• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

I have to say that it looks like Lumen has us here with his latest posts.

In order to deny the validity of Jesus's miracles and not be hypocrites, we would also need to similarly deny the miracles performed by Mohammed (PBUH). I don't think that any of us are willing to do that and we need to backtrack on our claims that Jesus's miracles didn't happen.

In order to deny the validity of Jesus's miracles and not be hypocrites, we would also need to similarly deny the miracles performed by Mohammed (PBUH). I don't think that any of us are willing to do that and we need to backtrack on our claims that Jesus's miracles didn't happen.

Can we quibble, then, that Jesus' healing miracles are no more likely or supported thatn Mohammed's many miracles? Would that work? Then it looks like we're just waiting for anything at all resembling evidence, not just denying miracles willy and nilly.

Can we quibble, then, that Jesus' healing miracles are no more likely or supported thatn Mohammed's many miracles? Would that work? Then it looks like we're just waiting for anything at all resembling evidence, not just denying miracles willy and nilly.

I don't know if we want to go so far as requiring evidence for Mohammed's miracles as opposed to just accepting them out of the sheer terror of getting blown up or beheaded if we question them.* Given that this punishment will be inscribed in law throughout most of the Western world in the next decade, it's best that we get a jump on it now and don't have any sacriligious comments coming up on a google search done by agents of the Caliphate.

* This is assuming that Mohammed did some miracles. I don't know enough about the Koran to say one way or the other, but I have to figure that he pulled off at least a couple here and there.

I'm still waiting for any examples of miraculous historical claims that historians take seriously based on nothing but anonymous reports. To listen to Lumpenproletariat we'd have to discard nearly the entire historical record if we refused to believe extraordinary anonymous claims without corroboration.

punk biker preacher....

I'm still waiting for any examples of miraculous historical claims that historians take seriously based on nothing but anonymous reports. To listen to Lumpenproletariat we'd have to discard nearly the entire historical record if we refused to believe extraordinary anonymous claims without corroboration.

Miracle of multiple resurrections are in the Bentley :D
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/todd-bentley-claims-have-brought-35-people-back-dead
It turns out that these are just the latest in a long string of resurrections of the dead in Bentley's career, as he explained earlier this month at a different event that he has been responsible for no fewer than 35 such miracles over the years.

Miracle of multiple resurrections are in the Bentley :D
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/todd-bentley-claims-have-brought-35-people-back-dead
It turns out that these are just the latest in a long string of resurrections of the dead in Bentley's career, as he explained earlier this month at a different event that he has been responsible for no fewer than 35 such miracles over the years.
I would doubt that story but Jesus told us that nothing can be posted on the internet unless it is true.

Over the course of months and many hundreds of posts, Lumpy has never once provided a direct, honest response to any of the rebuttals posted to counter the ridiculous lies he keeps repeating over and over. It would be a miracle if he were to start behaving ethically now.

Over the course of months and many hundreds of posts, Lumpy has never once provided a direct, honest response to any of the rebuttals posted to counter the ridiculous lies he keeps repeating over and over. It would be a miracle if he were to start behaving ethically now.

Theists can't afford to consider alternative possibilities. Where would the trail of enquiry lead them if they did? How could they maintain their religious world view if they were willing to question the validity of their religious beliefs....

Lumpenproletariat's argument is a sinking ship with holes throughout the hull. His myopic treatment of each part of the argument is laughable, like a sailor sticking his hand over one hole and saying "See, the ship isn't sinking!" all while gallons of water pour in from the other holes.

He ignores that there have been literally dozens (perhaps hundreds) of hero-god myths laid out over the centuries, many of which predate his favorite one. "Ah, but this one doesn't include this detail, and that one doesn't follow that pattern." It's the big picture that damns his claim that somehow his story is unique. They're *all* unique in some way.

That was one of the main reasons I eventually lost my faith in Christianity. Why would the Christian god allow the Islamic religion to exist? Is this idea just there to test us?

An Omniscient God loves nothing more than to test His little creatures in order to know how they react, their characters, the stuff they are made of...

In my opinion, a god that is Omniscient and also loves us wouldn't have let the the crusades happen. In other words, this Omniscient god also wouldn't have let Muslims and Christians kill each other for so many years if it cared about us. If I was God, I would have got off my throne and came down to earth to help the human species stop killing each other.

How many people have died in wars about disagreements about the TRUE meaning of Christianity?

In my opinion, a god that is Omniscient and also loves us wouldn't have let the the crusades happen. In other words, this Omniscient god also wouldn't have let Muslims and Christians kill each other for so many years if it cared about us. If I was God, I would have got off my throne and came down to earth to help the human species stop killing each other.

How many people have died in wars about disagreements about the TRUE meaning of Christianity?

Mysterious ways? Mysterious ways is the Christian joker they can always pull.

In my opinion, a god that is Omniscient and also loves us wouldn't have let the the crusades happen.........
Ah, but what if this god is omniscient and an egomaniacal, sadistic bitch? You would still have to obey and offer praise or end up in hell.

Last edited:
In my opinion, a god that is Omniscient and also loves us wouldn't have let the the crusades happen.........
Ah, but what if this god is omniscient and an egomaniacal, sadistic bitch? You would still have to obey and offer praise or end up in hell.

I still sometimes lose sleep at night because of the thought that there might actually be a god so evil that it will actually torture people with fire for eternity. That's the most evil idea I've ever heard in my life. Fortunately all the contradictions in the Bible help me believe that it was just a bunch of superstitious men who created that book and this religion.

Christ-belief is not a "fallacy" or a quibble over semantics or an absolute certainty. It is a reasonable hope based on evidence.

I have been loosely reading lumpenprat's ravings...
anybody have a summary of the major fallacies that are being used?
He uses a lot of argument from incredulity and ignorance. His evidence for a claim is often 'What else could explain it?'

How is this a fallacy? Why is it not legitimate to argue that x would be the best explanation for y, and so since y is the case, x must have happened, because otherwise it is difficult to explain how y could have happened?

This requires showing that it's difficult to explain y without x having happened.

Though this isn't proof that x must be so, it's a strong case for it as long as y is true and needs an explanation and if x is the best explanation for it.

Some events or facts of the 1st century, mainly after 30 AD, are difficult to explain unless there was a person, the historical Jesus Christ, who had power, such as the kind we see presented in the reported miracle healing acts in the gospel accounts.

You need to explain why Jesus was mythologized into a god.

A new religion or cult formed which made him into a god, and there's no explanation why. He was gone in a short time before he had time to establish himself the way other hero figures or prophets became established, through gathering disciples over a long career of teaching and impressing hearers with his charisma and noteworthy deeds.

A normal, but not average, human can become mythologized into a god or mythic hero, but there have to be some facts about him which make this happen. It does not happen to someone whose career was less than 4 years or who did nothing noteworthy.

If Jesus did perform those miracle acts we read in the gospel accounts, this explains what was noteworthy about him that brought him to be mythologized into a god. But if those acts never happened, why was he mythologized into a god? You cannot dismiss this question. We have a ready obvious answer. Why isn't it a reasonable possibility if no one can come up with a credible alternative?

The clichè that people "make up shit" explains nothing. This kind of retort is just a way of acknowledging that we have no explanation. Of course there are cases where someone "makes up shit," but not without a reason or without there being a pattern that explains why they "make up" the shit. In the case of miracle hero myths, there is always something noteworthy about the one who is mythologized.

In some cases the hero was charismatic and greatly impressed his listeners or followers over a long career. One way or another he made an impact. In some cases he was truly strong or did something heroic, and this later became exaggerated, e.g., Hercules. But it required generations of story-telling plus something noteworthy at the beginning in order for this mythologizing process to get started.

If it's not the miracles of Jesus which explain how he became mythologized into a god, then what else could have caused this mythologizing? So far no one has offered any explanation other than the empty slogan that "people make up shit." With this universal refuter, you could dismiss virtually any fact of history you want to deny.

He also is fond of 'special case' arguments.

What is a "special case" argument?

The key to this being a fallacy is that there is no adequate reason for treating the situation differently. Since a different situation is, by definition, different, there is always some distinction to be made; the issue is whether this difference is sufficient. Obviously, the person making the argument thinks that it is sufficient, and stating that it is not will simply be dismissed as not recognizing the fact that this situation is totally different.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Special_pleading

Miracle stories are generally dismissed as fictional. But the case of Jesus in the gospel accounts is "different" and is not to be dismissed as fictional.

Is this a "special case" argument? Do ALL miracle legends have to be regarded the same? Must they ALL be fictional? Is it a logical fallacy to say that this particular miracle story here is fictional, whereas that one over there is factual? Why is that a logical fallacy?

Can't one claim be false and another true? Why is it necessary for all miracle claims to be false instead of some of them being true and others false?

Even if many or most miracle stories are proved false, must we then suppose that ALL such stories are false? Why? Why couldn't some be true, i.e., ones for which there is some evidence, though others are false.

Why isn't it sufficient to show a similarity, or common pattern, shared by the ones which are false and which easily explains how they were "made up" by someone, but not shared by the ones for which there is evidence and are more difficult to explain?

How is it a "fallacy" to say that this one case is different than those others? Aren't some "fish stories" true even though others are false?

If you prove that most lawyers are crooked, does that then mean ALL lawyers must be crooked? and if some lawyers claim to not be crooked, must they necessarily be committing the "special case" fallacy by claiming they're "different"?

Science can NEVER say that Christ's miracles are impossible because science can't make that claim. Except when it does and says exactly that about savant syndrome, . . .

No, science does not say that Christ's miracles are impossible or did not happen, or that savant phenomena did not happen or are impossible. These and some other phenomena are events which science cannot explain.

When science cannot explain something, honest scientists simply acknowledge that, i.e., that the explanation is not known. It's only pseudoscientists who say it's "impossible" if science cannot explain it, or that it could not have happened.

. . . which means maybe there's a power to heal.

Yes, maybe it's not necessary to start out with the dogmatic premise that there can be no such power, regardless of any facts suggesting otherwise. Maybe there is no such power, or maybe there is.

The Jesus-debunker arguments are mainly based on the dogmatic premise that there can be no such power, regardless of any evidence that such power has been demonstrated. Whereas the basic Christ-belief starts from the reasoning that we don't know for sure -- there may or may not be such power -- but evidence recorded in the gospel accounts, from the 1st century, shows the possibility that Jesus had such power.

So one side precludes discussion or reasoning on the question, ruling dogmatically that it cannot be so -- period, end of discussion! Whereas the pro-belief reasoning leaves open the possibility, leaving it an open question, and taking the accounts or evidence we have from history to draw the reasonable hope that such life-giving power is possible.

And he makes up self-serving definitions for words rather than try to use the common tongue.

The only word over which we quibbled was "miracle":

But there is no Absolute Scientific Decree that a "miracle" event cannot ever happen.

Actually, that's been offered many times as THE definition of miracle, something that is scientifically impossible, therefore the very fact of the event would prove God's hand must be involved.

Actually, that's been offered many times as THE definition of miracle, . . .

This isn't about someone's definition of a word. We're talking about whether something happened 2000 years ago. You cannot determine whether something happened by defining it out of existence. Only a historical investigation can deal with this, not someone's definition of a word. We're talking about "miracle" and "sign" etc. used in the New Testament, such as in the following:

It was declared at first through the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard him, while God added his testimony by signs and wonders and various miracles, . . .
(Hebrews 2:3-4)

1) "by signs" -- σημείοις

2) "wonders" -- τέρασιν

3) "miracles" -- δυναμεσίν

The meanings of these words are as follows:

1) semeion: sign, mark, token, a sign from the gods, an omen, a sign or signal to do a thing

2) teras: a sign, wonder, marvel, sign in heaven, a monster

3) dunamis: power, ability to do a thing, strength, might, authority, a force for war

from Liddell-Scott Greek Lexicon.

"something that cannot ever happen" is not part of the meaning. It can include notions about "the gods" doing it, but it doesn't have to include this meaning.

It might mean a rare happening, something difficult, improbable, "impossible" for normal humans. But not something that cannot ever happen, and not necessarily something that only the "the gods" could do.

The topic is demeaned by turning it into a petty squabble over word meanings.

Last edited:
" You need to explain why Jesus was mythologized into a god."
because people are creative and made shit up ( the story of jesus ) to explain the world in which they live and a the story of jesus is part of that fictional account/explanation.

it's called being superstitious.

why jesus specifically?
mostly because of jewish religious influence in the area, the messiah being inhuman wouldn't make much sense to the target audience

there are a few options on getting a god to become human, virgin birth is one

Last edited:
What else could explain the hundreds of thousands that follow the prophet Cindy Jacobs? I Wendy- I Wanda- I wonder...
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/samuel-rodriguez-hails-cindy-jacobs-legitimate-prophet-god
Jacobs is a self-proclaimed modern-day prophet who is infamous for having once declared that a rash of bird deaths in Arkansas was the result of the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. She routinely claims that her prayers have stopped terrorist attacks, saved the economy, prevented coups, and captured world leaders. Her prayers can likewise heal medical conditions, cure insanity, and even bring people back from the dead. Jacobs' prophetic gifts are so powerful, in fact, that even her young children had the power to stop tornadoes and prevent presidential assassinations.

Back
Top Bottom