• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Zeptoseconds, anyone?

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Zeptoseconds: New world record in short time measurement

A zeptosecond is a trillionth of a billionth of a second ...

They measured how long it takes for a photon to cross a hydrogen molecule: about 247 zeptoseconds for the average bond length of the molecule. This is the shortest timespan that has been successfully measured to date.

Fascinating. One day we may actually understand the nature of space, time, motion, etc.

I've heard 'New York Minute' defined as 'the length of time between the light turning green and the car behind you honking'

So, now we have an official scientific name for that interval? [one zeptosecond] :D

I've heard 'New York Minute' defined as 'the length of time between the light turning green and the car behind you honking'

So, now we have an official scientific name for that interval? [one zeptosecond] :D

in my experience living in NY, the horn blows proactively a moment BEFORE the light changes... just to make sure you go IMMEDIATELY.

in my experience living in NY, the horn blows proactively a moment BEFORE the light changes... just to make sure you go IMMEDIATELY.

That is nuts! I ponder what the finite limit is, because ultimately the speed of light is the limit on the stop watch. We can only observe so quickly... without actually interfering with said mechanisms were are using to observe and what we are actually observing.

That is nuts! I ponder what the finite limit is, because ultimately the speed of light is the limit on the stop watch. We can only observe so quickly... without actually interfering with said mechanisms were are using to observe and what we are actually observing.
The time limit, Planck time, is 10-44 seconds using our current physics. This measurement was damned impressive with a resolution of only 10 -21 seconds (1023 Planck times).

But then there may be a new physics next week. :eek:

The time limit, Planck time, is 10-44 seconds using our current physics. This measurement was damned impressive with a resolution of only 10 -21 seconds (1023 Planck times).

But then there may be a new physics next week. :eek:

Plank Time is an interesting theoretical limit. It merely represents how long it takes the fasting thing we know (photons) to cross the shortest distance we can express (how far two "things" can be from each other before they are materially the same 'thing'). It is only a "limit" if your "stopwatch" is made of some-"thing". :)
Just need the right tool for the job.

But ya, totally an impressive resolution given our barely-better-than-flintknapped tools :)

Back
Top Bottom