• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are Yeast "vegetarian"?

Is that because their proteins are more plant-like than animal-like?
And I did not know yeast were fungi. Interesting. I always thought they were more bacteria-like. And those are animals, aren't they?
No, bacteria are not animals. Lacking a cell nucleus they are considered a separate "domain" from the Eukaryotic "kingdoms" of plants, animals and fungi.
800px-CollapsedtreeLabels-simplified.svg.png

Very simplified tree of life. Blue are bacteria, green a similar domain of "Archaea" and red are Eukaryotes (that have cells with nucleus and organelles), including us.

Wouldn't that mean you're trending Vegetarian? Vegetarian's about the diet, Vegan's about the morals. At least, as i understand the terms. (More to the point, as i've understood them since the night i wore a leather belt to what turned out to be an evening of Vegan Poetry readings.)
Would I be right to assume that it turned out as insufferable as a Vogon poetry reading would? :)

Would I be right to assume that it turned out as insufferable as a Vogon poetry reading would? :)
I really wouldn't know. Never got to the poetry part.

Everyone spent time telling me how horrible a cow's life was, and how horrible his death was, and how horrible the leather industry was... And then it was time to go. Well, some time after they started calling me Dahmer...

- - - Updated - - -

Fece-etious actually
Goose-stepping Fescist...

If you like to drink alcohol, you ARE eating the Yeast's feces.

All cells have a lipid-membrane, but plant cells and fungi cells can have cell walls as well. Plant cell walls and fungi cell walls are different. Fungi are actually more closely related to metazoans (animals) than they are to plants.

Back
Top Bottom