• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A conversion story in the politics forum

I recently experienced something of the opposite. I used to feel really strongly in support of the social safety net here in Ontario / Canada, until I lost my employment. I had paid into EI for years, so I applied for some benefits from it. I learned very quickly how stupidly set up it is, how easily I could exploit it if I wanted to, how many other social assistance programs I could apply for and get pretty easily, and how it could all discourage people from finding new work. I'm learning more about it as I go through the process and it is rapidly depleting my support for these programs. I am surprised just how much you can get out of them, and for how long you can stay on them. If I didn't bore easily and didn't enjoy working in my industry, I would be tempted to free ride. That shouldn't be.

I would still very much cry for reform down there in the US, especially with your messed up medical situation. Why on earth don't you have single payer health care system like the rest of the modern world? But I can now see why conservatives say the things they do about social assistance.

If I didn't bore easily and didn't enjoy working in my industry, I would be tempted to free ride. That shouldn't be.

Do you think there is a significant number of people who don't bore easily and don't enjoy working in some industry?

I recently experienced something of the opposite. I used to feel really strongly in support of the social safety net here in Ontario / Canada, until I lost my employment. I had paid into EI for years, so I applied for some benefits from it. I learned very quickly how stupidly set up it is, how easily I could exploit it if I wanted to, how many other social assistance programs I could apply for and get pretty easily, and how it could all discourage people from finding new work. I'm learning more about it as I go through the process and it is rapidly depleting my support for these programs. I am surprised just how much you can get out of them, and for how long you can stay on them. If I didn't bore easily and didn't enjoy working in my industry, I would be tempted to free ride. That shouldn't be.

I would still very much cry for reform down there in the US, especially with your messed up medical situation. Why on earth don't you have single payer health care system like the rest of the modern world? But I can now see why conservatives say the things they do about social assistance.

I like oyour post. It should give us an opportunity to think about universal health care as meaning that any plan, just because it's a safety net, doesn't mean it's true help or foolproof. These should be intelligently designed and frequently they aren't. The biggest problem is that any criticism is immediately sucked into the polarized for/against debate, which is irrational.

Back
Top Bottom