• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2024 GOP Clown Car

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Right winged California radio host Larry Elder has just announced his candidacy for president in 2024.

Trump
DeSantis
Asa Hutchinson
Nikki Haley
Mike Pence
Etc.

The clown car is getting crowded.

Trump isn't eligible to run.

According to his own statement made on Monday 4 January 2021...
The fact is we won the presidential election, we won it big.
... he has been elected President in both 2016 and 2020.

And according to the 22nd Amendment:
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice

So you can take his name off the list.

Trump's indictment polling bounce is waning.

Yes... his numbers increased when he was indicted. We are so fucked.

Nine of the 10 Florida congressmorons who’ve announced their presidential endorsement have gone for Trump. So much for home field advantage.

Trump is a proven cash cow. DeSantis isn't. DeSantis is a lot more political competent, but so were the people Trump defeated in the 2016 primaries.

This guy caused a riot at the US Capitol that led to the evacuation of it... and the GOP is effectively supporting his re-nomination, because... money.

Tucker Carlson.
Right winged California radio host Larry Elder has just announced his candidacy for president in 2024.

Trump
DeSantis
Asa Hutchinson
Nikki Haley
Mike Pence
Etc.

I wonder if there's room for Tucker.

Ya know, of this batch I'd like Pence.

As much as I despise his politics, Mike Pence has personal integrity.

Think about it. Imagine the pressure Pence was under, starting before the 2020 election, to do what he was told. Do whatever it took to put Trump back in office. No matter what.

And then think about what he might have chosen on January 6, 2021. He had the power. And Trump supporters were outside in the lobby threatening to kill him. They were outside the building erecting gallows. The Capitol police were dithering about, clearly inept and unprepared.

Pence stuck to the democratic process. At huge risk to himself and his family, a risk that will go on pretty much forever. He told America's version of Hitler "No". Democracy must go on!
He will be paying a big price for that as long as he lives. And he knew that in the Capital Building as it happened.

I consider Pence a True American Hero.
Tom

I understand your argument, but maybe Pence is just a broken clock instead.
Why?

Pence could have derailed a basic American institution. One American people don't seem to care about. And he's paying dearly for it.

You dismiss him as a broken clock?
Seriously?
Tom

Tucker Carlson.

Trump
DeSantis
Asa Hutchinson
Nikki Haley
Mike Pence
Etc.

I wonder if there's room for Tucker.

Ya know, of this batch I'd like Pence.

As much as I despise his politics, Mike Pence has personal integrity.

Think about it. Imagine the pressure Pence was under, starting before the 2020 election, to do what he was told. Do whatever it took to put Trump back in office. No matter what.
He barely did the right thing. Huzzah.
And then think about what he might have chosen on January 6, 2021. He had the power. And Trump supporters were outside in the lobby threatening to kill him. They were outside the building erecting gallows. The Capitol police were dithering about, clearly inept and unprepared.

Pence stuck to the democratic process. At huge risk to himself and his family, a risk that will go on pretty much forever. He told America's version of Hitler "No". Democracy must go on!
Again, he barely did. He barely spoke out against Trump. He said nothing to expose the plan before hand. So no... he doesn't get too much credit for barely doing the right and legal thing.

Why?

Pence could have derailed a basic American institution. One American people don't seem to care about. And he's paying dearly for it.

Seriously?
Tom
More like an accidental hero IMO.
He would turn America over to the Christian Taliban in a heartbeat if he had the chance.

Why?

Seriously?
Tom
He was right. Once. On Jan 6th. He could not be more of a broken clock metaphor if he tried. Credit where it's due, certainly. But it's not enough for a man who was unconditionally at Trump's side for four years and then still decide not to relieve Trump.

Why?

Seriously?
Tom
More like an accidental hero IMO.
He would turn America over to the Christian Taliban in a heartbeat if he had the chance.
You beat me to it. I have wondered if Tom forgot to put the /s after his post because it's hard to understand why a gay man would say something positive about someone like Pence.

You beat me to it. I have wondered if Tom forgot to put the /s after his post because it's hard to understand why a gay man would say something positive about someone like Pence.
We didn't just meet Sohy. We've known each other for years.

I wouldn't call him a broken clock. I'd say he is a sniveling coward, and a first class toady. Before Jan 6 he was talking to other Republicans to see if what he was being pressured to do was legal, finally giving up when Dan Quayle told him he can't do that. If some of the people he talked to said to do it he probably would have.

I mean come on!! Trump sent an angry mob that threatened to kill him, and it has still taken years for the guy to barely even speak of disagreeing with Trump. Even during the presidency you could see he was a toady. There was one clip of some meeting where Trump took his water bottle off the table while talking, and Pence immediately took his bottle off as well.

We didn't just meet Sohy. We've known each other for years.
I know you've said that you're somewhat conservative, but Pence is so obviously a theocratic type Christian who would likely try to take away the rights of gay people, like for example gay marriage, that I was surprised that you would say something positive about someone like him. I have gay friends who are married and they would be horrified if Pence became president, at least partly out of fear that he might try to have SCOTUS do away with the right of gay people to marry and receive the same legal and financial rights as us straight married folks.

And, even after he did the right thing legally in 2021, afterwards he went on to defend Trump. He's a coward and/or a hypocrite among other things, so although you and I might not always agree on politics, which is cool, I was honestly surprised you would defend Pence. Does that help you understand where I'm coming from? I know it can be difficult always understanding each other when posting on a discussion board, so if my assumptions are wrong, let's clear this up.

Why would you personally defend someone like Pence, knowing how he feels about people outside of his narrow minded little ideology? Are you telling me that it's not that important to you that Pence would try to take away the rights of gay people, rights that have been won after years of hard work and activism? Did we take your comment too seriously? I honestly thought your comment might be sarcasm, so perhaps, if you feel up to it, you can explain why you would be positive about Pence.

Look! I'm happy that my governor Kemp didn't try to overturn the election in Georgia. He did the right thing. He's even done a few other good things for Georgia, but he still does things to hurt gay people and trans children, and he has been acting lately as if he's pushing Christianity on the rest of us, so just because he did a few good things, doesn't make me want to support him. I think that may be why the "broken clock" example was presented by Patooka. That made sense to me. :)

Last edited:
Tom

Seriously? The man who's refused subpoenas to testify, as recently as two years after the J6 insurrection? The man who dared to criticize Trump only at a private dinner with no reporters or cameras?

If the J6 coup had a real chance of success, Pence might have led the charge toward fascism. Instead criminal actions in the Senate would have provoked a counter-coup and violence. I doubt if even the Five Traitors running SCOTUS would have condoned a Trump-Pence coup.

Back
Top Bottom