• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Your Favorite Charity

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Basic Beliefs
Probably in a simulation
Many people stay needlessly blind because they live in poverty. In developing countries, blindness denies people education, independence and the ability to work – things which can break the poverty cycle. But all this can be changed with as little as $25.

Cataract treatment
$25
In some developing countries, this is all it takes to restore someone’s sight and significantly change their future.

Eye technology
$100
With this money, up to 20 intraocular lenses can be manufactured and used in sight restoring operations.

Surgeon training
$88 /m
over 18 months
This covers the training of a much needed trachoma surgeon in Ethiopia – giving back sight to tens of thousands.

I have a few favorites, but number one on the list is the Bonobo Conservation Initiative. I spent my career providing care to humans, but when it comes to giving to charities, animal charities top my list. Bonobos are in danger of extinction, a heartbreaking thought to me. If only we humans were more like bonobos and less like chimps. ;)

https://www.bonobo.org/about-us

BCI’s guiding vision is the Bonobo Peace Forest, a connected network of community-managed reserves where both bonobos and their human neighbors can thrive. Our approach to conservation is fueled by the belief that local leadership is the path to effective and enduring conservation. Inspired by the collaborative and cooperative nature of bonobos, BCI developed the Bonobo Peace Forest concept in partnership with Congolese organizations and communities. The Peace Forest addresses conservation and humanitarian needs simultaneously. Local communities take the lead in conservation efforts and benefit from livelihood programs including healthcare, education, income opportunities, and more. Large areas of rainforest are shielded from logging, mining, and other threats, while bonobos can roam freely within a protected habitat corridor.

My wife regularly contributes to the Best Friends Animal Network. We also contribute to the St Jude Children's Research Hospital. My wife's younger sister dies of leukemia when my wife was in her early teens and it affected her greatly.

Back
Top Bottom