• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why Does a Creator Need to Create Science?

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Lets face it, we live in a universe where there are predictable physical laws that govern its operation. From a religious perspective this is odd because everything we hear told about these supercreatures is unscientific, miracles and all that.

So do we have our creator information wrong? Are these creators themselves governed by physical laws that only appear without limit because of our inability to plumb their behavior? Are they just in more dimensions, perhaps, and therefore appear to us more powerful than ourselves?

And if not, why the change in modus operandi? Why make something entirely different than what you already have? What would be the reason for doing that? Why would you need a big bang and isotopes, and radiocarbon and genes and all that space between galaxies? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, unless it's a dog and pony show meant to appeal to some subcreature.

It's been less than a hundred years since we learned that there are galaxies beyond the Milky Way. What could be a creator's purpose in essentially choreographing such behavior? Why not just tell the Neolithic goat herders? Why even have Neolithic goat herders? Why not start a thousand years from now when we're trapesing around on other planets and perhaps visiting other star systems? Why watch your superstitious subcreatures roast goat flesh and mutilate their sex organs?

If super-spaceman is real, what's it trying to accomplish with all this?

At a glance, I'd say: because religion comes from the unorganized, delusion-prone area of the human brain, and science comes from the enforced organization of critical thinking.

I think its more due to religions need for explaining seemingly inconsistent events. From an uninformed view, things like droughts, violent storms, unseasonable heat or cold are the exception to the 'normal' situation. While an educated modern person knows that a certain number of unusual events is, in fact, usual, to a less detached and informed person, they may seem like capricious whims of some powerful being. To the unscientific, we DO live in a universe where random, unexplained things happen, and the 'rules' are frequently broken.

What is normal and stable to a scientist is different from what an illiterate peasant might think. They each have their own views on what the 'rules' and 'norms' are.

Suddenly I have an image of the universe as my garage... Full of half-finished projects, leftover bits, that thing no one in the house will admit to having brought home, the things damaged by fire which no one will admit to, the things I bought for projects I never even got half-started...

I can just imagine god as a hands-on kinda guy with infinite interests... And when his friends come over and say, 'So where's this planet of apes with free will you keep bragging about?' he WANTS to say it was on the workbench, just a while ago, but then there was that school science fair project that needed the room, so it may be over by the grill... Or above the freezer... Or maybe in the file cabinet that's rusted shut... It's here, somewhere, me dammit.

Lets face it, we live in a universe where there are predictable physical laws that govern its operation. From a religious perspective this is odd because everything we hear told about these supercreatures is unscientific, miracles and all that.

So do we have our creator information wrong? Are these creators themselves governed by physical laws that only appear without limit because of our inability to plumb their behavior? Are they just in more dimensions, perhaps, and therefore appear to us more powerful than ourselves?

And if not, why the change in modus operandi? Why make something entirely different than what you already have? What would be the reason for doing that? Why would you need a big bang and isotopes, and radiocarbon and genes and all that space between galaxies? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, unless it's a dog and pony show meant to appeal to some subcreature.

It's been less than a hundred years since we learned that there are galaxies beyond the Milky Way. What could be a creator's purpose in essentially choreographing such behavior? Why not just tell the Neolithic goat herders? Why even have Neolithic goat herders? Why not start a thousand years from now when we're trapesing around on other planets and perhaps visiting other star systems? Why watch your superstitious subcreatures roast goat flesh and mutilate their sex organs?

If super-spaceman is real, what's it trying to accomplish with all this?

This is exactly why one pope argued that scientific laws are an impossibility due to the omnipotence of God. He was killed by the law of gravity when a lightning strike caused a roof to fall on him.

Back
Top Bottom