• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

88 Retired, Old Conservatives Announce They Are Backing Donald Trump

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
Washington (CNN) Donald Trump's campaign released a letter Tuesday signed by 88 retired military leaders endorsing his presidential candidacy, including four four-star generals and 14 three-star flag officers, according to the campaign.

Other Republican nominees in recent election cycles have managed to secure a larger number of generals and admirals as public backers.
Sen. John McCain, a former Naval Aviator, was endorsed by 300 generals and admirals in his 2008 contest with Barack Obama.
An even bigger number backed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in 2012 via a full-page ad in the Washington Times.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/06/politics/donald-trump-military-leaders-endorsement-letter/

So let's see: 88/300 ~= 29%. Yup, that's about the percent you'd expect an extremely partisan subset of a partisan group to have.

Well, Trump's plan to have the Mexicans get off their lawns and turn down the rock and roll music is appealing to them.

Top military brass never know where the money tit is,right?

Generals are akin to dictators.

They use the power of their position to issue arbitrary commands within a rigid hierarchy.

They may be necessary but they have no connection to democracy.

And their thoughts on democracy are no better than some bum lying in the street.

They use the power of their position to issue arbitrary commands within a rigid hierarchy.

And their thoughts on democracy are no better than some bum lying in the street.

That's actually a good point.

I believe Trump's biggest margin of support over Hillary is amongst the military demographic group.

Every general is a failure, else they would have prevented the conflicts they waged.

Both of my older brothers are Viet Nam war veterans (and H-D bikers) and one a Purple Heart recipient. Both supported Sanders and will not vote for Trump.

While there are many studies of the psychology of common soldiers, I've always wondered about the high ranking officers. What effect does living in an environment where the vast majority of people you interact with must obey you and agree with you at all times? I've often noted that rich people are often surrounded by bubbles of yes men; does the same hold true for high ranking officers? I know that in military organizations there are attempts to mitigate this, but how effective are they?

While there are many studies of the psychology of common soldiers, I've always wondered about the high ranking officers. What effect does living in an environment where the vast majority of people you interact with must obey you and agree with you at all times? I've often noted that rich people are often surrounded by bubbles of yes men; does the same hold true for high ranking officers? I know that in military organizations there are attempts to mitigate this, but how effective are they?

Sir! The attempts to mitigate this effect succeeded perfectly, just as you predicted they would, sir!

Including Bonker Boykin

Yeah, such a great list, which includes right wing conspiracy luvin crazy Jerry Boykin:
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/donald-trump-touts-endorsement-far-right-activist-jerry-boykin
High up on that list is retired Lt. Gen. William G. “Jerry” Boykin, who joined the Family Research Council after leaving the Army.

Trump, who has built his campaign around anti-Muslim attacks, finds a natural ally in Boykin, whose anti-Muslim views are so extreme that he was reprimanded by President George W. Bush for declaring—while speaking in uniform—that the U.S. was engaged in a holy war against Islam.

Boykin, the FRC’s executive vice president, has engaged in a wide range of bizarre conspiracy theories and extremist rhetoric. As we noted back when Boykin endorsed Trump’s rival Ted Cruz, Boykin:

Said that “Islam is not a religion and does not deserve First Amendment protections,” and wants “no mosques in America.”
Thinks Christians should act more like ISIS and be “willing to die” for their God.
Said Jesus, who’s a real “man’s man,” will return to earth carrying an AR-15.

I believe Trump's biggest margin of support over Hillary is amongst the military demographic group.
Actually it is dumbass uneducated white males.

Yeah, dumbass White males. It is a mystery why they don't support the Democrats and the Hildabeast after being told endlessly that they're a bunch of dumbasses. Dumbasses.

Yeah, dumbass White males. It is a mystery why they don't support the Democrats and the Hildabeast after being told endlessly that they're a bunch of dumbasses. Dumbasses.
Must be a reflection of being tired of being told that being educated doesn't mean I know anything, by people who are uneducated (and untrained).

The real question is how could they possibly support some ignoramus who has no interest in helping them, can't possibly relate to them, and who has done little but think of himself his whole life?

Their hatreds blind them. That is their ignorance.

Well, every authority figure in the military is akin to a dictator. The intentional structure of the military is to provide very clear lines of authority and direction, not debate. When I was a 3rd class petty officer directing seamen in building clean-up, i was akin to a dictator within the boundaries of my area of authority.
Well, if some tends to issue arbitrary commands, they don't get promoted to general... Arbitrary commands don't achieve the objectives, whether they're strategic, tactical, political or public relations goals.
Well, thanks to the constitution, both the bums and the flag officers are allowed to have opinions, and share them. Although, you may be right, it could be amusing if the generals had to wash windshields at stoplights in order to express those opinions....

Well, every authority figure in the military is akin to a dictator. The intentional structure of the military is to provide very clear lines of authority and direction, not debate. When I was a 3rd class petty officer directing seamen in building clean-up, i was akin to a dictator within the boundaries of my area of authority.

So I am right.

Well, if some tends to issue arbitrary commands, they don't get promoted to general... Arbitrary commands don't achieve the objectives, whether they're strategic, tactical, political or public relations goals.

I'm talking about things like the invasion of Iraq. A completely arbitrary and unneeded action.

Well, thanks to the constitution, both the bums and the flag officers are allowed to have opinions, and share them. Although, you may be right, it could be amusing if the generals had to wash windshields at stoplights in order to express those opinions....

The Constitution is a withered piece of paper. It can't do anything and it is totally ignored in terms of using the military.

What gave Americans the freedom of speech was the Courts (judicial activism) and it really didn't happen until the 20th Century.

So I am right.
As far as that went...
I'm talking about things like the invasion of Iraq. A completely arbitrary and unneeded action.
Um...who was it who sent the military to Iraq? Was it a four star or a three star? Army, Air Force or Navy? I seem to remember someone in a suit, not a uniform...

But, hey, you hate the military. Noted.

I guess you're right. Educated people can be dumbasses, too, but I don't think that telling someone they're a dumbass is a bad thing. Someone has to tell them.

As far as that went...
Um...who was it who sent the military to Iraq? Was it a four star or a three star? Army, Air Force or Navy? I seem to remember someone in a suit, not a uniform...

But, hey, you hate the military. Noted.

Any sub order in an arbitrary invasion is an arbitrary order.

And Marine Corps vets like myself don't hate the military.

We don't worship it as is the fashion these days either.

We don't thank any luckless fool for their service. We merely hope they don't get harmed by the orders of fascists like Bush and Cheney.

And weaklings like Obama.

Back
Top Bottom