• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

Well, I wouldn't demand that someone do "x" in order to prove "y".

The question is God's existence, but God exists whether or not He chooses to do parlour tricks for random skeptic on the Internet.

Here, let me do the same thing.

Dear God, if you exist please knock over this glass of wine on my kitchen table.
(5 minutes later) Hey guess what everybody! God knocked over my wine glass. He really exists!!!!! WOW!!!!

Now, how can I prove that really happened?

No? Someone says that your wife has been unfaithful, you wouldn't ask them to produce pictures, tapes, motel receipts? SOMETHING to make the claim credible? Some reason to believe it's true?
The question is God's existence, but God exists whether or not He chooses to do parlour tricks for random skeptic on the Internet.
Says you. But why would I believe what you say?

Dear God, if you exist please knock over this glass of wine on my kitchen table.
(5 minutes later) Hey guess what everybody! God knocked over my wine glass. He really exists!!!!! WOW!!!!

So, you're at least AWARE that simple testimony from believers is not compelling evidence of the believer's claims.
So we remain skeptical of witnessing involving anonymous accounts of unknown validity.

So that's why the skeptic wants direct, eyewitness evidence of the various suggested skybeasts. It's no good for our purposes that you believe it to be true.
We can also explain your belief without having to add the existence of the supernatural.

We ask the occult beings to do something that can ONLY be explained by the occult, in front of us, where we can see it. Without that, we remain skeptical of claims like yours.

But you are skeptical. Skepticism is a natural (and likely necessary) human trait. Even wild animals exhibit skepticism in shying away from situations that could be life threatening until it is demonstrated that it is safe.

If someone claims that their neighbor, Fred, can walk on water, who would blindly accept it as fact without witnessing it? However, if an old text written by some unknown author claims that another person unknown to the reader can walk on water it is accepted as truth by some. Why?

Although Christians disparage skeptics, they themselves are skeptical of the claims made by other religions. Why? What is the differences that make one religion's claims believable to them but not the claims of other religions?

So, you're at least AWARE that simple testimony from believers is not compelling evidence of the believer's claims.

Yes of course. But don't you see the problem with Atheos' challenge? There's no way for Atheos to prove it if God actually DID what was demanded. Atheos could pass a lie detector test 100 times and the skeptics here wouldnt believe it happened simply on uncorroborated eye witness testimony. It's not all together clear if even Atheos would be convinced because there could be some other explanation.

Last edited:
...Although Christians disparage skeptics, they themselves are skeptical of the claims made by other religions. Why? What is the differences that make one religion's claims believable to them but not the claims of other religions?

I don't disparage skeptics. I disparage the sort of methodological skepticism which holds the default position that all supernatural claims are always the least plausible irrespective of all other considerations - background information, motive, probability, multiple attestation.

If you were to review my posts here and elsewhere you would know that I am not entirely skeptical of any/all other religious claims. For example, if Atheos (truthfully and sincerely and of sound mind) said that something like Zeus or Ganesh or Shiva appeared and answered the 3x4 card challenge I would be inclined to accept that some type of supernatural entity was involved rather than automatically presuming that nothing happened.

Yes of course. But don't you see the problem with Atheos' challenge? There's no way for Atheos to prove it if God actually DID what was demanded.
But that's not a problem. Atheos isn't asking for a miracle at HIS place to convince ME. Atheos is asking for evidence in order for ATHEOS to be convinced.
Atheos could pass a lie detector test 100 times and the skeptics here wouldnt believe it happened simply on uncorroborated eye witness testimony.
That's probably true... And?
Atheos finally has sufficient evidence to change from the atheist group to the believer group. Not necessarily to the prophet group.
It's not all together clear if even Atheos would be convinced because there could be some other explanation.
Then how would YOU construct the miracle, so that an occult event was the only possible explanation?

There is good reason to believe the Jesus miracle legend, but little or no reason to believe the other miracle legends.

You haven't addressed my question about these early believers. Why do they matter?

They are evidence that the Jesus miracles really happened, unlike other miracle legends for which there is not comparable evidence. I.e., in the other million or so miracle legends, no one took the trouble to record the events and copy them and publish them for future generations.

For the Jesus miracle legend we have the same kind of evidence that we have for our standard historical facts, unlike other miracle legends for which no record was left, or virtually none. So the wide circulation of these accounts, oral and written, among such a large number of believers is evidence that the miracle stories are really true. Just as our belief in standard historical facts is also based on this kind of evidence.

Do you think hordes of people went and investigated the Jesus miracles and that's why they believed?

They believed because the stories/reports were widely circulating, and there were many encounters with direct witnesses, or at least witnesses 2nd- or 3rd-removed. So in this case the claims were much more credible than other miracle claims which were not so widely circulated.

There was some investigation. What they did was much the same as with other historical events which we believe because they were widely circulated and so became published.

Because if they believed hearsay, then their number is completely irrelevant.

No, "hearsay" testimony is reliable for history. Virtually every historical fact you believe (at least before modern times) is based on hearsay only. You can't name any that's not based on hearsay. I.e., a writer wrote that it happened, so you believe it happened.

Also, you don't know if the Jesus myth happened instantly or not, . . .

And you don't know as an absolute certainty that Washington was the first U.S. President.

This is an historical fact just as certain as virtually all our historical facts. The time of the reported events is known (when they reportedly happened) and the date of the written accounts is known just as definitely as the dates of most other written accounts for history are known. It is a fact that the Jesus myth is an "instant" miracle myth in comparison to the other alleged miracle events, like that of the pagan heroes and the 1st-century Jesus parallels like Apollonius of Tyana etc.

. . . but if you thought it happened over a century, then you'd claim that's the ultimate sign of truth, that over a century nobody could debunk it or something;

No, it's not about any "ultimate sign of truth" or who "could debunk it or something" -- it's about the only miracle legend which cannot be explained as caused by a normal mythologizing pattern which we see in all the other miracle legends, with this one being the only exception. No one has explained how this one miracle legend, from about 30 AD, could have emerged as fictional, whereas all the other miracle legends as fictional can be explained as a product of normal mythologizing.

. . . that's how your special pleading looks like for the rest of us.

It is not "special pleading" to say one case differs from the others. It's not "special pleading" to point out that all the pagan miracle hero legends required many centuries to evolve whereas the Jesus legend emerged in less than 50 years, and that this time period was much shorter than for most historical events of the period.

You don't prove there's a flaw in the logic by just repeating the "special pleading" jargon.

You claim instantaneous mythologizing matters because your favorite story has it, not the other way around.

Whatever you're saying, my "instant mythologizing" argument is correct anyway.

I.e., it could be that I once believed the Jesus legend (and disbelieved all the others) but did not know what the good reasons were for believing. Then I checked into it and found there were some good reasons (like the "instant mythologizing" or "instant miracle legend" reason).

This is like someone believing the earth is round because he was taught this but not knowing the reasons for believing the earth is round. Then he learned what the reasons are and now knows the reasons. His original belief is not falsified simply because he did not know the reasons.

One's belief may be correct even though one does not know the good reasons for holding the belief. What matters is whether there are good reasons. If there are, then it's correct to believe it, even though there are some believers who believe it only because they were taught it and don't know the good reasons.

The one saying it's not true still has to look at the reasons for believing, regardless of the mental state of some believers who believe without knowing the good reasons. Like believing the earth is round without knowing the reasons for believing it.

The one saying it's not true still has to look at the reasons for believing, regardless of the mental state of some believers who believe without knowing the good reasons. Like believing the earth is round without knowing the reasons for believing it.
But, if one is pressed on the issue of a round earth, one can find the reasons that they were taught that. One can follow the trail to the objective evidence. And the story for how we know the earth to be an oblate spheroid doesn't change depending on the needs of the Round Earthist.
And the Round Earthist is not forced to dismiss all the evidence that other planets are round, too. The evidence that makes Round Earth a truism works just as well for the moon and Mars and Venus and Jupiter.

YOU have to work very, very hard to make sure that the evidence you'll allow for Jesus can't also be used to support the non-Jesus figures you don't want to believe in.

So it's not very comparable, is it?

Um...Atheos was the one demanding a desired effect
...or else!
Ah.
See, i was confused because you were replying to me. And i don't think Atheos mentioned quacks...
Well there are quarks in that piece of paper on Atheos' table ;)

If only he had asked Yahweh to flip a down quark up...

...Although Christians disparage skeptics, they themselves are skeptical of the claims made by other religions. Why? What is the differences that make one religion's claims believable to them but not the claims of other religions?

I don't disparage skeptics. I disparage the sort of methodological skepticism which holds the default position that all supernatural claims are always the least plausible irrespective of all other considerations - background information, motive, probability, multiple attestation.

If you were to review my posts here and elsewhere you would know that I am not entirely skeptical of any/all other religious claims. For example, if Atheos (truthfully and sincerely and of sound mind) said that something like Zeus or Ganesh or Shiva appeared and answered the 3x4 card challenge I would be inclined to accept that some type of supernatural entity was involved rather than automatically presuming that nothing happened.
Are you saying that you accept the Quran, Book of Mormon, the Vedas, the Avesta, the Edda, etc., etc. as equally valid and true as the Bible? If not, why not?

Last edited:

Yes of course. But don't you see the problem with Atheos' challenge? There's no way for Atheos to prove it if God actually DID what was demanded. Atheos could pass a lie detector test 100 times and the skeptics here wouldnt believe it happened simply on uncorroborated eye witness testimony. It's not all together clear if even Atheos would be convinced because there could be some other explanation.

I'll own up to every one of those critiques. Yes, I could be a liar. But that's just it, isn't it? Every one of the people involved in fabricating all these tales about every parlor trick from Moses's "Leprous hand in the tunic" trick to Gideon's "Wet Hankerchief" trick to Elijah's "Fire from Heaven to ignite the altar" trick to all the others could just as easily be pious frauds.

That's exactly my point.

You claim that you have an invisible friend who is the most powerful thing in the universe, yet your friend can't even flip over a simple index card or tell you what is written thereon.

I could claim that I can outrun Usain Bolt, but say "I don't have to prove it to you." It is exactly the same thing. Unless you've got evidence an incredible proposition is true I have every right (and I believe I have a duty) to be skeptical about it.

I've said it before and will say it again. Your god behaves in exactly the same way it would behave if it did not exist. Pray for something to your god or wish upon a star and you will get the exact same results. If you pray for something that has a 50/50 chance of happening it will happen 50% of the time. If you pray for a car to be miraculously levitated off a trapped victim so paramedics can offer life-saving treatment it's not going to happen. If you pray for a headache to go away it probably will.

Belief in a god such as this is supported by a combination of peer-affirmation, self delusion (closing your eyes and praying to it to convince yourself it exists), confirmation bias (counting the hits and ignoring the misses when it comes to things you perceive your god does) and trance-like hypnosis (sitting in an audience several times a week letting an unchallenged speaker brainwash you into continuing to believe). What is is not supported by is evidence.

Continue in your belief if it gives you peace and happiness. I'm not opposed in any way. But I will continue to laugh at these silly attempts to convince rational people that this invisible friend exists.

Well I guess if you want to lump everything into the same basket all equally deserving of skeptical disdain that's your business. I don't think calling God a 'quack' or likening Him to an Internet scam is gonna have the desired effect.

Until your imaginary friend is demonstrated to exist it is exactly like snake oil, get rich quick schemes, scams, con jobs and the like. You can demonstrate otherwise by praying for it to move a mountain like it promised it would if you asked, or you can just keep rationalizing. Your choice.

If earlier Christians hadn't claimed that your imaginary friend made that promise I'd let you off the hook. But a card laid is a card played where I come from. Remember, you are the one claiming your imaginary friend can do pretty much anything. Let's see it do something.

Or else what? I did not imply any threat. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

I thought your challenge was entirely about do this or else I won't believe.
So God and answers your challenge and gets no quid pro quo?

No, that's the point. Your god behaves exactly like it would if it didn't exist and I give it the same respect I give Santa Claus, Leprechauns, Dracula and Superman.

Again, at the risk of sounding like I'm taunting I'm simply stating the harsh reality of life. You claim that your god can do anything. Yet you cannot get it to do even the most trivial of things. Your claim is hollow and is reasonably categorized with other such claims.

...If you were to review my posts here and elsewhere you would know that I am not entirely skeptical of any/all other religious claims. For example, if Atheos (truthfully and sincerely and of sound mind) said that something like Zeus or Ganesh or Shiva appeared and answered the 3x4 card challenge I would be inclined to accept that some type of supernatural entity was involved rather than automatically presuming that nothing happened.

Are you saying that you accept the Quran, Book of Mormon, the Vedas, the Avesta, the Edda, etc., etc. as equally valid and true as the Bible? If not, why not?

No I'm not saying they are all equally 'valid'.

I'm saying that the quran and the book of mormon are both about the God of Abraham so to some extent they point to a higher truth even if only partially. (Even a broken clock tells the right time once a day - unintentionally)

4124173571_1b0ed73139_o.jpg

No I'm not saying they are all equally 'valid'.

I'm saying that the quran and the book of mormon are both about the God of Abraham so to some extent they point to a higher truth even if only partially. (Even a broken clock tells the right time once a day - unintentionally)

Assuming, just for the sake of argument, that this is the case, what makes you think that one of them isn't the accurate one and the Bible only partially points to a higher truth like a broken clock?

No, that's the point. Your god behaves exactly like it would if it didn't exist....

Yeah, oh well. So there's you on the one hand saying God doesn't exist based on your failed ultimatum experiment.

Then there's quite a lot more people saying the exact opposite - claiming that God HAS acted tangibly in their lives.

I wonder what that can possibly mean.

Back
Top Bottom