Diego
  • CA Attorney General Xavier Becerra
  • CA Treasurer Fiona Ma
  • CA State Controller Betty Yee
  • CA Lt Gov Eleni Kounalakis
  • Rep. Katie Porter of Orange County
  • Rep. Ro Khanna of Silicon Valley
  • San Francisco Mayor London Breed
  • Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf
Newsom said he is being lobbied day and night by Democrats, and joked they're getting creative in attempting to get his attention.

"You know there's phone calls, there's emails," he said. "People just happen to show up certain places. They want to babysit your kids, they offer to get groceries, get coffee."

No idea. I would love it if Barbara Lee were to take the spot, but that would be quite a game of musical chairs! The main benefit of advancing Ro Khanna would be that he would no longer be the exclusive problem of those of us in District 17. :D

Neither of the Bay Area mayors are in any sense ready for the pressures of the Senate IMO. I don't know Robert Garcia very well. Xavier Becerra seems to me like an improbable pick, but would be extremely competent in the role, as he has been an extremely competent AG in trying times, as he was a competent Congressmen and did good work on the Ways and Means committee.

Eleni Kounalakis has been quite popular, and won my vote for Lt Governor, but i have no idea how she would perform as a Senator.

It will probably be Alex Padilla. He'll be okay I guess. Pelosi will be happy.

If I had three guesses: Xavier Becerra, Xavier Becerra, and Xavier Becerra.

California governor appoints Alex Padilla to fill Kamala Harris' Senate seat - Axios
Background: As California's secretary state, Padilla sought to expand voting access and ensure an accurate census count. He also served two terms in the state Senate, where he authored legislation in favor of climate change reform, closing the digital divide and universal health care.

What to watch: Padilla will have little time in office before campaigning begins for the 2022 race, which could attract top names in the Democratic Party like California Reps. Adam Schiff and Katie Porter. It's not yet clear if Padilla plans to run for a full six-year term.
Governor Gavin Newsom Selects Secretary of State Alex Padilla as California’s Next United States Senator | California Governor
and
Gavin Newsom on Twitter: "His appointment will make history. But the @AlexPadilla4CA I know is far more interested in changing history -- especially for the working men and women of our state and country.

I can think of no one better to represent the state of California as our next United States Senator. (link)" / Twitter

With an inlined video conversation between the two.

I'm curious about Ms Harris' opinion on who should succeed her.

I'm not terribly fond of her, based on her pre-election talk show performances. But she did win the election. She represents the constituency who elected her to office.

Who does she think best qualified to replace her?
Tom

I'm curious about Ms Harris' opinion on who should succeed her.

I'm not terribly fond of her, based on her pre-election talk show performances. But she did win the election. She represents the constituency who elected her to office.

Who does she think best qualified to replace her?
Tom
She tweeted her congratulations: https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1341529573113155584

Her opinion has no standing, so I'm certain she would have rubber stamped any choice Newsom made; this is the standard procedure in nearly all of the states. It's why there was no chance whatsoever of Bernie or Warren being appointed to a cabinet position, their states have Republican governors. Harris of all people is a bit of martinet for legal procedure, she wouldn't dream of disagreeing with the governor I am certain.

Back
Top Bottom