• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

Why should I be persuaded by someone who tells me I'm evil for not believing or that I'm going to Hell? Why shouldn't I dismiss that as merely an abusive, manipulative belief system?

Telling people they are evil or hell-bound isn't what gets people into church.
It's what keeps them AWAY from church.

If someone tells you that, then they need to learn moar about Christianity.

Why should I be persuaded by someone who tells me I'm evil for not believing or that I'm going to Hell? Why shouldn't I dismiss that as merely an abusive, manipulative belief system?

Telling people they are evil or hell-bound isn't what gets people into church.
It's what keeps them AWAY from church.

If someone tells you that, then they need to learn moar about Christianity.

I know about Christianity. Psalms 14:

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

It's not like this stuff comes out of thin air. It's in your nonsensical Bible.

......snip......

.... we're both skeptical with some of the science theories.
So are scientists. Science continually attempts to falsify theories because scientists are skeptical. Both you and Lion seem to believe that scientists unquestionably BELIEVE all models, hypotheses, and theories to be TRUE. They don't.

Even atheists would say it was foolish to make empty claims about God's existence.

...Both you and Lion seem to believe that scientists unquestionably BELIEVE all models, hypotheses, and theories to be TRUE.

WUT?
When did I say that?
Please don't verbal me.
I certainly DO NOT think that and never have.

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

In context with other verses in Psalms 14: changes this perception.

2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.

5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.

6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.

2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.

It does? It's still saying unbelievers are corrupt.

Actually Jesus said that the only way into heaven is through belief in him.

No wiggle room there. Is there some other destination claimed by Christians other than heaven or hell? I haven't seen one given so that says atheists, followers of other religions, and those who never heard of Jesus are going to hell... Jesus said so.

No wiggle room there. Is there some other destination claimed by Christians other than heaven or hell? I haven't seen one given so that says atheists, followers of other religions, and those who never heard of Jesus are going to hell... Jesus said so.

It's always "the Bible doesn't say that!" even though that's exactly what it says.

No wiggle room there. Is there some other destination claimed by Christians other than heaven or hell? I haven't seen one given so that says atheists are going to hell... Jesus said so.

All I can say here ; it is worse for believers knowing they are doing the worst destable things and continuing to do so despite of knowing/believing there is God. (Even demons know of God but shiver) Atheists just generally don't know (Jesus's lost sheep) or have been mislead especially by those forces that know and oppose God (my belief) and as God says he knows what is in everyones heart because obviously Atheists are not evil apart from the maniacs. There's probably a lot more to it than I can explain or know,but indeed in the context to being saved, Jesus is the only way.

(sorry about deleted bit)

Last edited:
There's evidence (not proof) that the Jesus miracle stories are true, and there's no evidence that they were made up.

I am not claiming that the Jesus story is made up.

I am claiming that the story being a made-up fiction is certainly a possibility for which believers have a burden to counter.

Hmmm... I need to unpack this carefully.

So you're not claiming it's actually made up.

You're claiming the possibility that it's (possibly) made up.

And it's that "possibility" of error (untruth) which you think should be the epistemic default position against which everyone else has the persuasive burden of proof - proving that it's impossible the Jesus claims were possibly made up.

It's those who wrote the story, and those who propagate it, who are making the claim here. Asking them to demonstrate that it's true is not "claiming it's made up", it's simply asking for evidence to support the claim.

For us today, the accounts from the 1st century are evidence for what happened. Since these report miracle events it's reasonable to require extra corroboration, but we have that for the Jesus miracle acts, because of the 4 (5) accounts or extra sources reporting this, which puts these in a much higher category for credibility in comparison to other miracle claims.

If your demand for "evidence" rules out any claims about miracle events, then you are imposing the arbitrary dogma that miracle acts are automatically ruled out no matter what, in which case your "asking for evidence" is meaningless.

Reports that events happened are "evidence" that the events happened, unless you eliminate virtually all our historical facts, which are derived mostly from the written documents that have survived and which say the events happened. Except for these documents saying it happened, there is no evidence that the historical events happened.

You are claiming the story is made up and expecting us to believe that without evidence.

That's special pleading. That's effectively the same as getting down on your knees and begging us to believe you because you can't actually prove that all Jesus stories are deliberately made up - fabricated, invented, lies, myths...

No, it's not. It's just asking you to provide evidence for the story you claim is true.

But the existence of the story in the ancient writings, presented as events which happened, plus the extra sources, IS evidence for the story, just like this is evidence for any facts of history. Virtually all our history is based on the writings which say the events happened. Of course they're all subject to doubt -- all of them have to be questioned and analyzed for discrepancies, etc., but generally it's reasonable to believe the accounts if they are not contradicted by something else.

The mere fact that they contain miracle claims, by itself, does not disprove the writings. It means we need some extra corroboration, some extra sources, something beyond the normal requirement that it is reported in the document(s) and is not contradicted by other documents or evidence.

For the Jesus miracles we have this extra corroboration, because we have the extra sources instead of only one. Also, these sources are relatively close to the time of the alleged events, in comparison to most other historical events, for which it was typical for the earliest reports to appear more like 100 years later rather than as early as 30 or 40 years later.

If I told you my brother can blow flames out of his ears while floating six feet off the floor, would you say "I'd better believe that because I can't prove it's not true" . . .

At four feet off the floor it's possible, but not six feet.

. . . or would you ask me to provide evidence for it . . . or maybe even just dismiss it out of hand as something impossible under the laws of physics?

Assuming your brother is not now available to demonstrate this (perhaps he blew himself up in one of his performances), but you have some evidence, and there are others who make the same claim, then it should not necessarily be dismissed, if it's a serious claim. Depending on how many witnesses there were to it, or on the number of reports from them, it might be reasonable to believe it -- there's no reason to insist that it could not have happened if there's evidence that it did happen.

Of course today there is the high risk of a hoax being played, but if that is ruled out and those reporting this or claiming to have seen it have left us their account of what happened, why couldn't a reasonable person leave it open as a possibility?

The "default" position, barring any evidence other than your one report, would be to dismiss it. But for the Jesus miracle acts we have more than only one report.

It's self-evident that you think your own (skeptical) position as against the historical claims about Jesus should be the default truth position. Why should I believe your special pleading assertion that divine beings can't do supernatural stuff?

Skepticism should be the default position on claims which defy the laws of physics.

You mean "disbelief" rather than "skepticism" -- (You can't mean "skepticism" because this is ALWAYS the "default" position no matter what the claim is -- skepticism can never be wrong, so it's a tautology to say "skepticism" is the default position.)

Perhaps disbelief is normally the "default" position, but if there is extra evidence, such as extra testimony that the claim is true, then disbelief is not necessarily the "default" position at that point. It depends on the extra evidence.

And until it's been demonstrated that there is such a thing as "divine beings", there's no real basis for a discussion on what they can or can't do.

The miracle acts of Jesus are what was "demonstrated" -- or that power he had. That's all the demonstration that is necessary. Although it's true that we would be more convinced if a giant FIST from heaven would hammer down and punch flat anyone who says there can be no miracles or divine power, accompanied by a booming Voice, etc. Some kind of overwhelming show of force would help to prove the point with greater certainty. There's much we'd like to be more certain about.

If I told you my 65-foot long green dragon can fly, breathe fire and topple buildings with a swipe of his wings, your first reaction should be to question the very existence of my (or any other) 65-foot long green dragon, not to assume that it probably can because it's a 65-foot long green dragon.

(Let's assume the dragon is not available for inspection for some reason, so we have to rely on reports about it rather than direct observation.)

Any such claim is made more credible if there are others reporting the same phenomenon, as long as we know they're not doing this as a prank. If there are enough such serious reports of the "dragon," at some point the claim has to be taken seriously.

Humming birds can levitate. Nothing miraculous.
Mosquitos can walk on water. Nothing miraculous.
Dogs can hear stuff which humans can't. (Voices in their canine heads?)

No evidence these miracle accounts are made up? That's just not a true claim.

The evidence is clear that these miracle accounts grew with each retelling, and with each growth included things that did not happen. The writers of the gospels made up narratives about a census that never happened, a massacre of babies that never happened, a virgin birth, fake genealogies, details about private conversations they never could have been privy to, a 3 hour eclipse that never happened, a zombie apocalypse that never happened and dozens of other details that contradict each others stories so effectively that it is certain someone was lying. To suggest that in spite of this mountain of evidence of ongoing story-making-up that there is no evidence these accounts contained entirely fictitious material is demonstrably false.

These accounts begin appearing fully 40 years and 1500 miles removed from the scenes in which they allegedly occurred, giving the originators plenty of protection against gainsay.

These accounts tell of truly fantastic occurrences that any reasonable person would expect would have left some mark in the historical record. Much more significant than a vast number of considerably more mundane things that are recorded in the historical record of the time. Yet not a single trace of contemporary evidence exists. Even the earliest writings about this character (Paul's authentic epistles) never mention any of these fantastic deeds. They only tell of a hero god who sacrificed himself and was resurrected from the dead. Paul never refers to a ministry, never appeals to anything this character allegedly said when addressing doctrinal issues such as marriage/divorce/remarriage, never records anything about these miracles.

Early in the history of this movement pseudographic books began appearing, many of which found their way into the christian bible. These were the result of fraud, people claiming to be someone the never were. Several of the later Pauline epistles are frauds as are many of the general epistles. Pious fraud was a constant companion of christianity for as long as it is possible to review its history. There is no reason to believe it waited until after the writers of the various gospels were done with their works. In fact as I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of this post, we can be quite certain that pious fraud was alive and well with the very first gospels written.

Lumpenproletariat keeps holding on to this absurd claim that someone who copies and redacts a story 10 years later is "corroborative." No, this is not corroboration, it is retelling. The various gospel writers are not independent witnesses to the events they record. They are serial re-tellers of the same story, each separated by 10 or more years, and each with a copy of the earlier manuscript from which to refer as they forge their version of the story.

Any such claim is made more credible if there are others reporting the same phenomenon, as long as we know they're not doing this as a prank. If there are enough such serious reports of the "dragon," at some point the claim has to be taken seriously.

Millions upon millions of people believe god dictated the Book of Mormon directly to Joseph Smith and that it is "The most correct book on the earth." It is not necessary to take that claim seriously. Millions of people believe J.Z. Knight is in contact with Ramtha, an ancient warrior who guides her as a spiritual leader. It is not necessary to take that claim seriously. Millions of people believe L. Ron Hubbard's insane story about Zenu and the Thracians who inhabit most of our bodies, subverting our ability to reach our own potential. It is not necessary to take that seriously. As with the Jesus myth, people take these things seriously because of popularity and because of charismatic pimpers of the stories. Bandwagon effect is a powerful thing, but it's only evidence that people can be convinced of really bizarre stuff. It is never in itself good reason to believe the bizarre stuff.

If all one has is an appeal to popularity and that's sufficient for that person ... fine. It is not sufficient for me, and I am reasonably justified to be skeptical if nothing better can be produced.

Humming birds can levitate. Nothing miraculous.
Mosquitos can walk on water. Nothing miraculous.
Dogs can hear stuff which humans can't. (Voices in their canine heads?)

Seriously? This is your response?

Because certain creatures possess flight capability we are to believe a human being can levitate off the ground into the sky never to be seen again?

Because a mosquito is light enough to rest on the surface tension of calm water we should believe a man can walk upright on the waters of lake Galilee during a fierce storm?

Because (healthy) dogs have a slightly different hearing range than humans (humans can hear lower pitches than dogs) we are to believe .... what .... Paul the apostle could hear Jesus talking to him and nobody else could? Jesus didn't have the ability to change the frequency with which he attempted to communicate?

I have to say Lion IRC, your arguments may not be convincing in any sense of the word, but they're great for comedy relief!

:hysterical:

I wonder if 'supernatural' beings could use their superior knowledge of quantum mechanics and defy gravity.

Lumpenproletariat,

I think part of the misreading is that you keep referring to the gospels as "reports" and that they are "reporting" on events that happened. Is that really what you think they are doing? Are they moreso news stories that are describing events, and if so do you think they are biased and have a vested interest in the outcomes? Every human is subject to bias, but religion amplifies such biases to an enormous degree. When supernatural occurrences start being described, I think we are right to be skeptical that they are really "reports" of what was actually happening. They read more like fictional stories. Would the Christian god really punish someone for all eternity because they came away with that conclusion? Ack.

Brian

Skeptic: "I'm not interested in a religion that preaches barbarism."

Believer: "My religion preaches no such thing."

Skeptic: "Oh? That comes straight from your religion's scripture."

Believer: "My scripture does not say that!"

Skeptic: "Yes it does. <Quotes scripture which preaches barbarism>"

Believer: "That's not what that passage means!"

Skeptic: "Truly? Then why does this other believer say that is exactly what that passage means?"

Believer: "Because he's practicing my religion wrong!"

Skeptic: "Curious. Because the other believer has said the same thing about people like you."

Back
Top Bottom