• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Americans have trouble admitting electoral failure?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I was pondering about one-term Presidents. The US doesn't have them too often. President Carter just was the right guy at the wrong time. President HW Bush was kicked out due to Clinton's hipness and a recession that had already exited. HW Bush is really the oddest bird as he had a successful military fight, but he would lose to Clinton (and arguably Perot) in part because of a recession that was over but not fully worked through yet. HW Bush would lose 9 million votes from his 1988 totals. Clinton did 3 million better than Dukakis and Perot got 20 million. So the total votes in '92 (55%) were about 13 million higher than '88 (50%). So is that it? Is that change enough? Probably not. Voter turnout was about 55% in '12 and '16. 58% in '08.

So come 2004 and Iraq isn't working well, the surplus is no where to be seen, and the W Admin's foreign policy plan is terrible. But he wins re-election. The GOP get trounced in 2006 though. Turnout increased from 51% to 56.7% between '00 and '04. Again 13 million more voters showed up to the polls to give their voice, but the outcome was even more in W's favor as he'd actually win the popular vote this time by 3 million.

Now we are at 2020 and Trump has waged the most ineffective Presidency since President Buchanan. The only accomplishments are judicial appointments that he has absolutely no involvement in. He is more interested in tossing red meat to his base and having re-election rallies than leading the country (no seriously, he filed for re-election campaign in January 2017 and his first re-election campaign was in February). But he did so well in so many states. While his victories in PA, MI, and WI were very thin (suspiciously thin in MI), he won states like Iowa and Ohio with very comfortable margins. So while it would be enough to take control back from the GOP by simply winning MI, WI, and PA, we've got states like NC, FL, OH, IA that were won by large enough margins,

I wonder whether enough Americans in those states are willing to concede they voted for the wrong guy, the very wrong guy. And whether enough other people can come and vote and overwhelm those that did.

I wonder whether enough Americans in those states are willing to concede they voted for the wrong guy, the very wrong guy. And whether enough other people can come and vote and overwhelm those that did.
Almost nobody voted for GWB twice, or so it seams...so no most all will not concede. Some very stubborn people still think we didn't loose the Vietnam war...

Ah, I think I sort of read the point in your last paragraph wrong. What I was trying to point out was that many will change their minds on which party candidate to vote for, w/o admitting they actually voted for Clownstick.

And more towards what your general point, the rest of the shift towards Biden will come from those who didn't bother to vote 4 years ago and who voted third party.

The True Trumpsters will not admit jack...much like the people who think we didn't loose Vietnam...

Ah, I think I sort of read the point in your last paragraph wrong. What I was trying to point out was that many will change their minds on which party candidate to vote for, w/o admitting they actually voted for Clownstick.

And more towards what your general point, the rest of the shift towards Biden will come from those who didn't bother to vote 4 years ago and who voted third party.

The True Trumpsters will not admit jack...much like the people who think we didn't loose Vietnam...
Or that Nixon was the victim of a political conspiracy. :)

I decided to check on the track records of Presidents and their elections
  • Elected for at least 2 terms: (17) GW, TJ, JM, JM, AJ, AL, USG, GC, WMC, WW, FDR, DDE, RN, RR, BC, GWB, BO
  • Elected for 1 term, lived whole term: (17) JA, JQA, MVB, JKP, FP, JB, RBH, JAG, BH, TR, WHT, CC, HH, HST, LBJ, JC, GHWB
  • Elected for 1 term, died before term end: (5) WHH, ZT, ZL, WGH, JFK
  • Succeeded a dead or resigned President, not elected: (5) JT, MF, AJ, CAA, GF
I'll now look at the more recent Presidents.
  • FDR: elected 4 terms, died in office
  • HST: succeeded FDR, elected for 1 term
  • DDE: elected 2 terms
  • JFK: elected 1 term, died in office
  • LBJ: succeeded JFK, elected for 1 term
  • RN: elected 2 terms
  • GF: succeeded RN
  • JC: elected 1 term
  • RR: elected 2 terms
  • GHWB: elected 1 term
  • BC: elected 2 terms
  • GWB: elected 2 terms
  • BO: elected 2 terms

Perot is much more to blame for Bush the elder than you give him credit for.

Not according to exit polls. Or do you have other evidence for this?
Another factor: (I don't know enough about the exit polls of the time) I doubt that HWB would have ever been president, but for being Reagan's VP. He just didn't have much charisma, kind of like Gore. Not that GWB was big on charisma, but I guess he had at least a little folksy charm. Why GWB won re-election still baffles me...

Perot is much more to blame for Bush the elder than you give him credit for.

Not according to exit polls. Or do you have other evidence for this?
Another factor: (I don't know enough about the exit polls of the time) I doubt that HWB would have ever been president, but for being Reagan's VP. He just didn't have much charisma, kind of like Gore. Not that GWB was big on charisma, but I guess he had at least a little folksy charm. Why GWB won re-election still baffles me...

I care about my friend Jason, and I'll try to save him some time! The exit polls of Perot voters showed them about 50-50 in their support for Bush vs Clinton. But the Perot voters greatly favored Bush in states that Bush would have won anyway: Texas a few other states in the south. Clinton won and would have won without Perot. Clinton won because he offered what most Americans want: social liberal, fiscal conservative, wanted larger safety net, wanted strong private sector, strong personal rights, and he had the ability to listen.

Throughout Trump's history in business, no one has done a deal with him twice. He fucks over everyone and no one will make that same mistake of doing a deal with him a second time. I suspect the term of his political career may work the same way

Back
Top Bottom