• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are white people lower case, and Black people upper case?

I think it is neither meaningless (since it's obviously deliberate) nor is it 'persecution'. Please note that rejecting your false dichotomy is not a 'retreat'.

Ok, you don't think it's meaningless. That implies you think it has some meaning. What meaning do you think it possibly has?

I think it is neither meaningless (since it's obviously deliberate) nor is it 'persecution'. Please note that rejecting your false dichotomy is not a 'retreat'.

Ok, you don't think it's meaningless. That implies you think it has some meaning. What meaning do you think it possibly has?

It has some meaning for the people doing it. I'm not a mind reader (unlike Duke Leto), so as I said in the OP, I can't be sure. Rhea made the point that being black is much more an aspect of a Black person's identity than being white is of a White person's identity, but I don't think that explains it. Sexual orientation is probably a more defining aspect of an LGBT's person existence compared to heterosexual people (and I agree with Rhea, it's something that shouldn't have to be but is), but I still wouldn't call others heterosexual and myself Gay.

I also considered a counterfactual: what if someone deliberately capitalised 'White' but never capitalised 'black'? Would my interpretation of that behaviour change if I knew they were a regular Stormfront poster? A blogger on feministing?

I don't think selective capitalisation means nothing, but at the moment the most generous interpretation that is consistent with the usage I've seen does not speak well of the people who do it.

It has some meaning for the people doing it. I'm not a mind reader (unlike Duke Leto), so as I said in the OP, I can't be sure. Rhea made the point that being black is much more an aspect of a Black person's identity than being white is of a White person's identity, but I don't think that explains it. Sexual orientation is probably a more defining aspect of an LGBT's person existence compared to heterosexual people (and I agree with Rhea, it's something that shouldn't have to be but is), but I still wouldn't call others heterosexual and myself Gay.

I also considered a counterfactual: what if someone deliberately capitalised 'White' but never capitalised 'black'? Would my interpretation of that behaviour change if I knew they were a regular Stormfront poster? A blogger on feministing?

I don't think selective capitalisation means nothing, but at the moment the most generous interpretation that is consistent with the usage I've seen does not speak well of the people who do it.

Those White Bastards. There. Capitalized W and B.

Those White Bastards. There. Capitalized W and B.

Why capitalize Bastards? Wherefore Base?

Wherefore should the legitimately born stand in the plague of custom, and permit the curiosity of nations to deprive us of that sweet upper case action? As to the legitimate: fine word,--legitimate! Now gods stand up for the in wedlock!

Back
Top Bottom