• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

26 year old man running the length of Africa

rousseau

Contributor

With thousands of dollars in cash, and expensive camera equipment. Not surprisingly he was robbed at gunpoint once he reached Angola, which is one of the most dangerous regions on the continent.

“We lost a few thousand quids worth of stuff which is a big problem for us, but we will endeavour to soldier on and get things sorted.”

He said he was determined not to let the robbery ruin the challenge or the reputation of the country.

“Almost everyone we’ve met in Angola has been really friendly and welcoming, so it’s a shame this happened, but c'est la vie,” he added.

“It is a stressful and intense reality right now, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

At first I laughed when I read the article, but hopefully someone convinces him to stop and go home.

Angola might be dangerous from a crime standpoint (I do not recall) but things will get much worse farther north as he reaches the areas with Islamist violence. Not to mention the Sahara.

Angola might be dangerous from a crime standpoint (I do not recall) but things will get much worse farther north as he reaches the areas with Islamist violence. Not to mention the Sahara.

I was wondering about that. He also has to pass through the Congo, but I know the eastern Congo is worse than the west. Angola is pretty bad, but yes likely safer than the north.

To anyone who's done their research, what he's doing is ridiculous. When I started this thread I was about to make a joke about it, but then realized that he could feasibly be killed.

Yeah, this is one of those, you need a small army to make it work sort of deals. Preorganized with local governments, etc... granted, that helps, it doesn't mean he is definitely safe.

Of course, anyone doing 240 marathons in 360 days isn't well in the head.

I was wondering about that. He also has to pass through the Congo, but I know the eastern Congo is worse than the west. Angola is pretty bad, but yes likely safer than the north.

To anyone who's done their research, what he's doing is ridiculous. When I started this thread I was about to make a joke about it, but then realized that he could feasibly be killed.

Back in the 80s I was a passenger in a vehicle driving across Africa.

We did not hit Angola. We were originally planned to hit Congo but political issues forced a reroute.

Such organized groups no longer exist because there's no safe route for a vehicle, let alone a runner.

Back in the 80s I was a passenger in a vehicle driving across Africa.

We did not hit Angola. We were originally planned to hit Congo but political issues forced a reroute.

Such organized groups no longer exist because there's no safe route for a vehicle, let alone a runner.

I've often wondered about the logistics of visiting the continent today, not a lengthy route but just touching down somewhere. I know a few areas that are doable (South Africa and Namibia), but I'm not aware of much else.

Unfortunately, my wife has a low trigger threshold and likely wouldn't be on board.

I've often wondered about the logistics of visiting the continent today, not a lengthy route but just touching down somewhere. I know a few areas that are doable (South Africa and Namibia), but I'm not aware of much else.

Unfortunately, my wife has a low trigger threshold and likely wouldn't be on board.
South Africa would scare me these days. I'd love a rematch with Kilimanjaro but I don't think I could handle the food situation at this point, I otherwise consider it doable.

This is coming from a guy who does stupid things:

This guy did a stupid thing.

One of my idle pastimes is googling "nightlife in (some dangerous place)". For instance, "nightlife in Kabul" brings a suggestion of iCue Snooker & Cafe, with the photo showing guys in turbans shooting pool. Some African nightlife I've googled:
Kampala, Uganda: The Bleak Bar & Lounge
Mogadishu, Somalia: Relax Place -- it's southwest of Bar Love Mussolini
Gitega, Burundi: a bar called Sell Beer -- it's southeast of the hospital, just in case

Back
Top Bottom