• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Your pro wrestling persona

Brian63

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker/atheist/humanist
If you could be a pro wrestler, what would you make as either your:

1. Ring name
2. Entrance theme
3. Signature move (its name and/or description)
4. Signature taunt (“Show it or shut it” is mine)
5. Other

1. Ring name: Mr Field
2. Entrance theme: Under Pressure by David Bowie and Queen
3. Signature move: "the Sternly-Worded Letter"
4. Signature taunt: "disappointing!"
5. Uniform: a standard pair of wrestling shorts printed with a pattern of alternating headshots of Kurtwood Smith and Michael Ironside.

It would be most fun to alternate between being a face and heel. Mostly though, I would want to be heel and antagonize the audience. I would emphasize how hard I worked to get everything I have, in contrast to them who are "Lucky Losers" (repeat that phrase over and over again).

Definitely a heel!

1. Ring name: The Liberal Genius (a derivative of Lanny Poffo's Genius). Go out to the ring, talk down to the crowd by explaining something important and serious.
2. Entrance theme: Harvard theme
3. Signature move (its name and/or description): Indoctrinator. A hurricane DDT from the third rope. (Man, I remember when a DDT used to be good for a pin. Now a DDT through a flaming table into a pit of snakes only gets you a two count.)
4. Signature taunt (“Show it or shut it” is mine): "I know better than you."

When it comes to signature moves, I doubt I could come up with anything even remotely more ridiculous or inspired than what current wrestlers do. For example, a few months ago the SCU introduced a move called "celebrity rehab". How can you compete with stuff like that?

As for a character in general, I'd be a heel with Rammstein's "Du Hast" as the entrance theme and with various german phrases and mannerisms for a gimmick.

1. Ring name
The Red September

2. Entrance theme
Yellow Submarine

3. Signature move
The Down Periscope: Sweep the legs, elbow the torso, face-plant

4. Signature taunt
Vaguely nautical jargon: Bollard duster! Triced-up mizzen scull! Sea witch's anchor polish!

I can't stand professional wrestling. I thinks it stupid, violent, and appeals only to base instincts. I'm out.

I can't stand professional wrestling. I thinks it stupid, violent, and appeals only to base instincts. I'm out.
It certainly isn't for everyone. It is nice that women's wrestling is actually quality and not exploitation, and I miss Bayley! In reality, good wrestling is Ballet with full body contact. Everything that is done out there is heavily coordinated and dangerous. All the falls and landings need to be symmetric and even. The amount of trust you have to have with your opponent is unreal. And the things bigger wrestlers can do today is absurd. They are putting forth aerial maneuvers only middleweights were doing 10 to 20 years ago.

The fact that it appeals only to base instincts while the athletes and audience all know that it is pretend/scripted is partly what makes it so entertaining. It can get away with all sorts of absurdities and over-the-top storylines, while still being funny to watch play out.

Also, it is enjoyable that certain people will go out and be willing to insult and provoke the audience at an extreme level---which is something you do not see pretty much anywhere else in culture. Pandering to the crowd is the usual in politics, real sports, comedy, entertainment, etc. Pro wrestling is a rare exception.

I actually dreamed up a pro wrestler at one point. This doesn't represent me, per se; it's the character I dreamed up.

1. Ring name: Axel Ferrara
2. Entrance theme: Axel F
3. Signature move The Faceplant: he stands behind people, trips then, and rides them to the canvas.
4. Signature taunt: in the dream, he had none. His catchphrase was "I didn't ask for your help."
5. Other: He's Argentinian by birth, is a heel, and his persona is that of being better than you.

Rob

The Rock was the best trash talker ever and got the audience roaring whenever he entered like nobody I have ever seen before or since. Does anyone remember though if he ever was a heel? I only remember him being face.

Back
Top Bottom