• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

You're not irrational, just quantum-probabilistic

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
You're not irrational, you're just quantum probabilistic
Researchers explain human decision-making with physics theory

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/09/150914114639.htm

The next time someone accuses you of making an irrational decision, just explain that you're obeying the laws of quantum physics. A new trend taking shape in psychological science not only uses quantum physics to explain humans' (sometimes) paradoxical thinking, but may also help researchers resolve certain contradictions among the results of previous psychological studies.

You're not irrational, you're just quantum probabilistic
Researchers explain human decision-making with physics theory

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/09/150914114639.htm

The next time someone accuses you of making an irrational decision, just explain that you're obeying the laws of quantum physics. A new trend taking shape in psychological pseudoscience not only uses quantum physics to explain humans' (sometimes) paradoxical thinking, but may also help researchers resolve certain contradictions among the results of previous psychological studies.

fify

From the article...

"Whenever something comes up that isn't consistent with classical theories, we often label it as 'irrational.' But from the perspective of quantum cognition, some findings aren't irrational anymore. They're consistent with quantum theory--and with how people really behave."
That certainly is one alternative if they could actually show that it has anything whatsoever to do with QM. However, the more likely reason that things come up that aren't consistent with those theories is that those theories are spit balls thrown at a wall to see what sticks. They just have trouble admitting that it didn't stick until a different spitball replaces it and becomes the rage in a couple years.

ETA:
I think that those "researchers" have been listening to too much Deepak Chopra.

Lol, my decisions aren't irrational they just look that way because I'm choosing randomly!

I read the article and with all due respect to the original post, I'm not too clear on what it's trying to say.

Would be interested in reading the cited articles as they might make the idea a little more clear and useful, at least in a conceptual way, if not valid scientifically.

Eh, this is just poor science reporting, as is par for the course. They researchers are referring to a modelling framework, they aren't embracing the "quantum mind" hypothesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_cognition

Except the researchers themselves explicitly claimed that if they can model these decisions, it makes them no longer irrational, and that is utter nonsense. In the context of cognition, irrational does not mean unpredictable or inexplicable.

Here is a bullshit quote from the researcher.
"Whenever something comes up that isn't consistent with classical theories, we often label it as 'irrational.' But from the perspective of quantum cognition, some findings aren't irrational anymore. They're consistent with quantum theory--and with how people really behave."

At first I thought it was talking about QM and not just the math. However, I still think that the math is a hint that QM is at the bottom of the consciousness.

For anyone interested, read at least until page 7, http://www-physics.lbl.gov/~stapp/PTB6.pdf .

Ryan, you'd be better off with this:

Quantum Cognition: The possibility of processing with nuclear spins in the brain.
''The possibility that quantum processing with nuclear spins might be operative in the brain is proposed and then explored. Phosphorus is identified as the unique biological element with a nuclear spin that can serve as a qubit for such putative quantum processing - a neural qubit - while the phosphate ion is the only possible qubit-transporter. We identify the "Posner molecule", Ca9(PO4)6, as the unique molecule that can protect the neural qubits on very long times and thereby serve as a (working) quantum-memory. A central requirement for quantum-processing is quantum entanglement. It is argued that the enzyme catalyzed chemical reaction which breaks a pyrophosphate ion into two phosphate ions can quantum entangle pairs of qubits. Posner molecules, formed by binding such phosphate pairs with extracellular calcium ions, will inherit the nuclear spin entanglement. A mechanism for transporting Posner molecules into presynaptic neurons during a "kiss and run" exocytosis, which releases neurotransmitters into the synaptic cleft, is proposed. Quantum measurements can occur when a pair of Posner molecules chemically bind and subsequently melt, releasing a shower of intra-cellular calcium ions that can trigger further neurotransmitter release and enhance the probability of post-synaptic neuron firing. Multiple entangled Posner molecules, triggering non-local quantum correlations of neuron firing rates, would provide the key mechanism for neural quantum processing. Implications, both in vitro and in vivo, are briefly mentioned. ''

I wouldn't be surprised if quantum effects are used by the brain in some way...but even if this is the case, it falls far, far short of what you are proposing.

Back
Top Bottom