• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

1000 Questions In Reasoning

I hate things like that, haha. There's always more than one valid answer, but one's gotta be "right" and the others "wrong", arbitrarily.

I hate things like that, haha. There's always more than one valid answer, but one's gotta be "right" and the others "wrong", arbitrarily.
For me, this mostly just applies to "next number in sequence" or "nth in sequence" type questions. "There is a function from the natural numbers to any countable sequence of numbers".

I see you didn't get past question1 either.
4 was the one where I started getting annoyed. How is observing that "three of the letters are horizontally symmetrical and the fourth is not" any more or less a reasonable obsevation than "the first three are in alphabetical sequence, but the fourth is not"? It seems more like a gotcha trick than a test of reason.

These kinds of reasoning problems can be frustrating because they generally do not map directly into Aristotelian logic and are not quantifiable.

You can't express it in a syllogism.

Like parterre recognition and what choice does not fit. They are IQ test kinds of questions.

MENSA used to have a free sample test, now you have to pay.

There is what they call a challenge.

I see you didn't get past question1 either.
4 was the one where I started getting annoyed. How is observing that "three of the letters are horizontally symmetrical and the fourth is not" any more or less a reasonable obsevation than "the first three are in alphabetical sequence, but the fourth is not"? It seems more like a gotcha trick than a test of reason.
It's not. It's more a test of "neurotypical thinking".

I recall many IQ tests from my school days in which (usually four) pictures or symbols are given, with the task being to find the "odd one out".

It's usually trivially easy to guess the questioner's intended answer; But it is rarely much more difficult to arrive at a reasonable and logical explanation for why ANY of the four should be the "correct" answer.

These puzzles test intelligence, but in the opposite sense to that imagined by their authors; An inability to argue convincingly for one or more of the "wrong" answers is a definite sign of low intelligence. And an inability to recognise that this form of question is deeply flawed, even more so.

These are a moderately stupid person's way to test for people who are unlike them.

Having established that the test subject is different, the important question not addressed is "did they give a 'wrong' answer because they are dumber than me, or because they are smarter?"

Back
Top Bottom