• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are unpleasant politicians so popular?

Being seen as being the lesser of two evils is NOT the same as being popular. Obama in '08 was popular. Sanders during the primaries was popular. Clinton is tolerated. When Candidate Clinton can pull numbers world wide in the tens and even hundreds of thousands to a rally? Then we can call her popular.

And keep in mind, Clinton isn't winning. Trump is losing. Again, there is a difference.

I get your point, but if Hillary wasn't popular among some she'd never have won the primaries in the first place, DWS or no DWS.
She seems to be rather popular among black democrats and older democrats, especially older female democrats.
It's strange. Hillary appeared to be very popular back in 2008, among a major fraction of the voting public, who came off as obsessed with her, as feeling self-righteously entitled to have her become President, and as infuriated that some unknown charismatic black man had come out of nowhere and was unfairly seizing Hillary's historic moment from them.

images

But in 2016, not so much. She won the primaries on inertia -- on people's memories of backing her in 2008. Maybe in the last eight years the sheen has worn off. Or maybe, even back in 2008, they liked the idea of Hillary more than they liked Hillary.

I get your point, but if Hillary wasn't popular among some she'd never have won the primaries in the first place, DWS or no DWS.
She seems to be rather popular among black democrats and older democrats, especially older female democrats.
It's strange. Hillary appeared to be very popular back in 2008, among a major fraction of the voting public, who came off as obsessed with her, as feeling self-righteously entitled to have her become President, and as infuriated that some unknown charismatic black man had come out of nowhere and was unfairly seizing Hillary's historic moment from them.

images

But in 2016, not so much. She won the primaries on inertia -- on people's memories of backing her in 2008. Maybe in the last eight years the sheen has worn off. Or maybe, even back in 2008, they liked the idea of Hillary more than they liked Hillary.

"they liked the idea of Hillary more than they liked Hillary."

I like that

There are certain politicians who, even ignoring the policies they espouse, are just downright unpleasant individuals. And yet despite this they seem to attract a large, vocal, fanatical following. Obviously, the one most in the news right now is Donald Trump, but to name some more, from both sides of the political spectrum, (and apologies for the UK-centric examples, but it's what I know best):Nigel Farage, Ken Livingstone, George Galloway.

To turn around a phrase used about GW Bush, these are not people I'd want to sit down and have a beer with - or indeed spend any time at all with.

So what explains their popularity?
These politicians appear to be able to simplify issues. The issues aren't simple, they're complex, but for those people who don't understand they latch onto a loudmouth champion who is just as stupid as they are.

It's like religion. Much easier to believe in a magic spaceman than to comprehend and understand science, evolution, etc.

Anti-semite, apologist for the likes of Assad or the Iranian theocracy. He is more like a nazi than Farage could ever be.

This 'anti-semite' bit is very popular with the Murdochites just now. It normally means opposition to 'Israeli' Nazis and their child-killing, and no evidence is ever given

images

I'd guess because the perception that there's some systemic problem - rather than a blip in 2007 - has since become widespread, and that she represents more of the same.

There are certain politicians who, even ignoring the policies they espouse, are just downright unpleasant individuals. And yet despite this they seem to attract a large, vocal, fanatical following. Obviously, the one most in the news right now is Donald Trump, but to name some more, from both sides of the political spectrum, (and apologies for the UK-centric examples, but it's what I know best):Nigel Farage, Ken Livingstone, George Galloway.

To turn around a phrase used about GW Bush, these are not people I'd want to sit down and have a beer with - or indeed spend any time at all with.

So what explains their popularity?

Why are heels in wrestling so popular? Why is Darth Vader such a big draw?

Folks that see politics as entertainment get caught up in the most interesting characters rather than who supports the best policies. Some people like to root for the bad guy.

Back
Top Bottom