• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why I oppose e-Verify

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

We inadvertently created a set of jobs where there's an equivalent to the e-Verify system. We got the expected result--a lot of people working under stolen identities. We can't solve illegals working without solving identity theft.

We inadvertently created a set of jobs where there's an equivalent to the e-Verify system. We got the expected result--a lot of people working under stolen identities. We can't solve illegals working without solving identity theft.
You oppose e-Verify why?

The current weak system is not good enough, so you want to get rid of it?
How about bolster and strengthen it?

Wouldn't that be better than throwing up your hands and pretending that there's no solution?
Tom

Waitaminit ...

his wife, Kelly, hadn't paid about $10,000 in taxes on income from her work on DoorDash.

There was just one problem: Kelly has never worked for DoorDash — or any gig delivery service.

As the letter and their subsequent investigations showed, someone had used her Social Security number to earn about $21,000 through DoorDash over the course of 2022.
She must have had some very significant other income, to be paying over 47% in taxes. The top marginal rate for an individual is 37%...

Makes me suspect that the article is not quite on the level.

Waitaminit ...

his wife, Kelly, hadn't paid about $10,000 in taxes on income from her work on DoorDash.

There was just one problem: Kelly has never worked for DoorDash — or any gig delivery service.

As the letter and their subsequent investigations showed, someone had used her Social Security number to earn about $21,000 through DoorDash over the course of 2022.
She must have had some very significant other income, to be paying over 47% in taxes. The top marginal rate for an individual is 37%...

Assuming DoorDash reports the same way as Uber -- on a 1099 -- they won't have withheld Social Security or Medicare taxes. So the IRS bill would have included that.

Assuming DoorDash reports the same way as Uber -- on a 1099 -- they won't have withheld Social Security or Medicare taxes. So the IRS bill would have included that.
… and if she was already making over a half mil/yr she’d be in the 37% range, plus 7% or so … then penalties … maybe.
But even the IRS isn’t gonna believe such a person is delivering pizzas.

… and if she was already making over a half mil/yr she’d be in the 37% range, plus 7% or so … then penalties … maybe.
The IRS isn't paid to believe or disbelieve; it's paid to feed data into computers and follow up on discrepancies. When the computer hiccups they automatically send the taxpayer a bill, and if it's bogus then the taxpayer will push back. Eventually a human will think about a case, but what we're seeing in this thread hasn't got that far into the process. But that said...

It's not 7%; it's 15%. When your pay is reported by 1099 the payer doesn't just not withhold, but also doesn't send the IRS the employer's half of payroll taxes. The worker is considered self-employed and has to file a Schedule SE and pay both halves. So if she's paying 47% of her $21K, that means she's in the 32% bracket, not 37%. And as far as believability goes, keep in mind that according to the article she's a stay-at-home housewife, which means the income putting her in the 32% bracket is her husband's. So there's nothing out of the ordinary here -- the gig economy is overflowing with low-wage spouses of high-salary employees. My wife does gig work even though I'm paid enough we could easily get by without the extra she brings in.

The IRS isn't paid to believe or disbelieve; it's paid to feed data into computers and follow up on discrepancies.
The IRS is comprised of people, and they are paid to determine the truth of who owes what. You don’t really think they collected that 10k, do you? My accountant talked them out of fining me for an honest mistake one time. Had to pay the amount plus interest but they waived the penalty, determining it was a one-off oversight. If that lady had to pay, she needs a new accountant.

The IRS isn't paid to believe or disbelieve; it's paid to feed data into computers and follow up on discrepancies.
The IRS is comprised of people, and they are paid to determine the truth of who owes what. You don’t really think they collected that 10k, do you? My accountant talked them out of fining me for an honest mistake one time. Had to pay the amount plus interest but they waived the penalty, determining it was a one-off oversight. If that lady had to pay, she needs a new accountant.
Certainly. She didn't have to pay; the IRS determined it was identity theft and withdrew the charge. But that took them three months. They determine the truth of who owes what afterwards; it doesn't enter into the initial decision to send people bills. The IRS is by design a ready-fire-aim organization. (And assuming taxpayer error is far more common than identity theft, that's probably the most efficient way for it to operate.) The point is, I don't see any sign that the article is not quite on the level -- it would be surprising if incidents like this didn't occur from time to time.

You oppose e-Verify why?

The current weak system is not good enough, so you want to get rid of it?
How about bolster and strengthen it?

Wouldn't that be better than throwing up your hands and pretending that there's no solution?
Tom
The point is the current system doesn't stop them from working, it simply forces them to work under stolen identities. The "solution" adds to the problem.

Waitaminit ...

Quite possible. Since the article refers to his wife I'll figure they're married filing joint. That puts their household income somewhere between $364,201 and $462,500. Since it's self-employment work they owe the whole 15.3% FICA, for a marginal rate of slightly under 47.3%.

Only need 32% + FICA and no penalties to get the numbers involved.

And while a human agent would probably realize this is garbage the IRS doesn't have very many humans. The matching computer isn't going to realize such a person won't be delivering pizzas.

It's not 7%; it's 15%. When your pay is reported by 1099 the payer doesn't just not withhold, but also doesn't send the IRS the employer's half of payroll taxes. The worker is considered self-employed and has to file a Schedule SE and pay both halves. So if she's paying 47% of her $21K, that means she's in the 32% bracket, not 37%. And as far as believability goes, keep in mind that according to the article she's a stay-at-home housewife, which means the income putting her in the 32% bracket is her husband's. So there's nothing out of the ordinary here -- the gig economy is overflowing with low-wage spouses of high-salary employees. My wife does gig work even though I'm paid enough we could easily get by without the extra she brings in.
Didn't notice the stay-at-home part, yeah, it's not unreasonable for the IRS to think she might have been doing DoorDash.

Certainly. She didn't have to pay; the IRS determined it was identity theft and withdrew the charge. But that took them three months. They determine the truth of who owes what afterwards; it doesn't enter into the initial decision to send people bills. The IRS is by design a ready-fire-aim organization. (And assuming taxpayer error is far more common than identity theft, that's probably the most efficient way for it to operate.) The point is, I don't see any sign that the article is not quite on the level -- it would be surprising if incidents like this didn't occur from time to time.
My mother fell victim to this in the 80s--and the IRS wasn't nearly so reasonable. I went off to college before it was resolved and never learned how it turned out.

Back
Top Bottom