• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

"See how We prefer one above another [in this world] and verily, the Hereafter will be greater in degrees and greater in preference." [Al-Isra 17:21]

A young boy died and found himself in paradise, but also found he had little status in paradise.

"Oh, Allah!" he said. Why are those prefered over me? And Allah answered. "Because they lived long lives full of faith and good works. But had you lived, you would have become a sinner."

And voices arose from Hell, "Oh Allah! Why did you not let us die before we became sinners!"

Wait, wait, wait. Your analogy fails.
God doesn't send babies to hell.
God saves all babies. Why? Because they don't/can't decide stuff like wilful rejection of God.

...But you're still stuck on the whole "You have to WANT to be saved before God can be bothered to lift a finger to help you."

We're talking about babies here. They don't have to want to be saved.

Lifeguards save people from drowning, be they children or adults, even if they originally didn't want to be rescued, as Richard Carrier's story illustrated. And a loving deity would be even more motivated to save us, young or old.quote]

Lifeguards (generally) don't exercise any discretion. They don't 'decide' who to save. They will (robotically) save you with or without your consent because that's the default setting for being a lifeguard. That doesn't make them more loving. An iron lung is a machine which keeps you alive against your will and it's no more loving than a euthanasia device.

...If God truly has all the facts and we do not (as Christians are quick to assure us) then he would not hold our ignorance against us when it comes to our eternal destiny.

I fully agree. And God DOES have all the facts. You can't pretend to be ignorant. God knows the difference between wilful ignorance and actual sincere ignorance.

The fool in his heart says there is no God. That's not ignorance, that's a fact claim.

...If God truly loves Christopher Hitchens, then he saved Hitch from eternal damnation, regardless of what opinions and beliefs the man held during his brief time on Earth.

If those "beliefs and opinions" were, as Hitchens' brother Peter puts it, a rage against God then it's hard to see what more God should do. should God force people to have predetermined "beliefs and opinions"?

Besides, what makes you think Christophen Hitchens didn't change his "beliefs and opinions" as he neared the end?

...The calendar age of a person is irrelevant to the argument.

Oh? You think children can give informed consent? :eek:

You think a healthy, sane adult can plead the defense of temporary insanity even if it was a premeditated crime committed with malice a forethought?

Romans 8:29 - For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

So do dead children destined to be "vesseles of dishonor" go to hell?

I don't think children are vessels of dishonor or predestined to hell. And I don't think the bible says such.

Lifeguards (generally) don't exercise any discretion. They don't 'decide' who to save. They will (robotically) save you with or without your consent because that's the default setting for being a lifeguard. That doesn't make them more loving. An iron lung is a machine which keeps you alive against your will and it's no more loving than a euthanasia device.

WTF? Lifeguards are robots now? No more "loving" than an iron lung? :confused:

The fool in his heart says there is no God. That's not ignorance, that's a fact claim.

:rolleyes: No, it's not a fact claim. It's more of a knowledge claim, and the knowledge it claims is knowledge the claimant doesn't have. And it's not ignorance, it's arrogance.

If those "beliefs and opinions" were, as Hitchens' brother Peter puts it, a rage against God then it's hard to see what more God should do. should God force people to have predetermined "beliefs and opinions"?

Besides, what makes you think Christophen Hitchens didn't change his "beliefs and opinions" as he neared the end?

Only his whole life and just about every statement he ever made. But we've been through this already, where you tried to shoehorn a flippant remark of Hitchens into a deathbed conversion claim. Sad to see you still cling on to that dishonesty.

...But you're still stuck on the whole "You have to WANT to be saved before God can be bothered to lift a finger to help you."

We're talking about babies here. They don't have to want to be saved.

You brought up the subject of babies, in response to my assertion that a loving God would want to save people. I used the example of a Mother rescuing a toddler simply because it's a simple analogy of a parent overcoming the will of her child. A loving Mother would not want her grown son to run into traffic either, but she might not be strong enough to snatch him out of harm's way. That shouldn't be a problem for an omnipotent God.

Lifeguards save people from drowning, be they children or adults, even if they originally didn't want to be rescued, as Richard Carrier's story illustrated. And a loving deity would be even more motivated to save us, young or old.quote]

Lifeguards (generally) don't exercise any discretion. They don't 'decide' who to save. They will (robotically) save you with or without your consent because that's the default setting for being a lifeguard.

Great point! A lifeguard saves people regardless of how much she loves them. Therefore God should be even more motivated to save everyone since he loves us all, or so the Christian tells us.

...If God truly has all the facts and we do not (as Christians are quick to assure us) then he would not hold our ignorance against us when it comes to our eternal destiny.

I fully agree. And God DOES have all the facts. You can't pretend to be ignorant. God knows the difference between wilful ignorance and actual sincere ignorance.

Did you read the two paragraphs I quoted from Richard Carrier? The woman on the capsized boat wanted to drown herself because she thought she had nothing left to live for, but her rescuer refused to accept that instance of willful ignorance and saved her. Later, when it turned out that one of her children had also been rescued, the woman saw that she was wrong. She thanked the rescuer for not letting her have her own way.

If the Christian is correct, and eternal life with God is better than eternal damnation, and if God saved the atheist against his will, then the atheist would also thank God for saving him.

A lot of atheists claim that eternal life, as it is portrayed in the Bible, might not be preferable to oblivion, but then we have not assurance that the Biblical writers accurately portrayed it. It could indeed be better than we can imagine. At any rate, it's bound to be better than eternal damnation.

Well, I can't speak for others, but I don't claim that there is no God. I simply don't believe that he exists. I could be wrong, of course, because the evidence that has been presented so far is rather thin. But if better evidence comes along, I'll happily change my opinion.

Now if God wants to hold that against me, well there's little I can do about that. But if I'm then to suffer eternal damnation for that, well then I would be proven correct that God is not a benevolent deity.

...If God truly loves Christopher Hitchens, then he saved Hitch from eternal damnation, regardless of what opinions and beliefs the man held during his brief time on Earth.

It's not hard for me to see. A loving God would save a person, regardless of that person's feelings toward him. A loving God would sit down with Christopher Hitchens and hash out where the rage came from (assuming we can trust the word of brother Peter.) The Christian tells us that God gave up his life to save Hitch; why would a little one-on-one face time to answer questions be so awful?

Back to the rescuer story. Suppose the rescuer knew that one of the woman's daughters had been saved and would be needing her mother. Don't you think that the rescuer would have told the mother that as she was struggling to drown herself? That is, if the rescuer had superior knowledge about the situation, and was able to enlighten the mother about it, wouldn't that have changed the mother's response? Would she have struggled to end her life if she learned that she did indeed have something to live for?

Maybe he did, but there's no evidence of it, and Hitch even warned us that people would suggest that very thing. But we're talking about what God would do, not Hitch.

You think a healthy, sane adult can plead the defense of temporary insanity even if it was a premeditated crime committed with malice a forethought?

Again, you're stuck on the the idea that we have to want to be saved. That speaks to a fairness issue that seems to be ingrained in human nature. "Why should he get into Heaven when I was a good believer all my life?" Jesus gave a parable about some workers that grumbled about being paid a day's wage for a day's work, but others only worked an hour for the same wage. Do you recall what Jesus' response to the claims of unfairness was?

Bottom line: if God loves everyone, then he would save everyone, regardless of our thoughts and attitudes during the eyeblink of time that we live on Earth. That he doesn't seem to save everyone (according to the Christian) is a mark against Christianity.

How conveniently the atheist argues that God should let them do whatever they wish and yet still guarantee their eternal happiness.

Natural selection punishes wilful ignorance and laziness and defiance of Mother Nature.

But you expect God to turn a blind eye.

How conveniently the atheist argues that God should let them do whatever they wish and yet still guarantee their eternal happiness.

Damn, you sure know some weird atheists. I've never met an atheist who argued that any gods should do anything to or for them.

Natural selection punishes wilful ignorance and laziness and defiance of Mother Nature.

I wouldn't expect your god to turn an eye, blind or otherwise. There is no evidence of a disembodied supernatural being that has eyes.
hqdefault.jpg
God? :p
And if there was such a critter, why would it be concerned at all, since according to you, natural selection "punishes wilful ignorance and laziness and defiance".

Who is that?

You don't recognize? You're DOOMED! It's a god. And it's angry. Don't ignore THAT.

Maybe you can give us some reason why we should be more afraid of one god's anger than that of another god? They're all supported by EXACTLY the same stuff.

I don't know who that statue is supposed to be. Sorry.
Feel free to evangelize me on its behalf if you want.

I don't know any atheist who claims god guarantees eternal happiness. If we believed that, we wouldn't be atheists. Incidentally, eternal happiness sounds to me like a waste of time ... an awful lot of time. "Eternal" means without end, and that's exactly how I see the heaven that theists propose ... no end, no purpose, no objective. It's funny how theists often argue that life without belief is purposeless, yet they propose an eternity of afterlife that seems as empty of purpose as it could possibly be.

Bad news for you: there's no such thing as Mother Nature either. Nature itself doesn't punish, it only provides consequences for actions. It can't punish, as punishment implies involvement of a person. Nature is not a person.

Unlike nature, theists claim god is a person. And, again unlike nature, they claim he loves us. Nobody claims nature loves us, so we wouldn't expect nature to keep us from harm. An all-loving, all-powerful, all-knowing being, OTOH ... well, why wouldn't you expect that to keep you safe, if such a thing existed?

I don't think children are vessels of dishonor or predestined to hell. And I don't think the bible says such.

Yes it does. The bible clearly states it;

“Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,” - Romans 9:21-23

“Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,” - Romans 9:21-23

Theists tell us atheists that without God, there can't be any meaning to life. But a God that arbitrarily makes some elect and not others for no reason is about as meaningless as it gets.

Does God like making people writhe in eternal torment in hell?

You call THAT a clear statement that God creates evil, hell-bound babies?

...Theists tell us atheists that without God, there can't be any meaning to life.

Theists who think that are mistaken. Obviously a self-centred person can decide what they think the meaning of their life is and ignore the meaning of everything else. Tell them they were created by God and they are free to ask..."so what?"

...But a God that arbitrarily makes some elect and not others for no reason is about as meaningless as it gets.

No argument from me there.
Luckily it's not true.

...Does God like making people writhe in eternal torment in hell?

Is that one of those..."have you stopped beating your wife yet" questions?

I don't know any atheist who claims god guarantees eternal happiness.

Me either.
In fact even I don't think God guarantees eternal happiness. From the abundance of His Grace, He offers it. But we don't deserve it as a guaranteed entitlement.

...If we believed that, we wouldn't be atheists. Incidentally, eternal happiness sounds to me like a waste of time ... an awful lot of time. "Eternal" means without end, and that's exactly how I see the heaven that theists propose ... no end, no purpose, no objective.

Eternity is just a series of moments - each with its own meaning. The clock ticks away the seconds, minutes, hours and nobody declares how pointless the last hour was or how absurd it is to wind up the clocks spring mechanism over and over again. Talk is cheap for people who say they don't want to live forever. Ask them to designate on which day they want forever to end and the answer will always be 'tomorrow'. (Note that not wanting to live forever is a different proposition than not wanting to be in pain forever.)

...It's funny how theists often argue that life without belief is purposeless, yet they propose an eternity of afterlife that seems as empty of purpose as it could possibly be.

Interesting.
What if you were a scientist who loved discovering new things and you had an eternity of stuff to discover and learn.
I doubt Carl Sagan would get bored so easily in that other dimension of space/time called the afterlife.
Some say the Big Bang is/was a singularity. Well what if death is a singularity through which you pass into and even bigger, more meaningful existence than this one?
Did you expect to be born? No.
So what do you expect there to be after you die? Something equally unexpected?

Bad news for you: there's no such thing as Mother Nature either. Nature itself doesn't punish, it only provides consequences for actions. It can't punish, as punishment implies involvement of a person. Nature is not a person.

Hey, that's not fair.
I don't call atheists out when they inadvertently use vestiges of language that imply entity to natural events.
When I say natural selection punishes the week, the lazy, the stupid, the unlucky, I'm not forcing an interpretation of the word punishment which implies deliberation. And I don't think Mother Nature pushes around a great big pram with babies in it Move along. There's no gotcha moment here.

Back
Top Bottom