• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

You will expire.

A lot of people fall for the scam. Similar to religion and bowing to perceived authority. But is this anything new? Does anyone actually arbitrarily throw away food that's later than the expired date? If they do they're just not real smart.

Humans are wired to please, obey, etc. Those "corporate scammers" are people too and they're wired to take advantage of these behaviors.

Plus there are liability issues no doubt.

A lot of people fall for the scam. Similar to religion and bowing to perceived authority. But is this anything new? Does anyone actually arbitrarily throw away food that's later than the expired date? If they do they're just not real smart.

Humans are wired to please, obey, etc. Those "corporate scammers" are people too and they're wired to take advantage of these behaviors.

Not eating at your house, lol.

Best after date should be be the standard.but there is no standard .

I figure it is better safe than sorry. I'd rather not risk it. If the best before date has gone by I consider the product. If it is something like meat or milk, I do throw it out.

PS - Did you know there is a best before date on condoms? That one is particularly depressing when you find one of those has gone past date ;p

I had 10 dozen eggs that we could not sell.They were fine.Just boiled a bunch up.You can freeze them.

Last edited:
I had 10 dozen eggs that we could not sell.They were fine.Just boiled a bunch up.You can freeze them.

Eggs actually have an amazing shelf life so long as they aren't fertilized.

I'm thinking of a bunch of eggs stored on a seat in a truck for more than a month. One broke due to the rough road but that was it.

Some food like milk or meat has a limited freshness.But,most food does not.Chips after the date printed on the box or bag will not kill you.
http://www.stilltasty.com/articles/view/5
It is a corporate scam to get you to buy more.
Is there a standard rule?
But aren't a lot of products out there saying the stuff is good for a year or more, like soups? For me, chips go for the chip test. Is it crunchy and good? Then yes!

I'm thinking of a bunch of eggs stored on a seat in a truck for more than a month.
Not a bad start.

I think more of wax-dipped eggs stored in a bilge for a 90-day patrol. We always stopped eating eggs because we ran out, not because they went bad.

Of course, ONE goddamned egg was fertilized. Cook cracked that while i was cranking (Mess Crank, the Navy version of KP where Beetle Bailey used to peel all those potatoes) and dumped a dead, black, stinking bird into the trash i was compacting.

For the rest of my life, i expect, i will crack eggs into a prep bowl before pouring the yolk and white into a mix or batter, just in case... Haven't yet found so much as a red spot on the yolk, but i'm still looking for that dead chick...

What gets me is that water and pillows have expiration dates.. WTF??

Water: It's not perfectly sterilized.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking of a bunch of eggs stored on a seat in a truck for more than a month.
Not a bad start.

I think more of wax-dipped eggs stored in a bilge for a 90-day patrol. We always stopped eating eggs because we ran out, not because they went bad.

Of course, ONE goddamned egg was fertilized. Cook cracked that while i was cranking (Mess Crank, the Navy version of KP where Beetle Bailey used to peel all those potatoes) and dumped a dead, black, stinking bird into the trash i was compacting.

For the rest of my life, i expect, i will crack eggs into a prep bowl before pouring the yolk and white into a mix or batter, just in case... Haven't yet found so much as a red spot on the yolk, but i'm still looking for that dead chick...

These weren't prepped in any way, just the boxes from the supermarket put in a larger box and tied down. Good until they ran out, only the one cracked one was bad.

Watch the extremes on this philosophy. My parents got to an age where they did bulk buying and had OLD canned goods. Old to the point where you could taste the steel from the can. Old to the point where canned vegetables were mushy -- no, shaggy. Soup was all one vague, salty flavor (and with the tang of steel.) Cans that began to separate at the seam, so that the canned yams were leeching syrup. Fun times!! It was up to me to rummage through their cans every summer and quietly remove the ones that had rust specks on top or ancient labels (Belle Vernon sauerkraut, with a faded picture of a cabbage that wasn't green anymore. Blue cabbage.) They truly thought that canned goods were forever.
I have found that it takes me so long to use up a 4 lb. bag of flour that I keep it in the freezer. Otherwise it gets musty from the fermentation of the wheat germ in it (I think.)

For me, milk products past the use by date get the smell test, baked goods get a visual inspection for mold, as well as a quick feel to determine if they are stale. Chips and the like, I will usually try one first to see if it is stale, regardless of the date. Unopened bags of chips are almost always safe, no matter how long they have been sitting around, but I have a daughter who is incapable of rolling closed a bag of chips after eating from it, so I often end up with stale chips long before the due date.

I'm thinking of a bunch of eggs stored on a seat in a truck for more than a month. One broke due to the rough road but that was it.

OMG, you are not kidding.

I always like to have eggs in the house, though I don't eat them regularly. I, one time, decided I wanted eggs and bacon for dinner. Grabbed a few eggs from the carton, noticed they were a little small, yolk and white-wise, but no matter, cooked them up and ate them without issue.

I later checked the box and realized they had an expiration date of 8 months earlier.

Normally though, I'm a fanatic about expiration dates.

I've unwittingly eaten margarine that was past its sell by date only to hit an air bubble at the bottom of the plastic container that was full of green mold.

I keep bread in the refrigerator and it lasts for quite a while. Everything else gets tossed after its expiration date.

I've accidentally drank bad milk as well. Not doing that again.

OMG, you are not kidding.

I always like to have eggs in the house, though I don't eat them regularly. I, one time, decided I wanted eggs and bacon for dinner. Grabbed a few eggs from the carton, noticed they were a little small, yolk and white-wise, but no matter, cooked them up and ate them without issue.

I later checked the box and realized they had an expiration date of 8 months earlier.

Normally though, I'm a fanatic about expiration dates.

I've unwittingly eaten margarine that was past its sell by date only to hit an air bubble at the bottom of the plastic container that was full of green mold.

I keep bread in the refrigerator and it lasts for quite a while. Everything else gets tossed after its expiration date.

I've accidentally drank bad milk as well. Not doing that again.

Yeah, I'm not kidding about the eggs. They're normally sterile inside, no bacteria = no decay. We had no refrigeration, the drivers (who had done the trip several times already) knew they would last until eaten. Note that they only did this with eggs they knew would be unfertilized.

For me, milk products past the use by date get the smell test, baked goods get a visual inspection for mold, as well as a quick feel to determine if they are stale. Chips and the like, I will usually try one first to see if it is stale, regardless of the date. Unopened bags of chips are almost always safe, no matter how long they have been sitting around, but I have a daughter who is incapable of rolling closed a bag of chips after eating from it, so I often end up with stale chips long before the due date.
Right on. The smell test is always first and always right. If you have a bad sniffer then find someone who has a good sniffer.

I actually met a person who wouldn't eat pears from the tree in his yard because they were not sprayed!.

How sick is that?

I'm gonna bet he tosses everything months or years before the expiration date just to be safe.

Right on. The smell test is always first and always right. If you have a bad sniffer then find someone who has a good sniffer.

I actually met a person who wouldn't eat pears from the tree in his yard because they were not sprayed!.

How sick is that?

I'm gonna bet he tosses everything months or years before the expiration date just to be safe.

Even better, if it's meat: will a cat eat it?

If a cat won't eat it, it's definitely not good.

How sick is that?

Even better, if it's meat: will a cat eat it?

If a cat won't eat it, it's definitely not good.

Not necessarily true. How picky an eater is your cat?

Could stores sell out of date stuff at a discount if there was full disclosure ?
There are many things I would buy at a reduced price.

Back
Top Bottom