• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Your top 10 reasons for rejecting Christianity

1. It's old. There's no reason to cling to old stuff just for the sake of it. I think we can do better than that. I prefer religions that are more dynamic and open to change. I see a value in slow change, so the religious teachings don't hop onto every new trend and band wagon, but it's now 2000 years old. Time for an update.

2. I don't like monotheism. I think the obsession with just one god has a tendency to create simplistic and childish theology. Believers have a tendency to replace God with daddy and regress to children. I think paganism is an antidote to that. Paganism had pleanochos tropos (a multiplicity of explanations). It's less arrogant.

3. I don't like jealous monotheism. The intolerance of Christianity and insistance that it should be the only religion is stupid. I see no benefit with thinking like that.

4. The sex negativity. Oh, my God Christians are obsessed with sex. Martin Luther has some fun eye-rolling jabs at Jerome for this. If even Martin Luther thought early Christians were overly obsessed about sex, then perhaps they do.

5. The evangelising. A religion should teach humility. An evangelising religion is by definition arrogant, teaching it's followers they they have it all figured out. It's a toxic way of thinking. Religions should be open to people who wish to convert, but not try to convince anyone of anything. Otherwise all my cult alarmbells go off.

That's all I could think of. I personallly have no problem with the Biblical contradictions or logical inconsistencies. Religions are about managing feelings. They're not about facts.

Back
Top Bottom