• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

How unusual. An apologist can't quite support his own claim, but the critics are welcome to do the spade work.

I can support my claim.

No, you can't.

But you can justify to yourself that your claim was not far from being true.

Sadly for you, some questions have right answers, and all other answers are wrong. 2+2=4.0001 is nearly right. It's also wrong.

I can support my claim.

No, you can't.
Actually, I kinda like his stance that there's no point in supporting his claim, because of how the atheists will react.
Makes me nostalgic for Self-Mutation's long, long, long reign of complete and utter self-serving bullshit.

"God performs miracles every day, they're just called 'remission' by cancer doctors."
and
"The atheists are why God won't perform miracles any more. They'd pretend there's a scientific answer."

I think - when asked if he had changed his mind about the afterlife - his exact words were "I like surprises." Pretty sure it was 60 Minutes.

'“I ought never to say there’s nothing that will change my mind, so, shall I just say that no evidence has yet been presented that would change my mind…but I like surprises!”

When skeptics say stuff like ...citation or it never happened, rather than running off to play Google bus-boy for them, ...

WHAT???

YOU made a claim. They are your dirty dishes; ONLY you are responsible for providing evidence.

Asking someone to back up THEIR claims with evidence is not unreasonable in the slightest. Asking someone to back up YOUR claims by finding evidence; or asking them to find evidence to refute your claims (with the implication that failure to do so means that they must accept your claims) is completely unreasonable.

Your objection here is akin to that of a petulant teenager who is disgusted to find that other people expect him to tidy up his own mess.

I think - when asked if he had changed his mind about the afterlife - his exact words were "I like surprises." Pretty sure it was 60 Minutes.

'“I ought never to say there’s nothing that will change my mind, so, shall I just say that no evidence has yet been presented that would change my mind…but I like surprises!”

When skeptics say stuff like ...citation or it never happened, rather than running off to play Google bus-boy for them, my first inclination is to ask what difference will that make. Mr Hitchens DID say what I claimed he said. And his answer was in response to the proposition that the afterlife might exist. And a citation or link doesn't prove or disprove that it happened. All that results is folks going into spin mode.

...oh, that doesn't mean he would like to be surprised.
...oh well he was probably just drug affected.
...oh he was just being a good open-minded skeptic as usual.
So if I posted that a while ago you agreed that all this belief in god and Jesus was bullshit then I shouldn't be expected to support it because it would be up to you to do the Google bus-boy work to show I was wrong????

When skeptics say stuff like ...citation or it never happened, rather than running off to play Google bus-boy for them, my first inclination is to ask what difference will that make. Mr Hitchens DID say what I claimed he said. And his answer was in response to the proposition that the afterlife might exist. And a citation or link doesn't prove or disprove that it happened. All that results is folks going into spin mode.

...oh, that doesn't mean he would like to be surprised.
...oh well he was probably just drug affected.
...oh he was just being a good open-minded skeptic as usual.
(my bolding)

OK, first of all, it wasn't, as you said, a question about the afterlife. It was a question about the existence of a god. So while he said what you claimed, it wasn't in response to the question you claimed.

Secondly, it wasn't, as you claimed, that he had "apparently softened". It wasn't even that he was "just being a good open-minded skeptic as usual", although that would seem to be part of it. You won't get this from the bare print version abbadon posted, but if you see the video of the interview (which I now have), the smile on his face when he says it will swiftly disabuse you of that notion.

Far from expecting you to "play Google bus-boy", I expect you to provide some kind of support for your claims, and not leave the legwork to those who don't take them at face value. That way, you won't need to have people asking for the citations or links that you, as the one making the claim, should be providing in the first place. Also, if you check things beforehand, you might be able to make a more accurate claim.

OK, first of all, it wasn't, as you said, a question about the afterlife. It was a question about the existence of a god. So while he said what you claimed, it wasn't in response to the question you claimed.
Of course, it must be said that there MIGHT be a Hitchens comment about the afterlife which includes a reference to his liking surprises. But if Lion is going to leave the research to other people, then they might not find the quote he's actually thinking of.

It really is up to Lion to support Lion's claim for this exact reason. We can find similar quotes, but only Lion can be sure if he's found the one he's thinking of.

The full quote:

“Is there anything that could change your mind, in your weakened state?” “Well, I ought never to say there’s nothing would change my mind,” Hitchens answered. “So, shall I just say that no evidence has or argument has yet been presented that would change my mind, but I like surprises.”

The full quote:

“Is there anything that could change your mind, in your weakened state?” “Well, I ought never to say there’s nothing would change my mind,” Hitchens answered. “So, shall I just say that no evidence has or argument has yet been presented that would change my mind, but I like surprises.”

Anybody who wants to know Hitchen's opinion about religion when he was not on his deathbed should read his book God Is Not Great, or listen to this video where he explains why he doesn't like the Catholic Church.

...So if I posted that a while ago you agreed that all this belief in god and Jesus was bullshit then I shouldn't be expected to support it because it would be up to you to do the Google bus-boy work to show I was wrong????

Nope. I would just restate my position and say you are wrong.
If others wanted to find out the truth they can.

...OK, first of all, it wasn't, as you said, a question about the afterlife. It was a question about the existence of a god.

It most certainly was about God. When an atheist thinks of the afterlife WITHOUT connotations of heaven/hell, supernatural events, Higher Beings, then you can start getting all precious about the fine distinction between God and life after death.

...So while he said what you claimed, it wasn't in response to the question you claimed.

Yes it was. (Hey, waddya know. That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.)

...Secondly, it wasn't, as you claimed, that he had "apparently softened".

I expect you can prove your opinion is truer than my opinion?
Can you also prove that chocolate ice cream tastes better than vanilla?

... It wasn't even that he was "just being a good open-minded skeptic as usual", although that would seem to be part of it.

Yeah...just as I predicted. Straw clutching. Spin doctoring. Anything to deny Hitchens his prerogative to seek God at the very time when God so wishes we turn back to Him.
What's it to you if Hitch converted? Mind your our business!

...You won't get this from the bare print version abbadon posted, but if you see the video of the interview (which I now have), the smile on his face when he says it will swiftly disabuse you of that notion.

LOL. A smile.
That's your idea of proof?
In many cultures a smile is how you camouflage what you're really thinking.

...Far from expecting you to "play Google bus-boy", I expect you to provide some kind of support for your claims, and not leave the legwork to those who don't take them at face value.

I don't drop everything and provide citations for stuff I think is true.
If you want to contest my opinions - knock yourself out.

...That way, you won't need to have people asking for the citations or links that you, as the one making the claim, should be providing in the first place. Also, if you check things beforehand, you might be able to make a more accurate claim.

You greatly overestimate my care factor in respect to whether or not you believe me. I think Hitch was desperately reaching out to the great unknown in his last months, weeks, days. And I find it profoundly touching that he was reading about the life of GK Chesterton in last remaining days.

I said I thought it was 60 Minutes - that was true. I did think that.
Moreover, the interview WAS on on 60 Minutes.

I said I think his exact words were "I like surprises." That was true. I did think that. Moreover, the exact words WERE "I like surprises."

It most certainly was about God. When an atheist thinks of the afterlife WITHOUT connotations of heaven/hell, supernatural events, Higher Beings, then you can start getting all precious about the fine distinction between God and life after death.
It's not all that 'fine' a distinction. But you are making an erroneous assumption.

I believe in ghosts and reincarnation, because of certain experiences I've had, not something I can objectively prove to someone else.
I still find no reason to think there's any deity in charge of the whole thing. So, lacking a belief in a deity, I am an atheist.
Who believes in an afterlife.
So you can stop sneering about the distinction. There is one and you just flaunt your bias when you ignore it.

I think Hitch was desperately reaching out to the great unknown in his last months, weeks, days.
Well, that's great. Clearly it's an invention of your very own, but glad you find something happy about this fantasy.
And I find it profoundly touching that he was reading about the life of GK Chesterton in last remaining days.
You do know that he was writing a book of his own, too, at the end, right? He may have been looking at Chesterton for source material, or maybe a chapter on why Chesterton was wrong. It's hard to know, really.
But if you're comfortable with yet another fantasy about Hitchens' final hours, more power to you. Just be sure to wipe your hands off before typing anything else.

WHAT???

YOU made a claim. They are your dirty dishes; ONLY you are responsible for providing evidence.

If I feel like it right? You mean, I'm only responsible IF I feel like it. If I don't feel like wasting my time running around gathering citations for people who won't look at them or agree with me about what those citations 'prove' then I'm free to ignore haughty demands for a citation....if I don't feel like it!

...Asking someone to back up THEIR claims with evidence is not unreasonable in the slightest. Asking someone to back up YOUR claims by finding evidence; or asking them to find evidence to refute your claims (with the implication that failure to do so means that they must accept your claims) is completely unreasonable.

Did I ask anyone to provide citations for MY claim?
Nope. I couldn't care less if people do or don't run off wanting to prove/disprove my opinions or beliefs or fact claims.
And if I really want to, I do actually know how to back up my claims.

Your objection here is akin to that of a petulant teenager who is disgusted to find that other people expect him to tidy up his own mess.

You're sounding a bit petulant yourself trying to hector me into some...yes sir, no sir, three bags full, obsequious compliance to the atheist overlords here at TFF. Meh!
I'm an autonomous free thinker who thinks what I want and says what I think. Wait! Did I just krip that slogan from Freethought Forum? That was a great chat venue. I had some nice chess games there :)

If I feel like it right? You mean, I'm only responsible IF I feel like it. If I don't feel like wasting my time running around gathering citations for people who won't look at them or agree with me about what those citations 'prove' then I'm free to ignore haughty demands for a citation....if I don't feel like it!
Well, you can take the actions you desire, though the responsibility for supporting your claim remains your responsibility. IIRC, supporting your own claims is an expectation of the board's rules that you agreed to.
And if I really want to, I do actually know how to back up my claims.
Oh, sure. Sure you could. If you wanted. Everyone believes you on that score.
You're sounding a bit petulant yourself trying to hector me into some...yes sir, no sir, three bags full, obsequious compliance to the atheist overlords here at TFF.
Again, I believe the rules say something about evidencing your claims. You might look into that. You agreed to the rules when you logged on here, right?

WOW - you mean I might get an infraction for having an opinion?

Using the term "teh rulez" triggers me. Please be more considerate in future.

WOW - you mean I might get an infraction for having an opinion?
No, not at all.
You might just be seen as having absolutely no point to contribute to a discussion EXCEPT an unsupported opinion.

Meaning, you'll be matching our expectations of internet apologist trolls rather nicely.

There you go again, bringing the afterlife into it ... because it's you that's doing that. There is no mention of the afterlife in either the question or the answer.
...So while he said what you claimed, it wasn't in response to the question you claimed.

Yes it was. (Hey, waddya know. That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.)
Evidence? here's your evidence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMdRiLVmbco
No mention of the afterlife. The question is about the existence of a god, nothing more, nothing less.

...Secondly, it wasn't, as you claimed, that he had "apparently softened".

I expect you can prove your opinion is truer than my opinion?
Can you also prove that chocolate ice cream tastes better than vanilla?
I can go by what I see and hear, for a start. Watch the video, then come back and claim Hitchens was sincere about the "surprises". You'd have to be very, very bad at reading facial expressions, tone of voice, etc., to watch it and come out the other end telling anybody he had softened towards the idea of a god.
BTW, chocolate ice cream is an abomination. Give me vanilla every time.

... It wasn't even that he was "just being a good open-minded skeptic as usual", although that would seem to be part of it.

Yeah...just as I predicted. Straw clutching. Spin doctoring. Anything to deny Hitchens his prerogative to seek God at the very time when God so wishes we turn back to Him.
So you know what "God" wishes now? You must feel very privileged, having that communicated to you, when nobody else has heard from him. And what you call "straw clutching" and "spin doctoring" is simply my reasonable, and reasoned, interpretation of what is in the interview. If there's any straw clutching or spin doctoring happening here, it's from those who seek to claim, on the basis of a throwaway line, that Hitchens turned over his long-held opinions to join their "side".

What's it to you if Hitch converted? Mind your our business!
I can ask the same question: what's it to you? Why do you feel the need to claim Hitchens "converted", especially when it's manifestly not true? And why does this happen so often when an atheist/agnostic/skeptic dies? It's no wonder the phrase "Liars for Jesus" has entered the lexicon.

...You won't get this from the bare print version abbadon posted, but if you see the video of the interview (which I now have), the smile on his face when he says it will swiftly disabuse you of that notion.

LOL. A smile.
That's your idea of proof?
In many cultures a smile is how you camouflage what you're really thinking.
And in the culture Hitchens lived in, a sardonic smile such as he gave is an indication that the accompanying remarks are not to be taken too seriously.

...Far from expecting you to "play Google bus-boy", I expect you to provide some kind of support for your claims, and not leave the legwork to those who don't take them at face value.

I don't drop everything and provide citations for stuff I think is true.
If you want to contest my opinions - knock yourself out.
If you want to present your opinions as fact, you'd better be prepared to have them challenged. And if you want to be prepared for that, the best way is to back them up with some evidence, not to leave that task to those who challenge your opinions. As you yourself quoted "that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

...That way, you won't need to have people asking for the citations or links that you, as the one making the claim, should be providing in the first place. Also, if you check things beforehand, you might be able to make a more accurate claim.

You greatly overestimate my care factor in respect to whether or not you believe me. I think Hitch was desperately reaching out to the great unknown in his last months, weeks, days. And I find it profoundly touching that he was reading about the life of GK Chesterton in last remaining days.
And I think you're full of shit. I also think you're fulfilling a "prophecy" of Hitchens, when he said that there would be Xian vultures hanging round his deathbed to pick up on any seemingly ambiguous remark to falsely claim he's converted. Hitchens a prophet ... who'd have thunk it?

I said I thought it was 60 Minutes - that was true. I did think that.
Moreover, the interview WAS on on 60 Minutes.
Whoop-de-doo! You got one bit right.

I said I think his exact words were "I like surprises." That was true. I did think that. Moreover, the exact words WERE "I like surprises."
Oh, my. You got two bits right. Pity You didn't pick up on any of the nuances involved- facial expression, tone of voice, body language, etc - and realise that, far from "softening his stance", Hitchens was gently mocking the idea he'd have a deathbed conversion.

Not that I wish him dead, but in a way, I can't wait till Richard Dawkins dies, to see this bullshit happening all over again. The Liars for Jesus will once more descend on his deathbed, picking apart every word he ever said, in order to claim him as "one of their own". Lying for Jesus ... it's a great Xian tradition, started by Paul ...

Romans 3.7 said:
"For if the truth of God hath more abounded by my lie unto his glory, why yet am I also adjudged a sinner?"

Did Hitch say that he would like to be surprised? (To discover that death is not the end.)

Did Hitch say that he would like to be surprised? (To discover that death is not the end.)

Voiceover: But he is placing his faith in science and medicine, not in the existence of a god.
Interviewer: Is there anything that could change your mind? In your weakened state?

So no, it wasn't anything to do with "discover(ing) that death is not the end". You might think that's nitpicking, but it's an importamt distinction, IMHO. And I reiterate: the lack of sincerity is there for all to see; you'd have to be extremely autistic not to pick up on it and to imagine he really thought there was any possibility he'd be "surprised".

I wish every doubting skeptic here could feel what Saul/Paul did - the peace that surpasses all understanding.
It really does set you free.

Back
Top Bottom