• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why have I only now just heard of Solon?

A youtube comment about debt and bankers. He was mentioned as an example of what should be done.

I'm just pointing out that I learned about Solon in high school, and I am surprised that someone else didn't.

I didn't know about Solon or Draco until this thread. How many ancient Greeks can the average person name, anyway?

I didn't know about Solon or Draco until this thread. How many ancient Greeks can the average person name, anyway?
Probably a lot more than the "average person" would think but mostly the ancient Greek mathematicians, philosophers, and writers. They may be stumped if asked to list ancient Greeks they know about but would immediately recognize the name if it were mentioned. As an example: most "average people" wouldn't likely think of Aesop when asked to list ancient Greeks but would immediately recognize both the name and know that he wrote fables.

Probably a lot more than the "average person" would think but mostly the ancient Greek mathematicians, philosophers, and writers. They may be stumped if asked to list ancient Greeks they know about but would immediately recognize the name if it were mentioned. As an example: most "average people" wouldn't likely think of Aesop when asked to list ancient Greeks but would immediately recognize both the name and know that he wrote fables.

I know all about Draco; He was James Bond's father in law, and head of an international crime syndicate who uses his underworld pull to help Bond track down Blofeld in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

And Sean Connery also played James Bond. The circle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom