• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A new scandal suffix?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Russian speakers - how do you say “gate” in Russian?

Seems like it’s a component of many contemporary scandals...

"Ворота" (per google)
Three syllable suffixes can be somewhat unwieldy. Good idea, though :)

-gate stems from Watergate. I don't think it really should be translated.

Frankly, I am sick of hearing -gate used as a suffix for any kind of scandal or controversy. Watergate wasn't a scandal about water, it was a scandal about the Watergate building. There's no suffix involved.

I mean, it would no sense to discuss 'Uranium Oneghazi' as a short-hand for the Uranium One pseudo-scandal and the subsequent pointless investigations. '-ghazi' isn't a suffix; Like '-gate', it's just the last bit of a proper noun.

I would very much like to lobby the media to drop this pathetic and stupid trope, but I fear that if I make it sufficiently controversial and high profile, they will report it as 'Gategate'.

-gate stems from Watergate. I don't think it really should be translated.

I know where it comes from. The watergate hotel was named after something too, of course. A gate. For water.

I too am tire of the -gate suffix and that’s why I was amused to replace it by “Vorota” as a nod to the ultimate source of all current scandals, apropos to the quote from its premiere opening in 1961: When Italian architect Luigi Moretti first unveiled his design for the Watergate Complex, devotees of Washington's neoclassical architecture declared the bold design blasphemous and "as appropriate as a strip dancer performing at your grandmother's funeral."

So it's WaterVorota now?
And what is watergare?
Dictionary says it's a gate (to a city/castle) on water.
And gate for water but it's marked as archaic.
"Vorota" are not used for the last one.

So it's WaterVorota now?
And what is watergare?

Barbos? You're joking about this right?

Eh, the new suffix should be boob, because Trump is one and because of his womanly physique. As in, Russiaboob and Collusionboob and Obstructionboob. And Stormyboob. (All right!)

So it's WaterVorota now?
And what is watergare?

Barbos? You're joking about this right?
No, why?

Curiosity is why I asked. Sometimes jokes aren't obvious on forums.

72 election Dem HQ was in the Watergate hotel. Nixon had cronies break in to find dirt. Nixon tried to cover it up. Resigned in lieu of impeachment.

I too am tire of the -gate suffix and that’s why I was amused to replace it by “Vorota” as a nod to the ultimate source of all current scandals, apropos to the quote from its premiere opening in 1961: When Italian architect Luigi Moretti first unveiled his design for the Watergate Complex, devotees of Washington's neoclassical architecture declared the bold design blasphemous
THE_WATERGATE_Complex_image.jpg

I don't get the hatred. Blasphemous? Really?
and "as appropriate as a strip dancer performing at your grandmother's funeral."
Depends on the grandmother. If she was really into getting lapdances it might be appropriate. Like a theme funeral.

Curiosity is why I asked. Sometimes jokes aren't obvious on forums.

72 election Dem HQ was in the Watergate hotel. Nixon had cronies break in to find dirt. Nixon tried to cover it up. Resigned in lieu of impeachment.

LOL, I asked about word "watergate" not the scandal.

Oh, okay. I'd thought you were talking about the scandal; it's why I wondered if you were joking.

Given the current state of affairs, we may as well use “-fuck”, as in Trump-fuck, Russia-fuck, climate-fuck, etc., because we’re all fucked.

So it's WaterVorota now?
And what is watergare?
It is the general word for gate, and not just a drawbridge. Like in Золотые Ворота (мост) - Zolotyje Vorota (most) - Golden Gate (bridge)

As to Benghazi, its name means "son of Ghazi", likely from  Ghazi (warrior)

So it's WaterVorota now?
And what is watergare?
It is the general word for gate, and not just a drawbridge. Like in Золотые Ворота (мост) - Zolotyje Vorota (most) - Golden Gate (bridge)

As to Benghazi, its name means "son of Ghazi", likely from  Ghazi (warrior)

Sure, but in that case, 'ben-' is a prefix. '-ghazi' isn't a suffix, it's the core word.

Perhaps we could use that? 'Benwatergate', 'Benrussia', 'Benbenghazi', etc. :p

I don't get the hatred. Blasphemous? Really?

I think because it was such a modern design in the stodgy capital area. Like when the Eiffel tower was erected and people hated on that. BUt I thought the analogy in the quote was funny - yeah that’s totally what came to mind...

Back
Top Bottom