• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

88 Retired, Old Conservatives Announce They Are Backing Donald Trump

As far as that went... Um...who was it who sent the military to Iraq? Was it a four star or a three star? Army, Air Force or Navy? I seem to remember someone in a suit, not a uniform...

But, hey, you hate the military. Noted.

Any sub order in an arbitrary invasion is an arbitrary order.
That must be one special definition of 'arbitrary' you're using.
Giving orders to the troops to achieve the orders given by those appointed over them... Seems about the very opposite of 'arbitrary' to me.
And Marine Corps vets like myself don't hate the military.
'Kay.
We don't worship it as is the fashion these days either.
'Kay.
We don't thank any luckless fool for their service. We merely hope they don't get harmed by the orders of fascists like Bush and Cheney.

And weaklings like Obama.
'Kay.

Could you define 'arbitrary,' please?

All this lofty talk is about stuff that can be observed but not effected. At the end of the day it's all about the money. People are in a mood to blindly strike out, and what better way than with guns, bombs and drones? The otherwise unemployed young people who wield all that weaponry understand the need for the hierarchy that makes them a cohesive team in the field. They don't think twice once given the order, about pulling the string on any of those weapons - which is as it should be. Rarely though does it occur to them that they might be expending in a second enough cash to have put a dozen students through college, fund programs to deter kids from joining gangs back in the 'hood or a million other things. The people who ended up with that cash have no desire to run the well dry. As of late, there has been an amazingly stable level of global conflict and threat; it "almost" looks like levels are being manipulated to maintain a constant level of costs. As much conflict as can be sustained. You don't want to kill the golden goose by letting things get so fast and furious that the pitchforks come out and social order totally breaks down... but if you can keep the strife going at a manageable level, you can keep making money from domestic applications, even as you continue to feed the cash cows of "global terrorism", "Russian aggression" etc. To do this, all you need is representation in government, and since Citizens United, Americans have committed to letting that representation go to the highest bidder. The real pity, is that it is now in the interest of these elected clowns to continue to degrade the lives of the very segment of people whom they claim to represent. As long as the rabble remain compliant, all that is needed is something to be ever more angry about and a demon to blame for it. ISIS is the greatest thing EVER for the arms suppliers.

Psychoanalyzing the Trump military supporter is entertaining, but pretty pointless other than that.

Any sub order in an arbitrary invasion is an arbitrary order.

How do you not invade a nation in an arbitrary fashion?

Is there some book of rules?

What was the non-arbitrary day and place to invade?

And I am not using any special definition of arbitrary.

I would need to know what you think 'arbitrary' means to understand this question.

I mean, if I'm in charge of deck division, and i randomly pick an area of the weatherdeck for them to clean, just to keep them busy, _I_ am being arbitrary when i say 'Quarterdeck,' though i had non-arbitrary reasons for making them clean SOMEplace. But the man in charge of the cleaning party is not being arbitrary at all when he takes the party off to do what i told him to do. At least not by any use of arbitrary that i'm familiar with.

A dictionary...?

I would need to know what you think 'arbitrary' means to understand this question.

I mean, if I'm in charge of deck division, and i randomly pick an area of the weatherdeck for them to clean, just to keep them busy, _I_ am being arbitrary when i say 'Quarterdeck,' though i had non-arbitrary reasons for making them clean SOMEplace. But the man in charge of the cleaning party is not being arbitrary at all when he takes the party off to do what i told him to do. At least not by any use of arbitrary that i'm familiar with.

A dictionary...?

You're the one asking for a definition.

Arbitrary is the same as capricious.

How do you not invade a nation in a capricious manner?

Which god points to the non capricious location to attack first?

Invasions themselves are not arbitrary. Armies simply do not wander into a country. The choice of a target may or may not be arbitrary. If country B chooses to invade country A in order to
a) stop a genocide, or
b) prevent the stated intention of country A to invade country B, then it is hard for me to imagine either motivations as "arbitrary".

You're the one asking for a definition.
Yes, I am. You're using the word in a strange way that doesn't make sense.
I was kinda hoping you'd explain your position rather than just keep repeating it. You're starting to sound like The Donald.
Arbitrary is the same as capricious.
I didn't ask for a synonym.
How do you not invade a nation in a capricious manner?
Considering the amount of coordination necessary to get an army into a hostile country, 'arbitrary' and 'capricious' seem entirely unsuited to describing the effort. Did all the invaders end up in the same country? Did they all invade on the same day? Were they wearing the same or similar costumes? Were their attacks coordinated and their clocks synchronized?

That's not an arbitrary result.
Which god points to the non capricious location to attack first?
Okay, you've lost me again. Who's claiming a deity was involved in the coordination?
But, hey, if there was an agreed-upon starting point where everyone attacked first, how in the fuck is that an arbitrary event?

Considering the amount of coordination necessary to get an army into a hostile country, 'arbitrary' and 'capricious' seem entirely unsuited to describing the effort. Did all the invaders end up in the same country? Did they all invade on the same day?
I dunno, it seems like the drones sure bombed capriciously across much of the ME :cheeky:

Were they wearing the same or similar costumes? Were their attacks coordinated and their clocks synchronized?

Ooh, synchronized military :D

Invasions themselves are not arbitrary. Armies simply do not wander into a country. The choice of a target may or may not be arbitrary. If country B chooses to invade country A in order to
a) stop a genocide, or
b) prevent the stated intention of country A to invade country B, then it is hard for me to imagine either motivations as "arbitrary".

It was already a given that the invasion itself was arbitrary, not necessary in any way.

If you have an unnecessary invasion how is any move made by the invader not arbitrary?

It can be done in infinite ways.

unter, consider Iraq war as an example. Are you saying that the choice between war and diplomacy was arbitrary? OR are you saying that the decision to go to war was capricious and/or unfair? OR are you saying something else?

unter, consider Iraq war as an example. Are you saying that the choice between war and diplomacy was arbitrary? OR are you saying that the decision to go to war was capricious and/or unfair? OR are you saying something else?

It was an unprovoked invasion, calling it a war is just to try to deflect from this truth.

There was a choice between invading and not invading. And there was no consequence, except a safer world as it turns out, to not invading.

So a decision to invade was arbitrary.

Back
Top Bottom